corschutz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have an Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard from an HP desktop. I took the processor and sold it, and am looking to get something cheaper and giving this as a gift. According to HP's site it only supports Core 2 CPU's and up. It's socket 775 though, so can I use ANY socket 775 processor even though HP doesn't say so?

Solution

Most of the time, no. Even though cpus maybe able to fit the same socket, not very many of the newest cpus will work an older motherboard (and sometime it's the same the other way around.)

Now normally how to fix this issue is do a bios update but that still wont give you the ability to use all cpus on that same socket.

Example is like if i had a Lga 775 intel p4 cpu and i wanted to put on the motherboard you have...

Most of the time, no. Even though cpus maybe able to fit the same socket, not very many of the newest cpus will work an older motherboard (and sometime it's the same the other way around.)

Now normally how to fix this issue is do a bios update but that still wont give you the ability to use all cpus on that same socket.

Example is like if i had a Lga 775 intel p4 cpu and i wanted to put on the motherboard you have it wont work. if i try to put a Core 2 quad Q9550 it may not work. (if you lucky the bios maybe able to use some of it but it wont be able to fully use it.)

Here are the cpus that can work on your MB.

* Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield core) Q9xxx
* Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale core) E8xxx
* Intel Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield core) up to Q6600
* Core 2 Duo E6x00 (Conroe core) up to E6700
* Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe core) up to E4400

Solution