Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD for student laptop

Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2011 9:21:22 PM

This is my first post on these forums, and I'd like to express my gratitude for any and all replies in advance!

I'm starting college this summer, and as such, I find myself in need of a laptop and an SSD to go with it.
I've been reading endless articles and reviews of SSDs, both on these forums and on Anandtech, and still I'm at a loss.

This is utterly confusing business!

I sincerely hope you'll permit me to benefit from the expertise of this community when I ask you:

Which SSD should I choose for an ultra portable laptop?

The laptop (on which I'm yet to decide) will be used for the basics - taking notes, playing music and watching HD movies on my TV.. Nothing heavy by any means.

With regard to the drive, I was thinking ~100GB range, probably with a SATA ll connection (I doubt an ultra portable within my budget would have a SATA lll connection).
Reliability is paramount, since I doubt I'd perform any heavy I/O operations; however, it should be somewhat quick, primarily with application launching and boot time (which I guess is random read?)

I've been considering OCZ Vertex 2 120GB / Intel 320 120GB, but I'm very much open to any feedback/suggestions.

Cheers!

More about : ssd student laptop

a b D Laptop
a c 305 G Storage
April 28, 2011 12:57:41 PM

Go JohnnyLucky. I suspect that that's going to be the answer to the "which SSD" question for a while.
m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2011 3:03:30 PM

Yea I spotted that article yesterday, which is what turned me onto the Intel. I just thought i read somewhere, that the 25nm NAND of the 320 would increase the failure rate. If this is correct, would it still be the superior choice compared to for example the Vertex 2?
m
l

Best solution

a c 303 G Storage
April 28, 2011 3:32:12 PM

Based on a survey last year the actual failure rates of solid state drives appear to be lower than the failure rate for hard disk drives.

I think what you are actually referring to is the life cycle of the NAND flash memory. It's been blown way out of proportion. With proper firmware and configuration for optimal performance it is not a problem. Even the most conservative estimates suggest a solid state drive should last a minimum of 5 years.

Here's a link to a series of articles about optimizing Windows and ssd's:

http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/optimizatio...
April 28, 2011 4:47:59 PM

I'll get on it, thanks.
There's obviously a point in waiting until the last minute with buying anything, but it seems the Intel 320 is the way to go.
It's even cheaper than Vertex 2, which i guess is just another plus.
m
l
May 5, 2011 12:26:15 PM

Thanks JLucky for that link - helps answers a few questions I have (cheers also to Andrew Ku of course!)
m
l
May 8, 2011 11:35:10 AM

Best answer selected by freddy1765.
m
l
!