Boot issues with SATA controller

ssjmarth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I have been using a SIIG (Si 3112 based?) SATA controller card with a single internal SATA HDD as my boot drive. I just bought a new SYBA SD-SATA2-2E2I and replaced the SIIG, but the SYBA will NOT boot from my drive. It does show its BIOS access page and I can access the setup with CTRL-S (gets RAID choices). The BIOS version is 6.4.09. It does recognize that my drive is connected. But that is all - it just sits there, stopped at the BIOS access screen - no drive activity.

I put my original SIIG card back in (so BOTH SATA controller cards are in). I can still boot if my drive is connected to the old SIIG, but not the new SYBA.

After booting (on the old SIIG card), I loaded all current Windows drivers. I am able to use the SYBA to connect and use an eSATA drive.

I do not need RAID. I just need to boot from my existing, single SATA HDD. Then I want to add another internal SATA drive (not RAID) and a hot-swapped eSATA drive, externally.

I read that maybe I need to flash the SYBA with "basic" BIOS rather than "RAID" to allow it to work as JBOD. I tried to use the SiImage FLASH utility from Windows CMD prompt line. It would identify the card, and report the FLASH chip type (a supported type) but BIOS version and data are reported as "UNKNOWN". When I tried to update the BIOS, it results in "Flash erase operation failed".

I think I am stuck. Is there no way to use this card to BOOT an existing SATA drive? Is this particular card maybe defective?

Thanks in advance!

Clj Jun

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Hi, my solution is, try to enter into BIOS then search for this option. Storage configuration or IDE configuration. Enter into it, you will see the setting is "enhanced" by default. Change it to compatible mode, then below the setting, change to SATA or some boards are showing SATA+sec IDE. Save your BIOS and exit.