Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Heatsink recommendation for this setup

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 30, 2011 8:08:27 PM

hey there, I was going to do a lil shopping for a heatsink for this particular setup. Its an HTPC and the key here is to get lower temps than that the stock cooler i have now, btw the cooler doesn't have a copper core, its all alluminium. Quiet is the second KEY word :p 

here's the rig;

and specs;

intel core i3-2100 @ stock speeds (with slight bumped voltages to rid BSOD)
ECS H67H2-M Black deluxe
Twinmos 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz @ 1.55V
2TB Samsung HD204UI with latest firmware
Transnet water cooling capable casing ATX mid tower case
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W
Lite-on DVD+/-RW

i apologize for all these pics, i couldn't find any links via google so i thought i can give you a good idea of the chassis and the parts/cabling i did.

*1| i could also do with a cooler suggestion for the ram dimms / mobo area.
2| i have the 80-port display CPU temps , and i can see it hitting 38'C with the CPU on idle

Thank you for taking the time to read this :) 
Cheers!

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2011 10:51:32 AM

My Favorite cooler has always been the coolermaster V8 and runs at extremely good temps might be nice for your rig, very cool looking cooler, also maybe look at the thermal-take Spin Q if you are looking for air cooling, if you want to take it up a notch look at the new Corsair hydro series kit they also really awesome. I have added the link below. Have fun.

http://www.corsair.com/cooling/hydro-series.html

I would recommend these, i am in the market for the H100 at the moment.
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2011 2:45:35 PM

I have the CM V8 heatsink; it performs well; idle temps currently 29 degrees C at an ambient of 21 degrees C.

My first choice was a Prolimatech Megahalem, but my tall Corsair Dominator RAM interferes with the RAM in slot #1. It might fit in your computer because the Sandy Bridge motherboards have more space between the CPU and RAM slot #1.

You have lots of opportunities to add fans at the top and at the bottom (Front and Rear fans are musts).
Score
Related resources
September 10, 2011 3:36:48 PM

Pilk said:
My Favorite cooler has always been the coolermaster V8 and runs at extremely good temps might be nice for your rig, very cool looking cooler, also maybe look at the thermal-take Spin Q if you are looking for air cooling, if you want to take it up a notch look at the new Corsair hydro series kit they also really awesome. I have added the link below. Have fun.

http://www.corsair.com/cooling/hydro-series.html

I would recommend these, i am in the market for the H100 at the moment.

+10000, I love my V8. I mainly bought it because it looks so good. It cools excellent also. My i7 920 idles at 25-30C :) ...and that with the fan speed knob down completely.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
September 10, 2011 4:32:27 PM

:)  thanks for all the suggestions.
1| there isn't much space between the cpu socket and the first ram slot.
2| been doing some digging with the hydro series as the top of the case can accept a good amount of hardware in terms of a watercooling loop...though i'm afraid there isn't much clearance to go with between the top of the mobo mosfet heatsink and the top grill.
3| the antec's kuhler range is also enticing but i suppose my pal would run into a budget bottleneck
4| hows the thermalright HR 02 for a case like this? silent, passive and good with an OC'ed SB but i just have a bumped voltage SB i3-2100 - so that wouldn't be pushing the thermal barrier , now would it?
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2011 5:58:13 PM

Correction: My heatsink is a CM V8; not V6 (typo).
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2011 11:21:35 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
+10000, I love my V8. I mainly bought it because it looks so good. It cools excellent also. My i7 920 idles at 25-30C :) ...and that with the fan speed knob down completely.

LOL Black thats insane those are excellent temps just coming from an air cooled unit on that processor. But yes by far and none the best ever looking cooler IN THE WORLD! =)
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2011 11:28:35 AM

Lutfij said:
:)  thanks for all the suggestions.
1| there isn't much space between the cpu socket and the first ram slot.
2| been doing some digging with the hydro series as the top of the case can accept a good amount of hardware in terms of a watercooling loop...though i'm afraid there isn't much clearance to go with between the top of the mobo mosfet heatsink and the top grill.
3| the antec's kuhler range is also enticing but i suppose my pal would run into a budget bottleneck
4| hows the thermalright HR 02 for a case like this? silent, passive and good with an OC'ed SB but i just have a bumped voltage SB i3-2100 - so that wouldn't be pushing the thermal barrier , now would it?

Hey Lut personally i would not be to concerned i think space wouldn't be such an issue for you on the manufacturers website there should be dimensions of the coolers use those and match them up to your motherboards specs. The great passive cooling question???? Personally i think passive cooling is a load of rubbish unfortunately it really doesn't work as well as air colling your heat sink. All you going to be doing is moving your heat from your CPU into your heat sinks, into the chassis you need to make sure you are able to extract the internal system heat now by the use of chassis fans to clear out the hot air. Air cooling the heatsinks is a bit more to the point as it pushes the hot air away from the cpu and heat sinks, personal opinion stay away from passive, only benefit is if you where trying to make the system silent.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
September 11, 2011 1:22:31 PM

:)  the initial post mentions that it is an HTPC - the more fans i.e: moving parts i add - i have the noise. so yeah silent is what i'd want to go for. I also looked up the Corsair H100 - to mount inside the top of the chassis. But i don't think my buddy will shell out the ~$100.

though i'm yet to look at HR02 prices...
Score
September 11, 2011 4:05:22 PM

Pilk said:
LOL Black thats insane those are excellent temps just coming from an air cooled unit on that processor. But yes by far and none the best ever looking cooler IN THE WORLD! =)

Well my i7 920 D0 is at stock (2.66Ghz), because I have no need to overclock it...it does its job beautifully everywhere I need. Secondly, my ambient temperature is quite low. I'm a person that hates high temperatures, the lower the better. So in the winter, I keep my house ambient temperature at around 63-65 and during summer is around 72-75 which I've heard is a lot lower than many people have it and it brings my hardware temperatures down low with it.

My HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3) idles at 23-26C. This is all during summer...right now. My GPU (GTX460), idles at 35-43C, and my motherboard sensor (I think its SYSTIN in hardware monitor is around 36-39).

I also have a giant IDE cable blocking lots of airflow, because of my ODD which I never replaced.
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2011 8:43:48 PM

LOL yip a CPU of that caliber no need to overlock it, im also running a GTX 460 EVGA wonderful card upgraded from an 8800GT XFX. Clever idea keeping the external air cooler should start doing that at my place, oh and also it just hit spring here and my card sits at about 60 to 70 degrees! really bad compared to you temps LOL.
Score
September 11, 2011 9:10:54 PM

^I upgraded from an overclocked EVGA 8800GTS 640MB. It was a truly great card, but the GTX460 absolutely demolishes it.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
September 11, 2011 9:25:22 PM

ahem, could you guys please stick to the topic...? I'm looking for a cooler not a GPU. Please start another thread or just PM eachother about it - with respect to Tom's ruling :) 
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2011 6:07:36 PM

LOL Sorry we did turn a bit off topic. 8800 very good for its time though. Now back onto topic. We have answered your questions however and you have not given a direct reply for our statements.

"Hey Lut personally i would not be to concerned i think space wouldn't be such an issue for you on the manufacturers website there should be dimensions of the coolers use those and match them up to your motherboards specs. The great passive cooling question???? Personally i think passive cooling is a load of rubbish unfortunately it really doesn't work as well as air colling your heat sink. All you going to be doing is moving your heat from your CPU into your heat sinks, into the chassis you need to make sure you are able to extract the internal system heat now by the use of chassis fans to clear out the hot air. Air cooling the heatsinks is a bit more to the point as it pushes the hot air away from the cpu and heat sinks, personal opinion stay away from passive, only benefit is if you where trying to make the system silent."

Thank You!
Score
September 12, 2011 8:00:20 PM

Lutfij said:
ahem, could you guys please stick to the topic...? I'm looking for a cooler not a GPU. Please start another thread or just PM eachother about it - with respect to Tom's ruling :) 

Yeah, I made my recommendation and answered your question.

The only thing we are doing by posting off topic is keeping your thread on the top of the forum...

You're Welcome!
Score
September 12, 2011 8:18:51 PM

V6GT is better for cooling than V8, but if you want quiet, you should really count most CM coolers out.
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2011 8:33:19 PM

Correct its a pleasure. So say thank you to the both of us. =)
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 9:17:17 AM

FtsArTek said:
V6GT is better for cooling than V8, but if you want quiet, you should really count most CM coolers out.

yeah thas what i was thinking. If I should get any CM cooler it'd either have to be the Hyper 212+ or the V6GT.

the CM V8 however is the worst of its kind. I can find better for the same price. Thank you both for all the input - otherwise i would've been lost as to where i should start. Did a good amount of research and came to the conclusion that I'd get wither;

thermalright HR 02
Noctua C12P
CM Hyper 212+
Corsair H100 - if i see i have 2.05" of clearance between to top mosfet heatsink and the grill.

Pilk gets the award from this thread for giving an insight tot he corsair H100

cheers

P.S: @ blackhawk , if you believe the thread to be solved, report it tot he mods and stop hijacking other threads. Tom's rule 101 - no hijackers - or there will be penalties.

@ FtsArTek - didn't notice your post there - hmmm you made the point that i made...:/
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 9:18:23 AM

Best answer selected by Lutfij.
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 12:19:49 PM

Well enjoy Lut if you do get the H100 let me know how it goes as i am looking into getting one.
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 1:52:25 PM

Quote:
P.S: @ blackhawk , if you believe the thread to be solved, report it tot he mods and stop hijacking other threads. Tom's rule 101 - no hijackers - or there will be penalties.

It technically wasn't a hijack- he answered your questions and simply decided to include some of his own conversation about his own build.

A hijack is a user simply asking a completely new question on someone else's thread specific to their own situation...which he did not do. A tangent of conversation yes...hijack...no.

And no offense, for the cost of each of those air coolers, you could get almost the same performance from others for less money. At almost $100+ for these, you're better off with an actual entry-level watercooling kit. And no...the H100 is not a watercooling kit...for almost the exact same cost as the H100, you could get into a Rasa RS240 watercooling kit which would perform much better.
Score
a c 78 K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 3:53:15 PM

Quote:
And no...the H100 is not a watercooling kit...for almost the exact same cost as the H100, you could get into a Rasa RS240 watercooling kit which would perform much better.
c'mon bro, i know that corsair H100 isn't even related to the other WC kits/custom loops out there! yes you're right...though what would you suggest if i had to look at a cheap air cooler...thas quiet?

This HTPC was built for my pal and he's really(i mean REALLY) nitpicky about sound from a fan - but he ain't willing to shell out on a custom loop like i suggested a few months back :)  He's more of a guy who plugs things-in and doesn't want to bother with it - trust me when i say he redefines the definition of dust-bunnies! :whistle: 

rubix - bro, i'm yet working to save up on a replacement for my modded corsair H50 - cos lets face it, its nothing like a real wc loop.

@ the other two poster's - i apologize and thank you both :) 
Score
a c 293 K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 5:26:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!