Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External Enclosures - Trying to find one that turns on/off with the PC

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2011 1:21:02 AM

To me it seems, an ideal external enclosure would be one that is powered the whole time, but only spins the hard drive up when it senses the PC/NAS/MAC turning on. Is this correct thinking? Does anyone know of any external enclosures that do this? It seems that most ext. enclosures on newegg keep the HDD's running all the time, which to me is not only a waste of power, but seems like it would burn out a hard drive faster...either way, thanks for any help that you might give! :) 

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
April 28, 2011 5:58:19 AM

If you buy an external enclosure that has a "Green" drive inside, most of these spin down the drive after a period of inactivity whether the main system is on or not.

The other alternative is to buy a portable external drive (with the 2.5" form factor) that connects via USB and is powered by the USB bus. As long a the system shuts down the USB port when it powers off then of course the drive will power off too.
Related resources
April 28, 2011 3:15:28 PM

sminlal said:
If you buy an external enclosure that has a "Green" drive inside, most of these spin down the drive after a period of inactivity whether the main system is on or not.

The other alternative is to buy a portable external drive (with the 2.5" form factor) that connects via USB and is powered by the USB bus. As long a the system shuts down the USB port when it powers off then of course the drive will power off too.

Thats good, I wasnt sure if the green drives would still spin down since the enclosure didnt have a 'brain' to tell it was not running or something. In that case, I think this enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . Is what Im going to get...unless there is a better enclosure that someone knows of?? I figure the optional fan and two 'green' drives should keep the system rather cool most of the time.

Knott, thanks, but I need to have some power source that isnt from inside a PC since its going to plug into my NAS and not be a part of a PC that has the appropriate power cables
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
April 28, 2011 5:04:39 PM

TheGreatAus said:
Thats good, I wasnt sure if the green drives would still spin down since the enclosure didnt have a 'brain' to tell it was not running or something.
It's the firmware in the drive itself that controls the inactivity spindown for most green drives, so it doesn't depend on any "smarts" in the host system or enclosure. The downside is that green drives won't perform quite as well since they spin more slowly, and you'll experience a delay of a few seconds if you try to access data on the drive when it's spun down.
m
l
April 28, 2011 6:06:41 PM

sminlal said:
It's the firmware in the drive itself that controls the inactivity spindown for most green drives, so it doesn't depend on any "smarts" in the host system or enclosure. The downside is that green drives won't perform quite as well since they spin more slowly, and you'll experience a delay of a few seconds if you try to access data on the drive when it's spun down.

Yeah, that must mean that the hard drive in my NAS is a green one then. The Seagate NAS I have is nice, only turns on when the PS3 is turned on or if a computer in the house tries to access the NAS folders. I thought there was something special with the NAS itself...thanks for the clarification :)  The green drive in the NAS does take about 4 seconds to spin up and show the data, but I can deal with that if the drive is cooler and lasts longer (hopefully it lasts longer than one that spins at all times...)

m
l
May 8, 2011 12:23:21 AM

Best answer selected by thegreataus.
m
l
!