Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ok this might sound stupid, but im starting to overclock...

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2011 7:15:50 AM

ok so ive never overclocked before but i just finished a build with an AMD 1090t in it and so i decided to give it a shot, kinda, i just increased the multiplier by 1, no voltage changes (motherboard autoadjusted a TINY bit) giving me 3.4ghz instead of 3.4, which, surprisingly to me, actually sped up windows loading time quite a bit, even that little bit.

now i dont understand the safe "rules" for overclocking, now since this TINY overclock is obviously stable, when you find a stable overclock should you turn it back to stock clock speeds when you dont need it? or do you just keep your OC for the rest of the time you run your pc?

basically, will running my cpu overclocked at say 3.9 later on, when i learn some more and get a better heatsink, all the time shorten my processors life dramatically? or does stable mean safe to run continuously?

im sorry if this is something really obvious to most people, im just recently learning hardware in general.

More about : sound stupid starting overclock

Best solution

August 30, 2011 12:53:15 PM

Your cpu life shouldn't shorten noticeably until you start turning voltages too much. So to answer your question, yes it will shorten the life. But by how much? as long as it stays nice and cool and your voltages aren't up too high not much at all. CPU's are built to last a long time, so perhaps it will only last 9.5 years instead of 10 years.

I personally have never even heard of a CPU dying before getting an upgrade without either A. Overheating B. Physical Damage...
August 30, 2011 4:38:40 PM

Best answer selected by pencilman222000.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
August 31, 2011 11:11:00 AM

Welcome to the overclocking world, most overclockers do overclock to a certain level and leave it there, balancing the extra heat produced with a good after market cooling solution.

Generally most find their maximum overclock then back down a notch or two for longevity, some however go for it and leave their machines max clocked, I personally don't recommend that, unless you have some seriously good cooling.

Most consider they'll be upgrading again before they ever burn up, or shorten the life of their CPU so a certain time loss is acceptable, the most important thing you need to know is how to do what you want to do.

So learn what you're doing first, and then do it.
m
l
!