Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Q9550 or core i5? buiding new comp.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 24, 2009 4:12:14 PM

which is better , core i5 or q9550?

plse don't say i5 coz it's more futurue proof!! i don't care for future proofness . since q9550 is muc cheaper. if core i5 is better in performance then i"m getting i5.


also will this ram work with this board?

ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

boar :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

can u suggest cheaper ram?




thanks in advance


a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 4:56:56 PM

Phenom II 955.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 6:15:50 PM

^
I agree, phenom ii 955 all the way!. it keeps up with the i7 920 and cost less than the i5.

but if you just want to stick with intel then go for the i5, it penforms alot better than the 9550, its also expensiver but still faster and also supports ddr3.

and yes, that memory will work with that mobo.

and also that mobo will SUCK for gaming as both of its PCIE 2.0 ports works at x4 (1/4 of the actual pcie 2.0 speed) instead of x16, so the graphics card will bottleneck alot because of it.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 7:02:24 PM

oh by the way that is a really nice board for the price.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 7:12:53 PM

"plse don't say i5 coz it's more futurue proof!! i don't care for future proofness"

Fine, then don't bother asking for advice if you're content to waste money by upgrading every year.

The i5 will save you some cash in the long run because you won't have to upgrade it for a while, and the Core 2 Quads and socket 775 boards are already a dead end.
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 7:23:39 PM

BadTrip said:
The i5 750 beats the p2 955 in almost every benchmark.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=109&p2=88

You are very much wrong about that board. It has one PCIE 2.0 that runs at the full x16, then a PCIE 1.0 x16 runnig at x4.


If I was buying a cpu to play Far Cry 2, I would tend toward the core i5... but sincerely, it's almost the same thing it seems.

Also, the core i5 cost more, LGA1156 cost more than 790FX chips and they offer about the same performances. Also, the 790FX chip got a 3300 ATI IGP which is a huge advantage...
m
0
l
October 24, 2009 7:30:11 PM

already bought the i5 with ga-p55-ud3l, and that same ram

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 7:45:02 PM

That was a good purchase, I hope you enjoy it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 8:40:01 PM

BadTrip said:
The i5 750 beats the p2 955 in almost every benchmark.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=109&p2=88

You are very much wrong about that board. It has one PCIE 2.0 that runs at the full x16, then a PCIE 1.0 x16 runnig at x4.


but it also losses in some, and the p2 955 keeps up with the i7 920 on MOST things. and the i5 is also expensiver, and i5/i7 mobos are also expensiver.

and yea i were wrong about the mobo, i didn't looked at the full specs.

anyways you're just an intel fanboy.



m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 9:19:30 PM

and you are just an uninformed noob
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 9:22:38 PM

BadTrip said:
That was a good purchase, I hope you enjoy it.

Haha newb. :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 9:27:19 PM

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 9:35:23 PM

Wow thanks for the support mate. :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 9:52:17 PM

wiinippongamer said:
but it also losses in some, and the p2 955 keeps up with the i7 920 on MOST things. and the i5 is also expensiver, and i5/i7 mobos are also expensiver.

and yea i were wrong about the mobo, i didn't looked at the full specs.

anyways you're just an intel fanboy.


Cryslayer80 said:
Haha newb. :D 


Lol... I'm pretty sure you guys came to a post that was between two Intel processors and started posting about AMD. Hmm...

Anyways, good choice on the i5, it runs circles around the Q9550.

PII-955 < Q9550 < i5, btw...

And uhm... saying the 955 matches the i7 in most things is a little high of hopes if you ask me. :) 

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 10:11:11 PM

LOOOOOOL dude Phenom II 955 slower than your pitty puny Q9550? Continue dreaming, I am sorry to wake you...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 11:38:09 PM

it still beats it on almost all benchmarks, some by a few, some by much, but it just beats it. also a p2 955 can be found at 190$ on amazon, while the 9550 is at 247$ also on amazon. 57$ less and you get better penformance and ddr3 support
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 12:53:27 AM

Unless your really looking at benchmark all day long it you wont notice a difference between core i5, Pii x 4, or a core i7 at stock speed. Except for when your multi-tasking then core i7 is in a class of it's own.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 2:19:29 AM

=/ Clock for clock the Q9550 out performs the P2 955... And they OC to about the same so...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=48&p2=88

wiinippongamer said:
it still beats it on almost all benchmarks, some by a few, some by much, but it just beats it. also a p2 955 can be found at 190$ on amazon, while the 9550 is at 247$ also on amazon. 57$ less and you get better penformance and ddr3 support


Hehe, Core2Quad has ddr3 support, like it matters. And who uses Amazon. =P
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 2:42:00 AM

Raidur said:
=/ Clock for clock the Q9550 out performs the P2 955... And they OC to about the same so...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=48&p2=88



Hehe, Core2Quad has ddr3 support, like it matters. And who uses Amazon. =P



LOL yea i see a QX9770 (1000+$ cpu) is better than a 190$ one at the same clocks... :na: 

and still the incredibly cheaper p2 955 beats it in a few benchs. O_O

i use amazon cause they ship to po box, i live in venezuela so thats the only way to receive my stuff. i know neweeg and zipzoomfly can be alot cheaper but amazon's prices are just ok. at least in my opinion.


you're just trolling about the 9550 because that's what you have, accept it, a 2 generations old cpu can't be better than AMD's almost top of the line cpu
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 2:51:46 AM

Uhm... a Q9550 clocked at 3.2 is going to perform about the same as a QX9770 at stock speed.

Oops!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 3:11:53 AM

wiinippongamer said:
oh, and the C2Qs DOES NOT have ddr3 support, and it does matter, you cant compare the multitasking penformance of a 2133mhz ddr3 kit with a cheapy old standart ddr2 800 or 1066.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

!!! A LGA775 socket mobo with DDR3? I must be seeing things!

Quit before you embarrass yourself any further.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 11:06:52 AM

Radiur let me buy you an AMD Phenom II 965 so you will be happy and will not spread your ignorance anymore, okay? I mean, I know how it feels to have such an outdated, slow, inferior platform...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 11:41:35 AM

you heading for crap

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 5:01:03 PM

wiinippongamer said:
LOL yea i see a QX9770 (1000+$ cpu) is better than a 190$ one at the same clocks... :na: 

and still the incredibly cheaper p2 955 beats it in a few benchs. O_O

i use amazon cause they ship to po box, i live in venezuela so thats the only way to receive my stuff. i know neweeg and zipzoomfly can be alot cheaper but amazon's prices are just ok. at least in my opinion.


you're just trolling about the 9550 because that's what you have, accept it, a 2 generations old cpu can't be better than AMD's almost top of the line cpu



m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 1:16:37 AM

I think talk like that will get you banned, lol :p 
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 7:53:43 AM

I cannot believe that some people saying that a Phenom II 955 is better than the i5 750. That is blasphemy.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 8:51:33 AM

michaelmk86 said:
I cannot believe that some people saying that a Phenom II 955 is better than the i5 750. That is blasphemy.

I even see 3 peoples saying that PII 955 is better than i7. LOL
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 9:00:02 AM

It is blasphemy to even mention I5 in PII's presence...
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 9:24:26 AM

Cryslayer80 said:
It is blasphemy to even mention I5 in PII's presence...

Moment of truth my friend Q9550 =< PII-955 <<<<<< i5 :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 10:13:07 AM

michaelmk86 said:
I cannot believe that some people saying that a Phenom II 955 is better than the i5 750. That is blasphemy.

It doesn't come with the defective Foxconn LGA 1156 sockets. :lol: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 10:25:16 AM

jj463rd said:
It doesn't come with the defective Foxconn LGA 1156 sockets. :lol: 

i5 can still overclock to 4.2GHz without any issue even with the Foxconn 1156 socket as mentioned in the "P55 Extreme Overclockers: Check your sockets!" article, compared to the merely 3.8GHz on PII 955.

In addition, i5 is better than PII 955 clock per clock and so i5>>PII 955.

Beside, AMD PII 955 system is just $22 cheaper than i5 system at my location. Hence, anyone who get PII 955 instead is an idi0t.

It is another story in the U.S. where i7-920 is merely $20 more than i5/955. Anyone who get i5/955 in the U.S. are fkn idi0t!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 10:58:44 AM

andy5174 said:
i5 can still overclock to 4.2GHz without any issue even with the Foxconn 1156 socket as mentioned in the "P55 Extreme Overclockers: Check your sockets!" article, compared to the merely 3.8GHz on PII 955.

In addition, i5 is better than PII 955 clock per clock and so i5>>PII 955.

Beside, AMD PII 955 system is just $22 cheaper than i5 system at my location. Hence, anyone who get PII 955 instead is an idi0t.

It is another story in the U.S. where i7-920 is merely $20 more than i5/955. Anyone who get i5/955 in the U.S. are fkn idi0t!


The i5 is clearly more potent and can oc better than a PII955 no question about that when used on a working motherboard.
But if one has a defective socket there can be a question of how many days,weeks or months in which an i5 system could possibly fail due to less contacts on power pins especially if oc'd.If there was a no contact on a data pin the CPU wouldn't even work.
If you delve further than just one article you will find out more about the problem.
That article didn't derive from the original source either.
I'm pretty sure that in a couple of months the LGA1156 socket problem won't exist anymore until that time I would wait.
As to the i7-920 it clearly depends on if one lives close to a microcenter retail store and can pick one up.
Many people in the U.S. don't have one nearby.The closest one to me is about 700 miles away and that would be quite an expensive not cost effective time consuming trip just to pick up a CPU.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 1:33:33 PM

if i only knew about this socket issue i wouldn't have bought i5 ....thanks for telling me 2 days later ;[ ... is it still a problem if i will not OC?

edit: i knew the prob but i didn't know it was serious... and i heard that it only has probs if you oc, which i will not.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 1:52:22 PM

From what i've heard there shouldn't be a problem if you don't oc.Then again a possibility exists of early future component lifetime failure.No one really knows.However be careful in installing the CPU and especially the heatsink.The more patient and more skill you have getting it on with care could determine if more contacts will be on their pins.
Also this only affects those with Foxconn sockets.You can look around to find P55 motherboards that are less likely to use the foxconn sockets.
Read the forums both at anandtech's article.
the threads here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...

and you can find some better newer motherboards coming out without the problem.You could study these boards during the meantime and pick a good one when they are available.Do your research and you will avoid problems.
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 2:30:20 PM

do gigabyte boards have it - ga-p55-ud3l ???... if yes can i return the board to newegg ? I am not gonna open the box.

the parts are supposed to come today.
Still even if I am not gonna oc , i can't bare the fact that i have a defective board running, i will be worried constantly :( 

My current system broke (mobo only , not cpu) :(  so I don't want another one to break on me that fast ...
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 2:44:39 PM

i checked the stickied thread , and Gigabyte have Foxconn sockets. Should i return it?
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 3:49:19 PM

jj463rd said:
I looked at newegg at the picture of that motherboard.Indeed it did look like it had the foxconn socket.I noticed one user that had that motherboard and complained.
See the second post here.
http://www.techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6...

I just typed a search under ga-p55-ud3l foxconn socket issue

thank you! i also looked at the picture on Newegg , and contacted newegg for refund . They said RMA it with 15% of your price which sucks. So i will only return the mobo.
Can you suggest a good board that doesn't have this issue?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 4:05:04 PM

I've heard of new motherboards that gigabyte was coming out with that didn't use foxconn sockets.Also newer DFI brand motherboards were going to use the Lotes socket in the future.As of yet it's still hard to determine for sure.
Just read all the threads I am sure that you will find a non defective socket board in the next few weeks.
You might even want to wait and not be impatient on this.
It's pretty certain that after a month or 2 this will be straightened out.
Even Foxconn will correct this issue too.
I would avoid being a first buyer of new technology though as this is a hard knocks school lesson.

m
0
l
October 26, 2009 6:08:55 PM

why does newegg want me to rma something that probably hasn't even left the warehouse yet?, and worst of all they need 15% restocking fee. -_-

I could punch newegg in the face right now
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 7:15:42 PM

demonnn said:
why does newegg want me to rma something that probably hasn't even left the warehouse yet?, and worst of all they need 15% restocking fee. -_-

I could punch newegg in the face right now

That's why you should research, check the results and then think about it whilst researching some more and then only when you really know what you are buying should you click the 'checkout' button. ;) 
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 8:33:38 PM

jj463rd said:
I've heard of new motherboards that gigabyte was coming out with that didn't use foxconn sockets.Also newer DFI brand motherboards were going to use the Lotes socket in the future.As of yet it's still hard to determine for sure.
Just read all the threads I am sure that you will find a non defective socket board in the next few weeks.
You might even want to wait and not be impatient on this.
It's pretty certain that after a month or 2 this will be straightened out.
Even Foxconn will correct this issue too.
I would avoid being a first buyer of new technology though as this is a hard knocks school lesson.
i heard evga cards don't have the issue 'cause they use LOTES socket. How true is this?
like this one for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 12:07:43 AM

I'm not sure.I have heard that evga used both foxconn and Lotes sockets for their motherboards however I've heard that they are switching to just using the Lotes socket.I would wait for a few weeks before buying anything.Myself I was planning on building an i5 system until the news about the defective sockets hit for the P55 motherboards.You can read a thread here.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100974248&mpage=1&k...
m
0
l
!