Sign in with
Your question

Help with liquid cooling pump and rad's?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2011 4:26:21 AM

I am buying a liquid cooling system for my new Silverstone RV03 case which has support for dual 240 rad's and need to know if this pump has enough flow to handle this rig:

XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump

Dual 240 Radiators (2x 2x120mm)
1/2"ID 3/4" OD hose
Enzotech Stealth CPU Block (775 & 1366)
4x Aerocool Shark Red edition 120mm fans
3/4" OD clamps

This is my first personal liquid cooling build!
Any tips would be great and I am going with the provided parts if the pump is good!
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 5:15:34 PM

if you havent already, please go check out the water cooling section. there, the guys breathe and eat this stuff.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 10:07:42 PM

Erm, this IS the W/c section? :-p
That pump should do fine if its just the cpu your cooling
The Rasa kits have those pumps in them if you've not bought yet I suggest checking the RX240 kit and maybe add a second rad if you wish to
Moto
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 10:08:22 PM

Yes, what are you planning on cooling with your loop...CPU only? GPUs? You have enough radiator space there for a CPU+single GPU loop at stock speeds. Depending on CPU and GPU used (and if overclocked) you may consider more.

What radiators are the 240's?

That pump/res is the same that comes in the XSPC Rasa kits. (Moto commented on this above, if you haven't already purchased the rest of your build.) Radiators are the least restrictive components in a loop, so having multiple rads won't impact your flow. You should be just fine with that pump; it's pretty solid for a beginner loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 10:08:36 PM

i swear it wasnt when i posted.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 10:49:28 PM

Hehe,np man, wouldn't be the first time the forums have gone mad lol :-p
Moto
m
l
September 23, 2011 10:16:14 AM

I have a Silverstone RV03 case which supports only two 240 rads and I want to cool just my CPU.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 10:45:40 AM

Since I've already gone that route, I recommend a pump outside of the reservoir like the Swiftech MCP655 variable speed and the reservoir of your choice.

m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 1:55:25 PM

I am in favor of pump res/tops over bay res/pump combos. They are quieter, take up less space, and in almost all cases, the new res/top improves flow rates of the pump over stock tops.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 2:07:16 PM

Yeah, IMO having the circulating pump submerged in the cooling liquid, is just not a good idea.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 2:15:31 PM

Most of those bay res's for pump install typically are sealed and the pump is kept dry. There aren't a lot of submersible pumps meant for PC watercooling, but you can always go that route if you really wanted...most of them are AC powered from the wall outlet (like pond pumps), but some are DC/PSU capable. I think Hydor makes a few if I recall correctly. Most typical watercooling-designed pumps aren't submersible, so yes...keeping the pump dry is a pretty high priority. To be honest...not even sure the Rasa kit pumps are submersible or not...I'm thinking they are not but haven't seen one up close to see how the pump/res are designed in the unit.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 2:54:53 PM

can one use something like a fish tank pump for water cooling? does a pump actually need to be ran by the machines psu or mobo? im just curious.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 2:58:23 PM

I hadn't had any issues with my X2O 750 while it was running my CPU + GPU loop, and it's a pretty solid pump. I like my new MCP655 + Koolance top/res combo though :) 

You have two good options here for your loop:
1) Dedicate one 240 rad to each the CPU and GPU, which would allow you to cool both of them (cooling the GPU makes a bigger difference than the CPU IMHO).

2) Use both 240 rads and some low noise fans to cool only the CPU. However, the GPU will generally make more noise than the CPU, since the fans are smaller and have to run at higher RPMs.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 3:01:10 PM

My problems with the Rasa/Res combination was using 100% distilled water and a silver kill coil in the reservoir, less than 2 weeks later I noticed my clear tubing was frosting on the inside?

I went to a stand alone pump and separate reservoir setup with once again the silver kill coil in the reservoir, except this time the pump itself was outside the reservoir, no frosting occurred?

Even though the pump inside the reservoir is electrically isolated, the pump windings themselves produce an electromagnetic field that the silver kill coil and water occupies the same space.

I was curious as to why this had happened so I started researching was it possible for an electromagnetic field in the water solution to migrate the silver from the kill coil, and deposit silver traces on the surfaces the water is flowing through, and it is.

I knew plating is possible with direct electrical electrodes, but could it be done by just an electromagnetic field, you might want to read this, it's very interesting.

So my advice to the OP, if you do go with the Rasa Pump/Res, do not use a silver kill coil in the reservoir, you can still use a kill coil inside the tubing, but place it as far away from the pump location as possible.

I forgot to add, I also noticed deposits had begun forming inside my copper water block.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 3:11:11 PM

4Ryan6 said:
My problems with the Rasa/Res combination was using 100% distilled water and a silver kill coil in the reservoir, less than 2 weeks later I noticed my clear tubing was frosting on the inside?

I went to a stand alone pump and separate reservoir setup with once again the silver kill coil in the reservoir, except this time the pump itself was outside the reservoir, no frosting occurred?

Even though the pump inside the reservoir is electrically isolated, the pump windings themselves produce an electromagnetic field that the silver kill coil and water occupies the same space.

I was curious as to why this had happened so I started researching was it possible for an electromagnetic field in the water solution to migrate the silver from the kill coil, and deposit silver traces on the surfaces the water is flowing through, and it is.

I knew plating is possible with direct electrical electrodes, but could it be done by just an electromagnetic field, you might want to read this, it's very interesting.

So my advice to the OP, if you do go with the Rasa Pump/Res, do not use a silver kill coil in the reservoir, you can still use a kill coil inside the tubing, but place it as far away from the pump location as possible.

I forgot to add, I also noticed deposits had begun forming inside my copper water block.

Actually, that's a good point. When I pulled my pump out I noticed it and my tubing and coolant was a little gray-ish. I'm running distilled + PT Nuke, so I'm now wondering if it was the pump or if my pre-corrosion-issue EK Nickel block was just having some issues. Dunno how to test this further.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 3:14:53 PM

Mrthorp said:
can one use something like a fish tank pump for water cooling? does a pump actually need to be ran by the machines psu or mobo? im just curious.

Of course you can do that, but what if you forget to energize the pump circuit, and what if the water pump fails and shorts out powered by 110V.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 3:21:11 PM

boiler1990 said:
Actually, that's a good point. When I pulled my pump out I noticed it and my tubing and coolant was a little gray-ish. I'm running distilled + PT Nuke, so I'm now wondering if it was the pump or if my pre-corrosion-issue EK Nickel block was just having some issues. Dunno how to test this further.

I wonder what exactly is in PT Nuke?

It may actually contain some colloidal silver?

I saw the pictures of your EK block, I was curious myself as to what caused it?

Since you went to the MCP655 and Koolance have you had any more problems?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 3:25:32 PM

Usually, the clouding of tubing is from the plasticizers used in creating the vinyl/silicone tubing as it oxidizes with the flow of water. I'm wondering if there is also something to do with residue oils/solvents within a radiator or even the acrylic reservoir from the molding process that also lends to this issue...clouding is usually very evident in a brand new loop, but I've noticed far less when I've refilled my loop after draining and re-using the same tubing vs. installing new tubing.

Odd stuff, man. Although, very interesting with the Rasa res and killcoil. Wonder what you'd see with the same pump/res and moving the killcoil out completely, or putting it in a length of tubing further away from the pump/res?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 4:02:07 PM

Is that related to all the other EK nickel plating issues out there? I thought they fixed this with a new fab/plating process?
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 4:02:51 PM

@rubix_1011
Quote:
Odd stuff, man. Although, very interesting with the Rasa res and killcoil. Wonder what you'd see with the same pump/res and moving the killcoil out completely, or putting it in a length of tubing further away from the pump/res?

If you did run it in the tubing far away from the pump, you wouldn't want to locate it near the power supply either.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 4:14:32 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Is that related to all the other EK nickel plating issues out there? I thought they fixed this with a new fab/plating process?

IDK, I was just looking for other EK block owners with problems and ran across it, I was going to buy an EK block myself but after seeing what happened to boilers, I'm Leary about it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 4:30:15 PM

4Ryan6 said:
IDK, I was just looking for other EK block owners with problems and ran across it, I was going to buy an EK block myself but after seeing what happened to boilers, I'm Leary about it.

I bought my first block used but haven't seen any corrosion at all - the water was just a bit cloudy. My second block is a new EK electroless nickleplated block, so we'll see how they compare.

EK's blocks were having significant issues with just distilled and distilled + silver killcoils. Their report/independent study was reported very poorly, so it was difficult to determine any underlying causes.

So far with the new pump/res there aren't any issues other than the bubbles moving through my loop, but they aren't as frequent.

My tubing is definitely very plastic-y, so the plasticizers,etc could very well be the cause.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 4:49:15 PM

So you are 100% satisfied with your new EK block then?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 4:55:06 PM

4Ryan6 said:
So you are 100% satisfied with your new EK block then?

I mean, it's only been in my new loop for a week now. Gotta give it a little more time ;)  Other than the EN plating, the design and cooling ability are the same (AKA great).
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 6:09:00 PM

OH OK, I assume you'll run it a while and inspect it? Maybe?

If you do please report your findings?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 8:16:46 PM

Of course I will :)  I intend on letting this system be for a year or two, so hopefully these blocks are permanent.
m
l
!