xelocity

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I have been looking around but have been short to find a chiller that can cool the coolant in a liquid cooling system. My goal is to cool the coolant to as cold of a temp as possible for optimal cooling.

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I have an Idea it may sound crazy and it will require some modding. But buy one of those mini refrigerators Drill the holes for the piping in the front door(assuming it doesn't have any refrigerant running through it. Place the radiator inside connect the tubes and glue them into the door. Turn the Fridge on Max cool should cool pretty well I would imagine. If I had the money and space I would try it :).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A fridge or freezer (household) are not going to get what you need in this instance...you will need to modify it to run as a chiller, but not in the sense you think. A normal fridge/freezer compressor cannot keep up with the amount of heat watts being put out by a modern PC...simply placing a radiator inside will just cause the unit to overload and die.

You'd need to do something similar to the links below:

http://www.overclock.net/phase-change/747244-list-phase-builds-guides.html
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?155-Chilled-Liquid-Cooling

Well you can just go overboard a little with a old coil/rad from an a/c unit and clean it out then build a draft cooling setup. Cool air in at the bottom and force the hot air out the top but you will need more than one pump to keep a decent flow rate or it won't work.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm not sure you can effectively build an air-tight system. And furthermore, PC cooling RELIES on air movement to remove heat. Without air to remove heat via convection (regardless of the method of getting to the surface for air to remove it) you simply have a heat source that continually heats. It would be the same as having a system in an oil submersion with zero flow or movement. Pockets of heat build up right at the hot components and continue to do so until over heating.

xelocity

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
About 80% of the heat is taken care of. I am working on a few ways to take care of cooling the sealed air which is the challenge, and also getting the components cooler but keeping all required hardware within the small case.