Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 x GTX 275 or GTX 295

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 15, 2009 9:27:25 AM

Hey i'm about to get 2 GTX 275's, but im thinking of getting just one 295 instead, and buying a second later when the price goes down
whats reccomended?
Thanks in Advance :) 

More about : gtx 275 gtx 295

August 15, 2009 9:40:36 AM

I've got a 295 and it was dead easy to install. Just make sure you have a power Supply with and 8 pin and a 6 pin.

Very few problems in games. Folds really well too!!
Related resources
August 15, 2009 10:02:38 AM

I say stick with the 295 and quad sli later on
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2009 10:03:37 AM

It depends.

If you get the 2X GTX 275:
You will get performance comparable to that of 295 for much less money.You can upgrade later whenever new cards come out(I mean in 2011-12)

If you get GTX 295
There would be an option to SLI it in future but it will be an old tech card that time.


In my opinion get the single GTX 275 and first use it.If you think you need more performance then get another 275.
You will save a lot.
August 15, 2009 10:05:15 AM

would having 6 x 6+2 pins be enough for 2 295's
August 15, 2009 10:07:23 AM

and also would a Corsair HX850 be good enough to run them?
August 15, 2009 10:11:16 AM

Yes, the Corsair HX850 can easily power even a GTX 285 SLI + i7 system with minimal ease. Some sites have shown total PC consumption with i7 920 and GTX 295 to consume less than 400watts when running 3DMARK06. If you overclock components they will consume more, however you will still have plenty. I just got a Corsair 750W PSU and that should last quite awhile with my current setup.
August 15, 2009 10:29:14 AM

would the 6 x 6+2 pins be enough to power the 2 295's?
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2009 1:20:32 PM

Yes, 1 GTX 295 requires 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin. so 2 would require 4 total. That includes the newer single PCB version.
August 15, 2009 6:12:40 PM

ResidentNumb3rs said:
would the 6 x 6+2 pins be enough to power the 2 295's?


I wouldn't push it with two GTX 295s. You may be able to power 3 GTX 275s, but definitely consider a higher wattage PSU for four GPUs. Corsair makes a great 1KW PSU. I think it's the HX1000W.

But before we get too carried away, lets consider the rest of your system. Without know your system specs and monitor/resolution you game at. Upgrading could be pointless and the gains very marginal if your system won't allow you to utilize the extra GPU power. Even with an overclocked i7 to 3.7GHz, you will have a CPU limitation with 2 GTX 295s, even at 1920x1200.
August 15, 2009 8:41:38 PM

ResidentNumb3rs said:
and also would a Corsair HX850 be good enough to run them?




That power supply is a beast. It will run them without breaking a sweat. i think it would even go a tri Sli gtx 285. ;) 
good luck. i made a pc for a customer, an i7 build which used the excat same powersupply with 2x bfg gtx 295. His pc is overclocked to 4ghz and has never reported any problem to me.
August 15, 2009 8:46:56 PM

hi i have an issue with my xfx gts 250 it keeps shutting down on me after going into games yesterday i put it in another computer but it wasnt working at all i left it out for a day and it lets be go on windows but when i try to play my games it gives black dots, lags, and then the game crashes.. any fix for this? ps the other computer had an ati board
August 15, 2009 8:48:58 PM

umm i think either your mother board is messed or your graphics card nvm... if it was your mother board you wouldn't get any display.. reinstall your drivers and if that doesn't work you lost your gpu and u can't just buy one and put it one its like buying another graphics card...and um incase u overclocked u probably blew i up.. -.-
August 15, 2009 8:49:51 PM

i didn't over clock and i just reisntalled and restarted my computer.. it still isn't working anything else i could do?
August 15, 2009 9:05:31 PM

dont buy a gts 250 its a crap card that does high end heat.. go with a gtx 275 or 280 from bfg or evga
August 15, 2009 11:53:58 PM

one-shot said:
I wouldn't push it with two GTX 295s. You may be able to power 3 GTX 275s, but definitely consider a higher wattage PSU for four GPUs. Corsair makes a great 1KW PSU. I think it's the HX1000W.

But before we get too carried away, lets consider the rest of your system. Without know your system specs and monitor/resolution you game at. Upgrading could be pointless and the gains very marginal if your system won't allow you to utilize the extra GPU power. Even with an overclocked i7 to 3.7GHz, you will have a CPU limitation with 2 GTX 295s, even at 1920x1200.


these will be my specs
ASUS P6T

2 X GAINWARD GTX 275(obviously these depend on this conversation

COOLMASTER RC690

SEAGATE SATA 1TB

SATA SAMSUNG

CORSAIR 850W HX-850

6G KIT (3X3G) DDR3 1600 G.SKILL-NQ

ASUS VW246H BLACK 24" 2MS 1920x1080

PROLIMATECH MEGAHALEMS CPU COOLER

INTEL i7-920
August 16, 2009 10:00:35 AM

ResidentNumb3rs said:
these will be my specs
ASUS P6T

2 X GAINWARD GTX 275(obviously these depend on this conversation

COOLMASTER RC690

SEAGATE SATA 1TB

SATA SAMSUNG

CORSAIR 850W HX-850

6G KIT (3X3G) DDR3 1600 G.SKILL-NQ

ASUS VW246H BLACK 24" 2MS 1920x1080

PROLIMATECH MEGAHALEMS CPU COOLER

INTEL i7-920


I purchased the P6T, and if I could do it again, I'd get the P6T Deluxe V2 due to the extra spacing for SLI setups. The PCI-E slots are a little too close on this board. My GPUs get very hot under load if fan speed isn't >60%.

You could even use the same PSU I have for the setup and still have room to expand in the future. 750W is a lot of power, even 75% of 750W is a lot under full load. I've seen an i7 and GTX295 draw around 400W during 3DMARK06 on Bit tech's website.

Everything else looks great, although I would recommend better case fans to move the heat from your system faster. I have a Sythe Ultra Kaze 3K RPM 120mm fan for exhaust. The fan is rated for 133CFM and I have it at 2K RPM. It moves lots of air, but still feels like not enough.

I originally looked at the Asus monitor you're considering and get the Acer instead, as it had better reviews/image Q. Looks like a great system, good luck!
August 16, 2009 9:03:58 PM

1 GTX295 is a waste... imagine two of them... an incredible waste?
August 16, 2009 11:20:42 PM

oh, ok
thanks for all the help guy:) 
but what did you mean by Get the acer instead?
August 17, 2009 4:42:39 AM

ResidentNumb3rs said:
oh, ok
thanks for all the help guy:) 
but what did you mean by Get the acer instead?


The Acer P243 is the one I got. I forgot to specify which one. It's better than my old Samsung which cost more. Actually it's much better.
!