boiler146

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I went to re install windows xp on my desk top, it got to the point of no return where my lastest version was wiped clean. On the install side it was 30% when it gave me a message that my disk was older then the previous version . Now i am stuck with no working os and have bsod . Does any one know where i can download a newer version of xp ?? or get my disk to work???

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

A fresh installation wouldn't throw that message but a Repair installation could have. Start again but remember that the older disk has no up to date Service Pack - maybe SP2 and 3 - so update as soon as you get it online.

rtfgirl

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Also, do a CLEAN install... clear your cmos, format your hd b4 reinstalling! Also, if your PC is getting up in age, it's not a bad idea to reseat all your power supply connectors, and your RAM, but make sure that your grounded!

boiler146

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

I thank you for your interest and time reading my post. I am at the point now where i cant do anything, it is on the blue screen for a new install but i also have a error message on screen telling me my machine is unable to find a file , samsrv.dll . I cant get it to go any further in the install, i have manually shut it down and tried to start it up in safe mode or bois to try to get it to start it up with the cd drive booting first trying to get it back to installing the os. It seams to be stuck on the windows blue install screens , you know the one that tells you the progress of your install. Mine says 39 minutes to go but does nothing, i have left it for a couple of hours and the install does not progress. Pulling my hair out!!! What hair i have left!! LOL

boiler146

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
How do i access the master boot record and then format it??????????? When i first start it up i can either hit del or tab to get to the bois ~~~~~ am i on the right track??
Once again thanks for your help!

Go into the BIOS and check that the CD ROM is top of the Boot Order or Boot Sequence list. If it isn't, there's every chance the hard disk is being explored first and finding a flawed MBR. Are you using a genuine gold coloured Microsoft CD for this installation? If you are, perhaps it needs cleaning - put a fingertip of toothpaste on the face and gently wipe it over with a piece of lint-free cloth and definitely NOT wood-based kitchen paper.

boiler146

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Once again thanking you in advance for all your help, I did as you suggested and cleaned the disk ( which is a genuine ms xp disk). I then changed the boot sequence and had the cd boot first. The next step was to install windows which i did, it seam to not be able to copy alot of the files most .dll file extensions. I wrote them down and continued with the install. It got to the point to where it asked for the product key and usual set up info, then it restarted its self and i thought i was on my way, however when it restarted it came up a blue screen with the following error message.....

" the login user interface, msgina.dll failed to load, contact system admin to replace dll or restore original dll." This error message has a restart button on the window it came with , after clicking restart it came to the same error message.

I do have a microsoft windows xp disk sp2 so i do not understand why it could not copy all the files........

once again thanks for your time, I am disabled and can not afford to take it in to a shop so all your help is very much appriceated

That msgina message is something I'd expect to see in an existing installation where a foreign **gina.dll had taken over and need to be elbowed. I'm out of ideas on this one, short of suggesting a Linux system would be a free of charge way of replacing XP.

Hang on here for better ideas, though.