Powering G-Drive Mini

thesilentbob

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I have a G-Drive Mini Firewire 400/USB 2.0 hard drive that I am going to be using for recording with Pro Tools on my PC. I believe that Pro Tools requires using firewire for external hard drives. My computer does have a 4-pin port but the hard drive is a 6-pin. I know that I can get a 6-pin to 4-pin cable, but my question is how can I power the hard drive. Can I use the USB port on the hard drive just to power it or will that create some sort of crazy double hard drive paradox? Or is there some magic 6-pin to 4-pin firewire with a little USB sidecar guy for power on it? Or do I just have to buy a DC adapter? Thanks for the help.

Solution
The most stable configuration (for what you intend to use it for) would be a DC adapter. Gives constant power, no messing around with mismatched cables, will make it work even for non-powered USB ports (sometimes plenty of them on laptops).
The most stable configuration (for what you intend to use it for) would be a DC adapter. Gives constant power, no messing around with mismatched cables, will make it work even for non-powered USB ports (sometimes plenty of them on laptops).

Solution