Phenom II x4 945 95W voltage under load

Tknockers

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi all, Is it normal that phenom II x4 945 cpu voltage is rising under load ( it varies from 1.30 to 1.38 according to occt or cpu-z )? Mobo is Asrock 770DE

Tknockers

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
P.S I'm new to AMD so my experience on the matter is limited :) Any link to a useful thread is appreciated.. Thx in advance!

Tknockers

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks OvrClkr , I'm used to Intel's core voltage dropping under load so this was quite a shock for me hahaha.. Are there any bios settings perhaps that would minimize this effect? And is this the case with phenoms on all motherboards, or just with cheaper ones? I mean, does it depend of motherboards voltage regulation or it is the way it's meant to be.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
It's not so much that is rises under load, it's more that Cool'n'Quiet lowers it when it's not under load, so it's perfectly normal and no reason to change it.

On CPUs without Cool'n'Quiet (or equivalent) then there might be a slight voltage drop under load, this isn't by design as such, it happens when ever any devise tries to draw more power.

Tknockers

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Well my problem is that it rises under load, at least so does occt or cpu-z say, even Asrock's own monitor confirms it... That is why it's so unclear to me whether it is a sensor malfunction or something is severly wrong with motherboards voltage regulators. I contacted AMD on the matter and they said that third party software is probably reading it wrong, now I don't know about that, but they also said If there are no blue screens, bsods, freezes etc..everything is fine. I've never had similar issue with my q9400, sure there is vdroop, but that's something completely different than this..

Tknockers

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
OvrClkr you were 100% right.. The difference between bios value and value shown by cpu-z is voltage offset. Apparently 0.1V is a standard value for Phenom II.. That is why core temp and amd overdrive show exactly 1.3V ( CPU VID )while cpu-z shows 1.296-1.39V under load ( CPU VID 9+OFFSET = acctual Core Voltage ).. Just downloaded AMD's official ocing guide and it is mentioned there also..