Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Complicated SSD Setup: Will it work?

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2011 4:54:52 PM

I know I'm going to be adding Solid State storage to my computer some time soon. I've been reading articles about SSD's across the web, especially on Tom's, and I have an idea. Will it work?

-take two 80GB Intel SSDs
-put them in RAID 0

Here's the question: Can I partition what appears as the single 160GB RAID 0 drive into 120GB and 40GB partitions, then set up the 40GB partition as an SSD cache for my 1TB HDD? How awesome would it be if the SSD cache was caching for 2TB in RAID 0+1!?

In addition, I plan on using 4GB of 12GB DDR3 RAM as a RAMdisk on which I can setup my page file and temp files.

Will this be awesome and probably give me more of a performance difference than spending as much or more on graphics, CPU etc?

Setup will have Z68 plus Sandy Bridge, bringing over Crossfire'd Radeon HD 4850 1GB's, and other suitable components.

Related question: Do HDD's in RAID 0 only have to be the same size and speed, or must they be the same brand and model?

Thanks in advance, suggestions welcome!
a b G Storage
April 28, 2011 5:02:36 PM

I would think that setup would work well enough but would be dependant on the Z68's settings and ability to do so. I know Fancycache by Romex already has the capability to do just that and no additional partitions would berequired as it just caches to the SSD array in the amount you choose. Also turns the whole C-drive into a ramdisk setup for improved performance along with reduced writes to the SSD.

And brands are not as important as the speed and size. The weakest/smallest drive will pull you down.
m
l
April 28, 2011 5:10:13 PM

But you can partition a RAID 0 drive?

Also I didn't know you could RAID 0 drives that weren't the same size and speed. Interesting...

Thanks for showing me Fancycache though, that should prove useful
m
l
Related resources
a c 290 G Storage
April 28, 2011 6:30:15 PM

What do you want to do with your computer? Are you going to use it for work? Gaming? A little more information would be helpful.
m
l

Best solution

a c 99 G Storage
April 29, 2011 4:44:31 PM

1 - YES you can partition a RAID 0 array. The OS will see it as one large drive, and you can part it up just like one drive. My set up has 3 partitions on the OS drive: 100MB for System Reserved Files (part of Windows 7), 96GB for OS/Programs, 16GB unallocated and unformatted for drive self-optimization.

2 - YES you can RAID 2 drives of different size and speed, but it will be limited to the smallest and slowest drive for size and speed. Any extra space can be partitioned as another drive??

3 - I don't know if you can do what you want. I think the SSD for drive caching has to be a physical drive, not another drives partition. I'll look into it, as I want a Z68 mobo for my next build.
April 29, 2011 10:22:35 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing how Z68 performs then!
m
l
April 29, 2011 10:22:52 PM

Best answer selected by greenrider02.
m
l
!