Sign in with
Your question

How does my OC look? (Pictures)

Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2011 3:40:14 AM

Well first off this is my first venture into OC'ing and need some feedback. The components that affect my OC is an i5-2500K, Corsair AX1200, 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 RAM 8-8-8-24, ASRock Extreme7 Gen3 anda Noctua NH-D14 cooler.

Now my first run topped out at 4.4ghz last night and I could not boot into Windows without BSOD and had it running well.

Tonight raised the vcore and I was able to clock it up to 4.7ghz and run stable with only light stress testing to look at temperatures and voltage.

My vcore never went over 1.39. Is this a safe range to keep it in, or am I taking a risk with it at 1.40 vcore? My CPU when idle goes to a multiplier of 16 and sits at 1.6ghz, steps up to 2.5ghz for less intensive tasks then when it starts getting used for more intensive things it goes to the set 47 multiplier making it operate at 4.7ghz. The results of a little over an hour of Prime 95 blend testing:

I do plan on doing a longer blend testing during the week, but this is all I had time for tonight.

And here are my BIOS settings...

Is there anything that is disabled that should be enabled, or anything that is enabled that should be disabled? How do my values look? Is there anything out of line or anything that is running a risk of damaging my CPU or anything?

Thanks for your help in advance. All feedback is appreciated.

More about : pictures

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2011 5:33:09 AM

95 Watts and 72C is max for a 2600k. You're doing this on air? Good luck.
m
l
August 30, 2011 6:00:21 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
95 Watts and 72C is max for a 2600k. You're doing this on air? Good luck.

I was under the impression that the max temp was 98*s for the 2500K? Yes the numbers are all on air cooling. I don't plan on clocking any hire but I was looking for input on leaving it where it is now for a normal operation clock or if I should scale it back some.

I did take your advice, although it wasn't presented as such haha. I turned it down to 4.6ghz and turned the vcore down to 1.36. I am running Prime 95 stress testing now and it is running well. It currently is at an idle temp 34*-36* and a max temp of 64*s. It has been holding steady at 89.87w for the Powers Package under the 2500K in CPUID Hardware Monitor. Is this a safe spot to operate at? I am thinking 5w of space should be safe here instead of the 3.1w of space I was running at before. Is my assumption correct?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2011 5:01:44 PM

Unless you plan on running maxed out 24/7, your current settings are fine (as long as they don't cause crashes). I've been running higher than that all year without any problems. Vcore < 1.4 is a good thing. Tcore < 75C is a good thing. Your setup will last forever at those settings!
m
l
August 30, 2011 6:48:48 PM

homegun said:
Unless you plan on running maxed out 24/7, your current settings are fine (as long as they don't cause crashes). I've been running higher than that all year without any problems. Vcore < 1.4 is a good thing. Tcore < 75C is a good thing. Your setup will last forever at those settings!

I am running a long blend session now but so far no signs in instability.

What is the wattage going to your CPU at your settings? Its not a 24/7 clock as it sits idle at 1.6ghz, light work scales up to 2.5ghz and heavy load it goes to 4.6ghz. This is staying in the 89w range, and at 4.7ghz it goes closer to 91.88w which I started thinking might be a little to close for comfort.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2011 7:22:32 PM

When set at 4.9GHz, my Vcore is 1.45. With voltage spikes, that keeps it at a maximum of 1.5. It's perfectly stable, but if I try to bump it to 5.0GHz, it crashes almost immediately.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2011 4:55:25 AM

I would love to know your settings, Homegun.
m
l
!