Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD performance issues

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2011 1:46:39 PM

I bought a Crucial C300 128GB SSD. On the website where I bought it, I see other customers' feedbacks and they are all saying their Windows Experience Index for the drive is 7.9, while I'm only getting 7.5 (which is the lowest of all my other devices).

I ran benchmarks on Sandra, and I got read speeds somewhere between 305 MB/s to 320 MB/s, when it says 355 MB/s on the spec sheet (on SATA 6GB/s of course). For some reason I can't do a write benchmark because it says I have to format all the partitions first (wtf?).

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks.

More about : ssd performance issues

Best solution

a c 261 G Storage
April 28, 2011 1:51:59 PM

Did you optimze Windows for use with a SSD? Here's a link to info that might help:

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...
April 28, 2011 3:39:28 PM

I went to that site and I realized that my system is running in IDE mode. I tried enabling AHCI mode but when Win7 started loading up, gave me a blue screen for about half a second and rebooted. I had to put back to IDE mode.

On the posted guide, the first step has to do with registry settings and it says: "WARNING: Double check that you have AHCI in your mobo BIOS before changing."
I didn't quite understand if by saying "check that you have AHCI in your mobo" it meant just to check if it shows up in the list, or if it's enabled.

Anyway, I didn't want to change those settings and lock myself out of the system because I saw that in AHCI mode Windows couldn't load up. I also have another WD 1TB drive in the system, don't know if it has anything to do with it.

What do I do?

Thanks.
Related resources
May 5, 2011 1:19:09 PM

Yep, did the registry tweak, switched to AHCI mode, and optimized Win7 as much as possible for the SSD. Experienced a slight performance increase, but still showing a 7.5 WEI :-\
a c 143 G Storage
May 5, 2011 11:29:50 PM

m3kyd said:
Yep, did the registry tweak, switched to AHCI mode, and optimized Win7 as much as possible for the SSD. Experienced a slight performance increase, but still showing a 7.5 WEI :-\

My recommendation is don't put any faith or worry over your WEI score! It is not a true measure of your systems performance!! Only way I would even think about being worried is if you got a 3.0 WEI score or something.
May 8, 2011 11:30:11 AM

Best answer selected by m3kyd.
!