Can't decide between 1067 or 1333

Workodactyl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hey everyone.

I know from the title, this may seem like a crazy question, however I can explain.

I was attempting to build a computer, and as it turns out I won't have much time for this current build and currently looking for at a couple of namebrand providers...

Well this one build is an i7 920 2.66 ghz and 8mb of DDR3 at 1067, the other build is an i7 860 2.8 ghz with 6mb of DDR3 at 1333. The rest of the specs are pretty much the same apart from the processor and ram.

Graphics card is a ATI Radean 4850. One I hope to replace with a 5870 at a later time.

Both builds are about 50-100$ apart and Im just curious, is the 1333 significantly better than the 1067. or can the 1067 be replaced by a 1333 or 1600 later on?

Appreciate the help!

-Work.

Any questions to help clarify this, please let me know, I know I'm a little rusty on the lingo.

Thanks again.

Solution
I think there is a mistake on the ram your unnamed providers are suggesting.

A i7-920 implies a X58 motherboard which will usually have 6 triple channel ram slots. 8mb(I presume 8gb) is a strange size offering since it will leave you in two channel mode. 6gb or 12gb would be the normal offering.

The i7-860 implies a P55 motherboard which will be oriented to some multiple of two channels, 4gb or 8gb would be the normal offering.

You also need to be careful about the psu that is included in a pre-built. It usually is sufficient to power only what is ordered, and will not handle any upgrades. The psu may also be of minimal quality.

A pre-built vendor makes money on all the trialware and bloatware they can install. It will take...
The speed of the ram will make little difference in FPS or real application performance(vs. synthetic benchmark) of either nehalem based cpu. Perhaps 1-3%. The memory controllers are that good.

But, usually the i7-920 motherboard will have more and better pci-e x16 slots, and 6gb of ram.
If you are multitasking or anticipate multiple VGA cards, then i7-920 is better.

If 4gb and 1 vga card, and gaming is primary, then the i7-860 is probably better.

Workodactyl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for the reply!

I should clarify that the computer will most likely be used for multitasking/photo editing.

However, I am partial to returned to WoW and being prepared for Starcraft II and Diablo 3. Those are the only games I may play, but predominately, just for multitasking and editing.

From this perspective I guess I would be inclined to go i7 920, and the 1066 ram and maybe later on upgrade the 4850 with a 5870 or higher and perhaps a 1333 ram.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The CPU choice will have broader implications than the RAM frequency. If you want to know how different RAM performs on the i7 920 (hint: each step up brings very little performance increase) read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2325.html

If you want to understand the differences between the CPUs you are selecting, read this for details on the i7 860: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3641&p=1
And read this more insight into the platform differences between the 1366 socket (e.g. i7 920) and the 1156 socket (e.g. i7 860): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410.html

Workodactyl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Those are great reads! Now I'm a little torn about what to do with my future haha. But it looks like I'm staying with the 2.66. And later on buy some 1333 Ram. And perhaps have a future for DX11 with a 58** series from ATI. Sound like a good plan?

I think there is a mistake on the ram your unnamed providers are suggesting.

A i7-920 implies a X58 motherboard which will usually have 6 triple channel ram slots. 8mb(I presume 8gb) is a strange size offering since it will leave you in two channel mode. 6gb or 12gb would be the normal offering.

The i7-860 implies a P55 motherboard which will be oriented to some multiple of two channels, 4gb or 8gb would be the normal offering.

You also need to be careful about the psu that is included in a pre-built. It usually is sufficient to power only what is ordered, and will not handle any upgrades. The psu may also be of minimal quality.

A pre-built vendor makes money on all the trialware and bloatware they can install. It will take you more time to remove it all(if you can) than a building it yourself.

If you are doing lots of multitasking, then go the X58 and 6gb route.

Upgrading the graphics card later is a good strategy. Just make sure that your initial psu will be capable of running a stronger card. Something from Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C or Antec in the 600w range will be OK.

Solution

Workodactyl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
You're probable right. I have a friend trying to piece together proper equipment.

I just don't know what the right Mobo, or Power Supply to get. Maybe I need to put together a list for everyone here to take a look at.

I know the prebuilts always come with the crapiest ware. Guh, hate trying to beat the clock. haha.

Thanks for all the help. You've opened my eyes considerably.

I'll post in the homebuilts of a new rig hopefully around the same price as the prebuilt.

Thanks again!

notty22

Distinguished
The speeds you listed for each cpu are in fact the maximum official supported speeds for each platform. 1366 officially supports 800/1066 + 1156 supports up to 1066/1333 .
They both can run ram faster but its technically o/c. If you buy a 920 with 1066, it would absolutely never be worth upgrading the ram. The performance increase is something you see only in synthetic benchmarks. yes its different if building from the ground up , original purchase its not a bad thing to spend some extra bucks to get higher speed rated memory but never to buy and replace.