Sign in with
Your question

Was getting memory errors, now gone?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
January 19, 2010 2:29:39 AM

Built the computer a week ago, was rock solid for 1 straight week. Ran all tests fine.

I was getting memory errors earlier in the day, very consistently. Memtest, the windows app, would give an error instantly during pretest when testing above 2000mb. Prime95 would give rounding errors on 2-3 workers instantly. Oddly, testing outside of Windows produced no errors, both Memtest86+ boot CD and the built in Windows 7 memory checker. Multiple soft restarts and the same behavior was seen.

After powering down the system completely and restarting about 10 minutes later, errors are gone no matter how hard I push the tests. Been solid for hours no matter what I throw at it.

Basically, it's doing the complete opposite of what it was doing earlier today, where it would crash on anything when above 2gb, instantly.

I assumed it was a bad stick of memory, but now I have no idea what to believe. Was it just an isolated bad boot I had this morning?

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz (Stock speed)
CORSAIR DDR3 1600 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (Running at 1333, SPD settings.)
BFG 8800 GTS OC (Stock Factory OC speed)
Antec 902 Case.

More about : memory errors

January 19, 2010 1:52:03 PM

Day 2. Wake up, boot computer. Instant memory errors when checked. Shut down, cold restart, no errors at all for the past hour.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 19, 2010 2:54:14 PM

I have seen other reports of similar problems when people turn their PCs off at night and then first boot up the next day. This is sometimes referred to as a cold boot. When you have already booted the computer, then shut it down and restart it, that's typically not called a 'cold restart'.

What do you have the V on your RAM set to? Try testing it at 1.6V.
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2010 7:55:11 PM

Okay. Changing terminology.

When I cold boot it, it doesn't work. It just doesn't work at all. Anything testing over 2gb, or any prime95 test, errors out before it even starts.

I have to warm restart it, then it works fine. I've since switched to the 1.65v XMP profile, as directed by Corsair tech support, but the machine hasn't gotten cold enough to do a real test. It is extremely stable at this voltage when warm right now though. Will check tomorrow.
m
l
January 19, 2010 10:11:11 PM

Yes. It was actually my first or second cold boot after updating the BIOS that I noticed this happening.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 19, 2010 10:24:07 PM

Interesting. After you updated BIOS, did you choose Load Optimized Defaults?
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:49:38 PM

Radborne, any progress with your cold boot problem?
m
l
February 11, 2010 11:12:29 PM

Newegg let me exchange the kit for a new CAS 8 version. Just got it in today. Will see if the new kit helps.
m
l
!