Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Calling all engineers

Last response: in Components
Share
October 24, 2009 9:50:39 AM

Hello all,
My name is aryn, I am an engineering and information technologies student.
My goal is to improve and progress technologies. Over the months I have been mulling over idea's and perfecting a plan. I do not have a project name or a team yet, which will now become the purpose of this post.

Concerning all think tanks, Software coders and Hardware engineers.
I am currently assembling a team of people in order to work on a new type of PC.
We have windows based PC's and Macintosh PC's (do not argue with me they are personal and professional computers the lot making them all PC's) I am hoping to not only build a custom Linux based operating system but also an entire new hardware profile as well. These PC's will fallow the lines of Macintosh in a proprietary hardware aspect at the same time as fallowing in suit to windows and Linux based PC's modularity and open software.

Almost all aspects of this project will be classified but certain aspects can be discussed with interested party's. The design process's infancy is complete and the idea has finished forming. Now it is time to make it a reality.

I am looking for Hardware engineers up for the nerve racking task of designing an entire new computer system from scratch. This process will be heavily involved in the beginning stages of design and still moderately involved as the system progresses. The time frame in which this project should take to enter final alpha to beginning beta stages should be approximately 1 year. Should you feel up to the task please contact me at Asparks3410@myhc.us

Software engineers up for the task of designing a system from the core including Bios/Cmos instructions and drivers. The operating system should start with one point Linux seems to tend to look over, proper bios calls for hardware control and operations. Then command call, and last a GUI. This stage of the project will be somewhat involved in the beginning and more heavenly involved towards the middle all the way through the end. Estimated time for completion of final stages of alpha to beginning beta stages is 1 year. Should you feel up to the task please contact me at Asparks3410@myhc.us

Do not take this lightly, this is a project meant to form into a commercialized product. The final project will be copyrighted and not open source. I am a firm supporter of the open source community but some things must be held for commercial and safety reason for both he users and the system.

I understand how vague this is, but unfortunately I cannot just advertise the secrets behind this project or it would be pointless to even try. This in a way a business venture, you will be donating your time and knowledge based on the accreditation and royalties to be received upon project completion.

More about : calling engineers

October 24, 2009 12:14:56 PM

im the wrong kinda engineer, im a mechanical engineering student
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 8:28:33 PM

I'm sorry then, but I'm glad to up your post count sir.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 24, 2009 8:40:09 PM

Pinky: What are we going to do today?
Brain: The same thing we do everyday, try and take over the world!
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 9:14:36 PM

And the next step is to wire $1500 in "good faith" money to an account in Nigera?
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 9:33:51 PM

I think the project is way too ambitious...
Will you design a new CPU architecture? New connector standards? Whole new PC structure...?
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 9:39:13 PM

Are you trying to do everything from scratch, including things like CPU and graphics? If so, you honestly don't have any chance whatsoever of pulling this off.
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 9:52:09 PM

"I want to change the world, follow me"
Thats basically what you are saying. You cant tell us in what way but you want people to believe in you.

New hardware profile? You are basically looking to change the way computers personal computers work and their stracture?

Sorry but what you are thinking sound too "childishly" ambitious for 2 reasons:
1. You are not even telling us how this is going to happen but you are looking for "Faithful follower" to invest their time on something you are not going to tell them about.
2. It as taken years for the Personal computer to reach this "profile" and set of hardwre and features, which in a market based economy is what is mostly demanded. The fact that you are an enthusiast and power user doesnt mean everyone is and i dont see how anyone will benfit from what you are up to (partly becuase you are giving us no clue)
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 10:16:31 PM

So I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you actually are on to something and there has been precedent for students to come up with the next big thing. But you're going about this the wrong way- if you really have something, run it by your university's adviser or maybe a lawyer, formulate a business plan and go out and try to get some funding. Build a prototype. Go for some VC money. Posting to forums is not going to get you what you need to get off the ground.
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 11:09:07 PM

bliq said:
So I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you actually are on to something and there has been precedent for students to come up with the next big thing. But you're going about this the wrong way- if you really have something, run it by your university's adviser or maybe a lawyer, formulate a business plan and go out and try to get some funding. Build a prototype. Go for some VC money. Posting to forums is not going to get you what you need to get off the ground.



I'm looking for open minded individuals to help me in area's where i myself do not feel secure. The professors at my university agree with me that the project i have in mind will not be plausible to begin things from any type of legal standpoint without first banging out an official design to patent and i have already tried to find funding for my project. That sir is something that would have to be a miracle to come by.

i am more than open to any suggestion though, if you know of the step i should take with this and possibly ways to get funding i have an open ear and wide eye's! :D 
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 11:13:39 PM

So are you trying to completely start from scratch? Including designing a non-x86 CPU?

Success in that just seems incredibly unlikely to me, considering the number of highly experienced engineers who are working on CPUs (both x86 and non-x86).
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 1:58:30 AM

If you're at a university, go to your engineering department. If it's anything like where I'm a student, students have many projects to do, and might consider helping you out if they can present it to their professors.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 7:28:09 AM

Dekasav said:
If you're at a university, go to your engineering department. If it's anything like where I'm a student, students have many projects to do, and might consider helping you out if they can present it to their professors.


Sadly my university focuses on business and medical technology and does not really have an engineering dept. I will be finishing my degree here and moving to another school for engineering. This is not a project for school though this is the beginning of a business venture. Untill there is capital to be distributed i am looking for volunteers to be in my employ.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 7:28:55 AM

cruiseoveride said:
Pinky: What are we going to do today?
Brain: The same thing we do everyday, try and take over the world!


Nice
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 7:34:02 AM

jitpublisher said:
And the next step is to wire $1500 in "good faith" money to an account in Nigera?


No sir, no money involved only time. There is a possibility of monitory involvement in the distant future but it will only be royalties being payed to those involved.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 7:53:16 AM

sanchz said:
I think the project is way too ambitious...
Will you design a new CPU architecture? New connector standards? Whole new PC structure...?



No we will be first experimenting with Intel/Nvidia chip sets (already in the works for R&D licencing) In the final phases of the project we will be attempting to licence a new architecture of CPU while still using nvidia or possibly via chip sets.

Ambition is not a bad thing sir, I only seek to do things better with this system i don't plan on inventing a whole new technology.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 8:03:01 AM

Is this a joke? If it is, I'm totally not getting it yet. (EET Major)
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 8:12:20 AM

cjl said:
Are you trying to do everything from scratch, including things like CPU and graphics? If so, you honestly don't have any chance whatsoever of pulling this off.



No sir, many things may be "re invented" but very few things are going to be created from scratch, most of the hardware requirements for this system already exist, most of the innovation will be in system design and the operating system.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 8:19:36 AM

slo said:
"I want to change the world, follow me"
Thats basically what you are saying. You cant tell us in what way but you want people to believe in you.

New hardware profile? You are basically looking to change the way computers personal computers work and their stracture?

Sorry but what you are thinking sound too "childishly" ambitious for 2 reasons:
1. You are not even telling us how this is going to happen but you are looking for "Faithful follower" to invest their time on something you are not going to tell them about.
2. It as taken years for the Personal computer to reach this "profile" and set of hardwre and features, which in a market based economy is what is mostly demanded. The fact that you are an enthusiast and power user doesnt mean everyone is and i dont see how anyone will benfit from what you are up to (partly becuase you are giving us no clue)


It is stated in the original post that more information will be discussed with those interested in participating.
Also my post is serious in nature and without need of degradation, the only thing childish i see here is your need to post something negative rather than constructive which i see as nothing but a way to further your own self satisfaction. I will not promote any types of flame war so if you read this please respond kindly maturely and with positive feedback or kindly do not return to this post.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 8:28:17 AM

cjl said:
So are you trying to completely start from scratch? Including designing a non-x86 CPU?

Success in that just seems incredibly unlikely to me, considering the number of highly experienced engineers who are working on CPUs (both x86 and non-x86).



No we will not using x86 but we will also not be designing a CPU from scratch we will be redesigning a chip based on intel's X58 arch for our purposes.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 8:44:19 AM

The x58 is a chipset, and CPUs designed to run with it are all x86 compatible.

What you said does show your ignorance of the amount of work this would actually require though.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 8:57:01 AM

one-shot said:
Is this a joke? If it is, I'm totally not getting it yet. (EET Major)


It it not a joke, it is a concept open for discussion with those willing to be involved. William gates once said almost the exact same thing to Larry page about cloud computing and portable operating systems. Which is sad considering the once CEO of IBM said the same thing about computers in people's home's
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 9:23:26 AM

cjl said:
The x58 is a chipset, and CPUs designed to run with it are all x86 compatible.

What you said does show your ignorance of the amount of work this would actually require though.


Please do not call me ignorent without first understanding my statement. I do know that x58 is a chip set and what is meant by not using x86 while still using x58 is referencing Nvidia's designs for a new non x86 CPU. There processor will be available for custom purpose building and would save time and money to use one of them. Also they have licensed with Intel already and will be x58 compatible. These processor designs by Nvidia are up for speculation as well, still leaving the possibility of working with an x86 based Intel CPU. The amount of work is both extensive and trivial at the same time as we will be designing based on "mostly" already established technology in order to redesign how the system is used. If you are interested in further detail on the system i am more than willing to discuss "some" of the information privately pending a discussion of what you could offer to the project. A lot of the information will be on a need to know bases unfortunately until the proper contracts have been drawn up and signed. No one will be contracted to be permanently a part of this project but everyone who is to be involved and participate will need to be contracted for secrecy. The main reason to keep things so hush hush is actually because of how ridiculously simple these designs are. Any body could really just take them and ghetto rig a system in this way. 80% of the work to be done on this system is software based and is also where the complication lie's. The hardware part of this will be mostly cutting the fat out of pre-designed tech and building a system with a minimalist design while still being able to have massive power.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 11:56:46 AM

predator363 said:
No sir, no money involved only time. There is a possibility of monitory involvement in the distant future but it will only be royalties being payed to those involved.



:lol: 
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 12:06:54 PM

jitpublisher said:
:lol: 

Glad i could make you laugh, please don't come back.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 3:23:03 AM

i think you'd have avoided some of the skeptic reactions if you'd initially mentioned using nvidia's cpu, and those other "real" aspects.
i don't have background to genuinely comment. i've read of some "obscure" yet apparently viable OSes meant to run on RISC which is "unknown" to ~all pc users.

osnews and wikipedia have info on haiku, reactos, syllable, and more.


hopefully you can avoid apple's hardware production expenses. maybe you're following os x strategy of using darwin (bsd family.. and licensing?) ??
is there space in the market for another premium priced line of computers?


predator363 said:
Please do not call me ignor{a}nt without first understanding my statement. I do know that x58 is a chip set and what is meant by not using x86 while still using x58 is referencing Nvidia's designs for a new non x86 CPU. There processor will be available for custom purpose building and would save time and money to use one of them. Also they have licensed with Intel already and will be x58 compatible. These processor designs by Nvidia are up for speculation as well, still leaving the possibility of working with an x86 based Intel CPU. The amount of work is both extensive and trivial at the same time as we will be designing based on "mostly" already established technology in order to redesign how the system is used. If you are interested in further detail on the system i am more than willing to discuss "some" of the information privately pending a discussion of what you could offer to the project. A lot of the information will be on a need to know bases {basis, singular} unfortunately until the proper contracts have been drawn up and signed. No one will be contracted to be permanently a part of this project but everyone who is to be involved and participate will need to be contracted for secrecy. The main reason to keep things so hush hush is actually because of how ridiculously simple these designs are. Any body could really just take them and ghetto rig a system in this way. 80% of the work to be done on this system is software based and is also where the complication lie's. The hardware part of this will be mostly cutting the fat out of pre-designed tech and building a system with a minimalist design while still being able to have massive power.

m
0
l
October 26, 2009 3:59:16 AM

BufferUpchuck said:
i think you'd have avoided some of the skeptic reactions if you'd initially mentioned using nvidia's cpu, and those other "real" aspects.
i don't have background to genuinely comment. i've read of some "obscure" yet apparently viable OSes meant to run on RISC which is "unknown" to ~all pc users.

osnews and wikipedia have info on haiku, reactos, syllable, and more.


hopefully you can avoid apple's hardware production expenses. maybe you're following os x strategy of using darwin (bsd family.. and licensing?) ??
is there space in the market for another premium priced line of computers?



Why would you assume it would be premium priced? This system will be as easy to build your self as any windows PC. The operating system will run on a custom Linux kernel which will have been designed to not ignore bios calls as Linux has a habit of doing. Nvidia has been delaying information on there new processor for a year now. So i have already began production of an albeit extremely sad fabrication of the new system and have done so using a current Ubuntu distribution. The reason for failing to mention as such is because i did not want to get in to a discussion that would end up with my designs plastered all over a public forum for the world to see. I'm not trying to keep people in the dark as to what they would be getting involved in i am simply trying not to publish an idea that currently holds no copyright or patent.

And mocking my spelling sir, does not prove to me any type of superiority nor does accusing any information i present as being false.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 4:58:26 AM

I've been lurking in this thread and been a little skeptical too.

To predator363: be sure you spend at least as much time and money on market research as you do on engineering. The biggest reason startups fail is because they know engineering a lot better than they know their market. The fact that you're asking for engineers here rather than for opinions on the viability of a product makes me fear that you may fall into that trap.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 5:50:30 AM

sminlal said:
I've been lurking in this thread and been a little skeptical too.

To predator363: be sure you spend at least as much time and money on market research as you do on engineering. The biggest reason startups fail is because they know engineering a lot better than they know their market. The fact that you're asking for engineers here rather than for opinions on the viability of a product makes me fear that you may fall into that trap.


Sound advice, I wonder though. How would you recommend i research market demographic for a product that is un protected? As i understand if someone was to get a hold of my ideas in there current state they could run with them as if they were there own. This is really all im trying to prevent, otherwise i would have my entire design up and open for discussion here. The reality of the situation is that i am not sufficient in programming and need help with the operating system. When it comes to the hardware im looking for people the help me perfect it as i have already basically finished a prototype. Where as (stated previously) my university does not have it own engineering dept. i am sure it would be the perfect place for demographic data if i was able to get a well enough prototype of the system for them to try.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 4:05:43 PM

predator363 said:
I wonder though. How would you recommend i research market demographic for a product that is un protected?
I'm no marketing guru, and without knowing anything about your product it's difficult to be specific. However I think the gist of it is that rather than revealing to potential customers how your product works (ie, it's design), you need to tell them what it can do for them (ie, it's benefits) and at what cost (pricing). It depends a bit on what you think the target market is, but usually customers are a lot less interested in HOW something works than the engineers are (unless your customers are engineers! :D  )

And while using university students would be handy, it probably wouldn't be the best demographic unless you think your product is one which is actually aimed at them.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 5:17:22 PM

You should go at getting it copyrighted/patented. That's always an excellent first step. If nothing else, Write everything down, date it, and mail it to yourself, but don't open it. Then you have proof you had it (hopefully first).
m
0
l

Best solution

October 26, 2009 6:19:59 PM

Predator363, i just read over the entire thread, and while your project may seem ambitious, I see no harm in it at all. Most revolutionary ideas are always met with this kind of skepticism because all of them share the ambitiousness you possess. I'm not saying every overly-ambitious idea succeeds, but who am I to judge, at this stage, that your project won't be the next big thing.

I do commend you for having maintained your calm and composure despite the flood of negativity and skepticism this thread has received. If nothing else, it has earned you my respect.

Being an engineering student myself (Computer Science) your project does sound very interesting to me but currently I would be unable to make any useful contributions just yet. I will, however, urge you to write down all of your ideas, tentative plans, basic designs etc on a notebook, and date, time and sign every page along with a professor's signature every few pages. You should get some Professor to be your Project Adviser, even if its just for the sake of having an adviser on paper. The patent laws in the US do not grant patents on the basis of 'first to file the patent' but instead on 'first to come up with the idea' (something I learned in Freshman year of college.

I wish you good luck.
Share
October 26, 2009 6:54:51 PM

sminlal said:
I'm no marketing guru, and without knowing anything about your product it's difficult to be specific. However I think the gist of it is that rather than revealing to potential customers how your product works (ie, it's design), you need to tell them what it can do for them (ie, it's benefits) and at what cost (pricing). It depends a bit on what you think the target market is, but usually customers are a lot less interested in HOW something works than the engineers are (unless your customers are engineers! :D  )

And while using university students would be handy, it probably wouldn't be the best demographic unless you think your product is one which is actually aimed at them.


It is going to be geared towards everyone in general really, Its a system everyone can benefit from and it saves time and money in the long run. I think i will start with college students then move on to the elderly then i will move to a broad demographic. I think perhaps this path will help me decide it suitability. Good point on most people not really wanting to know HOW things work.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 6:57:14 PM

Dekasav said:
You should go at getting it copyrighted/patented. That's always an excellent first step. If nothing else, Write everything down, date it, and mail it to yourself, but don't open it. Then you have proof you had it (hopefully first).



The poor mans copyright (mailing yourself your own copyright) was dubbed by the supreme court as a non valid form of copyright evidence. and copyrighting things take money, since thee designs will be changing a lot over the next few months then copyrighting them now would just cost more money in the long run.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 7:14:38 PM

xbonez said:
Predator363, i just read over the entire thread, and while your project may seem ambitious, I see no harm in it at all. Most revolutionary ideas are always met with this kind of skepticism because all of them share the ambitiousness you possess. I'm not saying every overly-ambitious idea succeeds, but who am I to judge, at this stage, that your project won't be the next big thing.

I do commend you for having maintained your calm and composure despite the flood of negativity and skepticism this thread has received. If nothing else, it has earned you my respect.

Being an engineering student myself (Computer Science) your project does sound very interesting to me but currently I would be unable to make any useful contributions just yet. I will, however, urge you to write down all of your ideas, tentative plans, basic designs etc on a notebook, and date, time and sign every page along with a professor's signature every few pages. You should get some Professor to be your Project Adviser, even if its just for the sake of having an adviser on paper. The patent laws in the US do not grant patents on the basis of 'first to file the patent' but instead on 'first to come up with the idea' (something I learned in Freshman year of college.

I wish you good luck.


Thank you very much. Your post was like a breath of fresh air lol. Good points have been made in the thread though. I am thinking about opening threads helping me on individual aspects of my project on a more personal basis, in order for me to progress until i reach a point where i feel safe enough to share information with everyone. The hardware prototype im building in to a shuttle case will have to do for now. I am hoping in the future to shrink this thing down "even further" than the micro ITX architecture its on at the moment. Half the size of this damn case is for the CD-Rom drive which is nothing but wasted space. I am definitely going to speak with my professors on this some more and take in to effect your advice about witness signatures with dates. I am probably very likely to close this thread soon and start a new one on programing advice.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 8:26:25 PM

About the CD rom drive issue, consider slot-loading drives.
m
0
l
October 27, 2009 6:46:13 AM

xbonez said:
About the CD rom drive issue, consider slot-loading drives.



It wont be needed my system phases Compact disk completely out. I meant that its annoying using a Shuttle case when it has room for two hard drives and a cd-rom drive making the case 3 times larger than my system requires. One day soon i will have to build a prototype case for it, I in vision it being a similar shape and size to the xbox360 at about half the thickness and with better thermal design.
m
0
l
October 27, 2009 11:27:27 AM

ah, ok. i get it now. completely phasing out compact disks is going to be a huge battle in itself, though.
m
0
l
October 28, 2009 12:12:21 AM

xbonez said:
ah, ok. i get it now. completely phasing out compact disks is going to be a huge battle in itself, though.

Yea but for people who absolutely refuse to adapt there's always usb cd-rom drives. It should not be hard to adapt though because most people i know agree cd-rom has been 70% phased out already.
m
0
l
Anonymous
November 26, 2009 5:57:42 PM

predator363 said:
The operating system will run on a custom Linux kernel which will have been designed to not ignore bios calls as Linux has a habit of doing.


It should be noted that if you use the Linux kernel, any changes you make to this will need to be released as GPL v2. If you *really* want to keep everything closed, you would be better off looking at one of the BSDs (eg Free/Open/Net) as their licences permit this.

The same applies to anything else using a (L)GPL license - in general you need to supply the source code.

m
0
l
November 27, 2009 12:19:06 AM

Quote:
It should be noted that if you use the Linux kernel, any changes you make to this will need to be released as GPL v2. If you *really* want to keep everything closed, you would be better off looking at one of the BSDs (eg Free/Open/Net) as their licences permit this.

The same applies to anything else using a (L)GPL license - in general you need to supply the source code.


Not true, the GNUGPL allows for anyone to modify and distribute it in any way they please including making their own distribution and selling it for any price they wish. What you cannot do is sell someone elses OS, meaning i could not sell ubuntu but i can make my own distribution and even base it of of ubuntu if i with or Debian and sell it for any price i want freely without having to supply the source code. The nature of Linux is that it is open. Thus i "will" be selling the operating system but i will not need to supply the source code as it is open. I will be releasing this under the GPL but not GNU as i do wish to retain copyrights to this as well as leave it open.
m
0
l
!