Force3d HD4870 and VRMs

Rossan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hello to all!

I will start with showing what actually came with my card - its NOT the traditional stock cooling: its FORCE3D HD4870 512mb. That came with VRM coolers that I couldn't find anywhere on the net :(

I haven't done ANY overclocking so far...

I was getting very high temp with this cooler - 85+C on the GPU while playing a game and after 7 months the Fan started making a strange 'buzzing' sound once in a while (was always spinning at 78% min and usually at 95% while I was playing...ye it was NOISY).

Thats why I decided to get a T-rad2 and some extra cooling and noise reduction with it. I used 2x92mm Noiseblocker XE1 fans, rated 1500RPM 17dba and 29CFM each. I put the VRAM heatsinks on with easy (no idea why people are complaining about the tape), but seeing the included VRM heatsinks I decided to keep the old 'stock' VRM heatsink, as it kept the temperatures under 80 degree.

Ok I installed it and when I ran it I got what I expected. No noise from the GPU and the core temp dropped to 45 from 55 at idle and to 65 from 85+ under load (at 25 room ambient). The DISPIO, MEMIO and SHADERCORE temps remained somewhat the same under load, which is a bit strange keeping in mind I got them heatsinked, but oh well...they are under 70 so I guess it must be ok, or am I to worry about this too?

The SHOCK came after I checked my VDDC (VRM) temps after I played 15min Far Cry 2! GPU-Z was showing an avarge of 100 degree and max of 130... just WOW.. I haven't changed the VRM heatsink and still I probably increased the airflow there (the old 75mm fan cant be doing more wind than 2x92). Tested later with ATITool and the VRM temps were under 100, but still around 98 all the time...

Now here are some pics with my hd4870 and what exactly the VRM cooler looks like:
By one side; from the back; from the other side and another one from the back.

As you can see its not small at all... the dimensions are: 78-20-12 (L-W-H, mm) with 32 Fins total...that makes it around the scale of the custom Zalman VRM heatsinks I've seen...

I don't get crashes with those temperatures or any problems, but still I'm a bit afraid for the card...and what about overclocking? 750/900 clocks...uhh and still 130degree?

Can anyone help me with this? Maybe I screwed up the case ventilation?

This is a pic of my case ventilation
(yeah I know its not good, but still waiting for some money for the Armor P60) There is also the PSU with 140mm fan in the top of the case and I could put another fan in the fron but only up to 80mm :(

One last pic of my case from the inside

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MB: Gigabity EP45-UD3R
CPU: Е8400 + APX-140 + 120mm PWM fan (~700rpm);
Ядрата седят на 38 idle и 45мах при натоварване.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
RAM: Corsair DDR2 4GB @ 1066Mhz TWIN2X4096-8500C5 XMS2
PSU: Chieftec CFT-600-14CS
Sound: X-fi titanium Fatal1ty Pro

Rossan

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Can anyone help me? Is it my VRM heatsinks that cant keep up with the hotter air comming from T-RAD2 or is my case ventilation that needs fixing? :p