Should i keep the HD 4890??

RaPiD987

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hey guys!

I received my XFX 4890 rev.4 yesterday and i would have to say im very disappointed. First off all, i can't overclock over it as i read s much about from reviews. The highest stable overclock was 900 (850 default) core clock and 1090 (975 default) mem clock :fou: (using OCCT) . I was like no way :eek: ! I tried some trouble shooting, restore my HD, installing old drivers, installing new drivers, cranking up the fan to 60%, but no luck. Compare to my GTX 260, this thing pushes lots of hot air out of its vents, louder than my 3 Scythe 3000 rpm "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fans when i set my fan at 65+%, and it has an annoying high pitch noise when i play games. :non: So, now i'm wondring if i should return it and ask for a different on or just get my money back... The thing is that i bought it a compusa and it took a freaken week to get here... I don't want to wait another 2 weeks for my stuff to get here.....

What should i do?

I got a headset too and the mic does not work.... :fou:

Solution
Overclocking is always a lottery, looks like you are just not lucky this time.
The fan noise was widely criticized, but do not expect a GTX275 or GTX260 to be much quieter with their fans turned up either.
The high pitched buzz is electronic resonance and seemes to be common, it's not harmful but could easily be cited as a reason for a return.
You obviously do not like the card and that dislike is going to get more acute with time, so I would suggest you return it as soon as possible and either: Swap it for another, but be aware, the fan is going to be just as loud if the replacement uses the reference cooler. Or return it for a refund and get a GTX275, which has similar performance and power demands but is a bit quieter.
Overclocking is always a lottery, looks like you are just not lucky this time.
The fan noise was widely criticized, but do not expect a GTX275 or GTX260 to be much quieter with their fans turned up either.
The high pitched buzz is electronic resonance and seemes to be common, it's not harmful but could easily be cited as a reason for a return.
You obviously do not like the card and that dislike is going to get more acute with time, so I would suggest you return it as soon as possible and either: Swap it for another, but be aware, the fan is going to be just as loud if the replacement uses the reference cooler. Or return it for a refund and get a GTX275, which has similar performance and power demands but is a bit quieter.

Solution