Calling all engineers

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hello all,
My name is aryn, I am an engineering and information technologies student.
My goal is to improve and progress technologies. Over the months I have been mulling over idea's and perfecting a plan. I do not have a project name or a team yet, which will now become the purpose of this post.

Concerning all think tanks, Software coders and Hardware engineers.
I am currently assembling a team of people in order to work on a new type of PC.
We have windows based PC's and Macintosh PC's (do not argue with me they are personal and professional computers the lot making them all PC's) I am hoping to not only build a custom Linux based operating system but also an entire new hardware profile as well. These PC's will fallow the lines of Macintosh in a proprietary hardware aspect at the same time as fallowing in suit to windows and Linux based PC's modularity and open software.

Almost all aspects of this project will be classified but certain aspects can be discussed with interested party's. The design process's infancy is complete and the idea has finished forming. Now it is time to make it a reality.

I am looking for Hardware engineers up for the nerve racking task of designing an entire new computer system from scratch. This process will be heavily involved in the beginning stages of design and still moderately involved as the system progresses. The time frame in which this project should take to enter final alpha to beginning beta stages should be approximately 1 year. Should you feel up to the task please contact me at Asparks3410@myhc.us

Software engineers up for the task of designing a system from the core including Bios/Cmos instructions and drivers. The operating system should start with one point Linux seems to tend to look over, proper bios calls for hardware control and operations. Then command call, and last a GUI. This stage of the project will be somewhat involved in the beginning and more heavenly involved towards the middle all the way through the end. Estimated time for completion of final stages of alpha to beginning beta stages is 1 year. Should you feel up to the task please contact me at Asparks3410@myhc.us

Do not take this lightly, this is a project meant to form into a commercialized product. The final project will be copyrighted and not open source. I am a firm supporter of the open source community but some things must be held for commercial and safety reason for both he users and the system.

I understand how vague this is, but unfortunately I cannot just advertise the secrets behind this project or it would be pointless to even try. This in a way a business venture, you will be donating your time and knowledge based on the accreditation and royalties to be received upon project completion.

Solution
Predator363, i just read over the entire thread, and while your project may seem ambitious, I see no harm in it at all. Most revolutionary ideas are always met with this kind of skepticism because all of them share the ambitiousness you possess. I'm not saying every overly-ambitious idea succeeds, but who am I to judge, at this stage, that your project won't be the next big thing.

I do commend you for having maintained your calm and composure despite the flood of negativity and skepticism this thread has received. If nothing else, it has earned you my respect.

Being an engineering student myself (Computer Science) your project does sound very interesting to me but currently I would be unable to make any useful contributions just yet...

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
"I want to change the world, follow me"
Thats basically what you are saying. You cant tell us in what way but you want people to believe in you.

New hardware profile? You are basically looking to change the way computers personal computers work and their stracture?

Sorry but what you are thinking sound too "childishly" ambitious for 2 reasons:
1. You are not even telling us how this is going to happen but you are looking for "Faithful follower" to invest their time on something you are not going to tell them about.
2. It as taken years for the Personal computer to reach this "profile" and set of hardwre and features, which in a market based economy is what is mostly demanded. The fact that you are an enthusiast and power user doesnt mean everyone is and i dont see how anyone will benfit from what you are up to (partly becuase you are giving us no clue)

bliq

Distinguished
So I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you actually are on to something and there has been precedent for students to come up with the next big thing. But you're going about this the wrong way- if you really have something, run it by your university's adviser or maybe a lawyer, formulate a business plan and go out and try to get some funding. Build a prototype. Go for some VC money. Posting to forums is not going to get you what you need to get off the ground.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I'm looking for open minded individuals to help me in area's where i myself do not feel secure. The professors at my university agree with me that the project i have in mind will not be plausible to begin things from any type of legal standpoint without first banging out an official design to patent and i have already tried to find funding for my project. That sir is something that would have to be a miracle to come by.

i am more than open to any suggestion though, if you know of the step i should take with this and possibly ways to get funding i have an open ear and wide eye's! :D

So are you trying to completely start from scratch? Including designing a non-x86 CPU?

Success in that just seems incredibly unlikely to me, considering the number of highly experienced engineers who are working on CPUs (both x86 and non-x86).

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
If you're at a university, go to your engineering department. If it's anything like where I'm a student, students have many projects to do, and might consider helping you out if they can present it to their professors.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Sadly my university focuses on business and medical technology and does not really have an engineering dept. I will be finishing my degree here and moving to another school for engineering. This is not a project for school though this is the beginning of a business venture. Untill there is capital to be distributed i am looking for volunteers to be in my employ.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

No sir, no money involved only time. There is a possibility of monitory involvement in the distant future but it will only be royalties being payed to those involved.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

No we will be first experimenting with Intel/Nvidia chip sets (already in the works for R&D licencing) In the final phases of the project we will be attempting to licence a new architecture of CPU while still using nvidia or possibly via chip sets.

Ambition is not a bad thing sir, I only seek to do things better with this system i don't plan on inventing a whole new technology.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

No sir, many things may be "re invented" but very few things are going to be created from scratch, most of the hardware requirements for this system already exist, most of the innovation will be in system design and the operating system.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

It is stated in the original post that more information will be discussed with those interested in participating.
Also my post is serious in nature and without need of degradation, the only thing childish i see here is your need to post something negative rather than constructive which i see as nothing but a way to further your own self satisfaction. I will not promote any types of flame war so if you read this please respond kindly maturely and with positive feedback or kindly do not return to this post.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

No we will not using x86 but we will also not be designing a CPU from scratch we will be redesigning a chip based on intel's X58 arch for our purposes.

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

It it not a joke, it is a concept open for discussion with those willing to be involved. William gates once said almost the exact same thing to Larry page about cloud computing and portable operating systems. Which is sad considering the once CEO of IBM said the same thing about computers in people's home's

predator363

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Please do not call me ignorent without first understanding my statement. I do know that x58 is a chip set and what is meant by not using x86 while still using x58 is referencing Nvidia's designs for a new non x86 CPU. There processor will be available for custom purpose building and would save time and money to use one of them. Also they have licensed with Intel already and will be x58 compatible. These processor designs by Nvidia are up for speculation as well, still leaving the possibility of working with an x86 based Intel CPU. The amount of work is both extensive and trivial at the same time as we will be designing based on "mostly" already established technology in order to redesign how the system is used. If you are interested in further detail on the system i am more than willing to discuss "some" of the information privately pending a discussion of what you could offer to the project. A lot of the information will be on a need to know bases unfortunately until the proper contracts have been drawn up and signed. No one will be contracted to be permanently a part of this project but everyone who is to be involved and participate will need to be contracted for secrecy. The main reason to keep things so hush hush is actually because of how ridiculously simple these designs are. Any body could really just take them and ghetto rig a system in this way. 80% of the work to be done on this system is software based and is also where the complication lie's. The hardware part of this will be mostly cutting the fat out of pre-designed tech and building a system with a minimalist design while still being able to have massive power.