Suggestions on i7 build for a first time builder please

crewsro

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I’ve never built a computer before but I’m down for the challenge. I need a new computer and I’ve decided to try and build one myself because I don’t want to be stuck with a PC that is minimally upgradeable near the end of its life. I figured with DDR3 and core i7 so readily available and fairly inexpensive, now’s the best time to invest and since it’s so fresh, I should be able to extend my pc’s shelf-life much longer than before. I want a machine that will handle most video games I throw it. I currently don’t play too many PC games, I’m a console gamer but hopefully this new build will change my mind. I’d also like it to be able to handle all my home theater needs. One day I’d like a digital library of music and movies. I don’t do much on my computer currently but that doesn’t mean I don’t want a powerhouse. Just like everyone else, I want to own the fastest computer EVER!!! I’m no expert when it comes to computers. I probably just know enough to do more harm than good, but I’m learning. This is just kind of a hobby for me. I do know exponentially more than any of my friends, including my local Geek Squad, so I don’t have anyone to discuss my new build with. That being said, I really need your help, please. Any advice, recommendations or comments are welcomed. I’m so ready to get those parts in the mail and boot up for the first time

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon, I would have bought it last week if I knew what I was doing BUDGET RANGE: Around $1500, but willing to go higher, I just don’t want to spend a bunch of money where I don’t have too.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Surfing the web, gaming, home theater pc, streaming movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor (I was planning on using my Panasonic 52” PZ800U as my monitor), I have a Logitech wireless keyboard w/mousepad

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I’ve been looking at tigerdirect and newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: core i7 , I think I wanna go with a Radeon HD for graphics

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920X1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I like the blue cases for some reason. I think that the light and side window are cool looking but I prefer functionality. I really like these two cases however I don’t know how functional they’ll be. I haven’t found much in the way of review for either of these.
NZXT Apollo BLUE NP Blue SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
APEVIA X-TELSTAR-BL Blue/ Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer CaseNo Power Supply - Retail

Also I cannot decide which motherboard to go with, I think I want a ASUS but I don’t know the difference between the two.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-for the regular ASUS P6T 1366, sometimes I see where it says max memory supported is 12GB and sometimes it says 24GB, I didn’t know if this would affect my ability to upgrade in the future.

As for the processor, I’m gonna go with
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
-For right now, I’m not planning on doing any overclocking, but I would like the option down the road.

Like I said I want to stay with ATI, I’m just going to get one card now, and I might upgrade in the future to implement Crossfire if it will help performance. I cannot decide exactly which ATI to pick.
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail or
SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video ... - Retail
Other components:
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
I thought about getting a raptor 10k RPM drive, but I didn’t know if I’d notice a difference, I chose this drive cause I figured it would be the easiest for me to upgrade later to a RAID configuration
Memory: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
PSU: I haven’t chose one yet but I figured I should go with 750-850 w
Other: I figured if I every decide to overclock, I could upgrade my cooling solutions at that time.

Thanks for looking at this for me guys, I cant wait to get started building.

crewsro

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I was also wondering if it would be worth it to get one of the killer xeno gaming network cards. It seems to have mixed reviews

Your build looks pretty reasonable

i7
3 x 2 gig of ram

750 watt is more than enough ... corasir , pc power and cooling , seasonic

Thankfully we all like different things with cases . Your picks are a little unique as far as Im concerned but go for it .
Remember that any case becomes blue if you can paint .

Its unlikely that you will be needing more than 6 gig of ram in the foreseeable future . None of your uses would benefit from more

Go for it .
Building is easy , if you can follow instructions

tecmo34

Administrator
My Recommendations
Case: Your choice of your two cases or either the Antec 902 or Cooler Master HAF 922
CPU: Core i7 920 (of course)
MOBO: ASUS P6T... No need to spend for the extras if you don't plan to use them.
RAM: OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 (of course)
GPU: Sapphire HD4890
PSU: Corsair TX750
HDD: Western Digital 640GB Black... You will see a difference in speeds over your HDD and close to the same speeds as the VRaptor for about the fourth of the price.
HSF: Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V... I still recommend a cooler even if you aren't planning on OCing.

crewsro

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Thanks guys, I finally bought my rig today, hopefully it'll be here Wednesday. Now i'm trying to decide what to do about the OS. My original plan was to run the Win 7 RC till next year but looking at the prices now, I might be better off to do the Vista Home 64bit with free Win 7 upgrade.

The only thing I'm not sure about is I don't understand what it means when it says "for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM ".
I'm confused b/c on newegg, this windows vista Home 64bit (NEWEGG's) is $109.99 and the price according to microsoft for windows vista home 64bit is $239.95.

Now I notice there is another win vista home 64 on Newegg for $99

I'm thoroughly confused now. Does the system builder w/tech guarantee mean that I won't have access to tech support? And does this effect how many computer I can install this OS on if I decide to upgrade my MOBO later?