Sign in with
Your question

65-75$ PSU Advice. (three candidates)

Last response: in Components
October 24, 2009 4:43:49 PM

Hi all! This is my first post, from reader I`ve become the writer. I'm an amateur overclocker & gamer, though I work most of my free time in other domains, like electronic music prod/master.
My 470W Thermaltake died after 1year and I didn`t do anything, didn't forced it too much, voltages & other stressful factors :( 
I have a limited budget from 65$ to 75$max and I`ve recently chosen 3 candidates:

a) OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W
b) CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W
c) SILVERSTONE ST50F 500W

I would recommend myself the corsair psu, but there's something to the other 2..... Even if my budget is limited, I'm looking for 2 main qualities @ a PSU:

(1) long life (quality int built)
(2) silent under no pressure.

I want all of your opinions, piece of advice - I'll be more than grateful..
Peace ;) 

-----------------------------------------
PS: srry if my english sucks :??: 

More about : psu advice candidates

Related resources
October 24, 2009 7:36:56 PM

thanks for your answers... I think I`ll go for Corsair, though I like OCZ soooo muuuch for being modular and having 2 rails of 25Amp... (chosing Corsair will be mostly for the seasonic parts, which means quality for some long time now)
October 24, 2009 7:47:20 PM

The warranty of 5 years is not a good point for a 50$ power supply, it will cost you 20$ to ship back and wait for a RMA, better buying a new one when that happens.

I don't know in USA, but here the latest OCZ Modxstream are really cheap and they got an awesome efficiency at 60% of their power, over 85%.

59.99$ cad

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456&vpn=OC...
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 24, 2009 8:06:57 PM

IWillLight said:
... though I like OCZ soooo muuuch for being modular and having 2 rails of 25Amp...

Not quite true. It has two rails, each capable of a maximum of 25 amps. That's not the same thing as two 25 amp rails. If it had two 25 amp rails, it would be at least a 600 watt PSU (50 amps X 12 volts).
a c 248 ) Power supply
October 24, 2009 8:50:37 PM

redgarl - Did you read the technical review I linked to?

xbonez - It's an adequate power supply. Originally there was a problem until it was discovered that model had incorrect advertising about it's capability at high temperatures.
October 24, 2009 10:14:09 PM

i`ll go with corsair, why not...modular in another life maybe ..lol
i hope it will handle OC with voltage changes...
October 25, 2009 12:20:18 PM

Corsair all the way...I love my vx550...sooooooo quiet!
I sometimes have to put my hand on the back of it to make sure the fan is runnung!...lol
JQ
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2009 1:01:44 PM

IWillLight said:
Hi all! This is my first post, from reader I`ve become the writer. I'm an amateur overclocker & gamer, though I work most of my free time in other domains, like electronic music prod/master.
My 470W Thermaltake died after 1year and I didn`t do anything, didn't forced it too much, voltages & other stressful factors :( 
I have a limited budget from 65$ to 75$max and I`ve recently chosen 3 candidates:

a) OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W
b) CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W
c) SILVERSTONE ST50F 500W

I would recommend myself the corsair psu, but there's something to the other 2..... Even if my budget is limited, I'm looking for 2 main qualities @ a PSU:

(1) long life (quality int built)
(2) silent under no pressure.

I want all of your opinions, piece of advice - I'll be more than grateful..
Peace ;) 

-----------------------------------------
PS: srry if my english sucks :??: 

go for the corsair vx550, its just 4$ expensiver than the 450
October 25, 2009 1:18:41 PM

thanks to all of you for the input - corsair chosen!!! \m/ :) 
!