I7 920 Processor Only Reads One Core

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
The Device Manager Shows 8 Cores But only 1 core is being Used.

Pc Wizzard Results Below.
Showing only 1 Core Enabled, im Using Windows vista 64-bit

Processor : Intel Core i7 0
Frequency : 266680 MHz - (current : 2666.75 MHz)
Number of Core : 8
Support : Socket 1366 LGA
Cache L1 : 8 x 96 KB
Cache L2 : 4 x 256 KB
Cache L3 : 8 x 8192 KB
FPU Coprocessor : Present
Core 1 Activity : 2%
Core 2 Activity : 0%
Core 3 Activity : 0%
Core 4 Activity : 0%
Core 5 Activity : 0%
Core 6 Activity : 0%
Core 7 Activity : 0%

Number of Core :8
Number of Core Enabled :1

Ive been having trouble with this system build from the start with problems booting into windows. i did manage to boot into windows long enough to load vista. This showed my processor at 5.9 in the windows experience rating. However when i tried to update to service pack 2 the system crashed and would not reboot at all. I then had to do a complete re-install of vista then my processor showed up as only 1 core in device manager and system configaration only showed 1 processor,and windows experience went down to 4.7. in the boot configuration advanced settings i checked detect HAL unchecked processor and rebooted the system which then failed to boot into windows unless i loaded the default settings which then booted into windows i went back to system configuration and this showed no changes at all. I then checked HAL and checked processor this resulted in the system booting and 8 cores being showed in device manager, but only shows 1 processor and one thread is system configuration other programs such as cpu-z and pc wizzard show only 1 core enabled.

Ive tried repairing windows and re-installed chip set drivers with no effect, if i alter any settings in system configuration menu the system will not boot.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to activate all cores. and solve the boot problem

Many Thanks War994.

war994

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
This is my system spec's

SYSTEM

CPU. I7 920
CPU COOLER. THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME + 120MM FAN.
PSU. THERMALTAKE 1500W
MOTHERBOARD. ASROCK X58 SUPERCOMPUTER
MEMORY. CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ
SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE. OCZ CORE SERIES V2 60GB AS BOOT DRIVE.
HARD DRIVE. 300GB WD VELOCIERAPTOR.
GPU. NVIDIA 9800X2.
CD/DVD/BLURAY DRIVE.