Vertex 2 25 nand - Is it any good?

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hello all,

I tried on another thread to get a response to this question but was unsuccessful.

I have seen the Vertex 2 128 GB as low as $165.00 with rebates. Considering it was king of the hill in its 34 nand form is the 25 nand V2 worth buying.

I have heard that it is slower and has less memory. Tom's Hardware did an article on this not too long ago and they said that OCZ was working on a solution to this. What is happening now. Does the 25 nand V2 still have the problems that were cited in that article?

Thanks

Solution
As a beta-tester for OCZ, I can only speak from experience with testing the Vertex 3.

If you're not the lifespan nut that some are(most don't have a clue as to how long these things can last), then you'll be better off with the Vertex 3 Max IOPS version as it has incompressible write speeds that are about 70MB/s faster than the regular V3 120GB version. It's very close to the 240GB V3 in comparison, whereas the OWC 120GB would be similar to the regular V3 120GB.

Personally speaking as the owner of V2 and V3, I would never recommend going with the older Sandforce drives unless cost is the primary concern. The newer controller on the V3 is just too much improved and you're much more forward compatible in a purchase like that. The...

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks, that is what I was trying to find out. I really don't want to be sifting through part numbers to see what nand OCZ is including in the V2 but it is good to know that they are available.

I'm thinking that the new OWC 120 GB or V3 120 GB might be worth the extra $125. Do you have a preference in the comparison between the two?

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
As a beta-tester for OCZ, I can only speak from experience with testing the Vertex 3.

If you're not the lifespan nut that some are(most don't have a clue as to how long these things can last), then you'll be better off with the Vertex 3 Max IOPS version as it has incompressible write speeds that are about 70MB/s faster than the regular V3 120GB version. It's very close to the 240GB V3 in comparison, whereas the OWC 120GB would be similar to the regular V3 120GB.

Personally speaking as the owner of V2 and V3, I would never recommend going with the older Sandforce drives unless cost is the primary concern. The newer controller on the V3 is just too much improved and you're much more forward compatible in a purchase like that. The throttling and garbage collection is noticably improved as well on the V3 over the V2.

In other words, you'll be much happier to have this V3 as a hand-me-down years from now than alowly V2 that will seem like a small, slow, overpriced USB stick.

Good Luck on the hunt.

Solution

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

In the 120 GB range, do you know how the V3 Max IOPS compares to the OWC? I am a little frustrated because I have not seen very many reviews on the OWC drives (none in Tom's Hardware to my knowledge).

Also OWC advertises that their garage collect / trim / self leveling systems are more efficient than OCZ and other SSD company's systems. Do you know if that claim is true?

TRENDING THREADS