ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Hello, I have a dell 1720 that got destroyed, it still works just needs about 250 in ebay parts to bring back to a portable state. it has a 2.0Ghz core2 with a 8600GT in it. I was toying with the idea of buying another MB (if i can find one) that will fit this case or close to it (i have dremmels) to upgrade my video card and add an HDMI out to it. has anyone here every done such a thing with a laptop? or maybe know a site that has detailed lists of laptop parts and dimensions?

tamastr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
hey,
If your toying with replacing a MB in a laptop your asking for trouble because everything is soldered onto it. Its not going to be worth your while especially for 250. Sell or keep it for spare parts and buy another. The cost difference is about £50 for a new one and repairing it. It makes little sense to therefore fix it.

:)

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

well it got thrown out a window so that 250 includes some cosmetic things as well as a dvd drive, screen, and plate covers. but ive been thinking of making a custom case for the laptop by modifying a prebuilt case. idk where im really going with this yet but its somting that ive alwas wanted to do (build my own laptop). was just looking around to see if anyone had ever done it and what not.