OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Hey Everyone,
I've been looking for a solution to my problem on and off for the last while and I haven't really been able to come across any solutions, figured it was time to ask the experts. :)
i recently rebuilt my gaming machine the an Asus Sabertooth P67, Intel Core i5 2500k, and 16GB of Corsair RAM, and a ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6970. The final peice of the puzzle was the OCZ vertex 3 240GB SSD.
It runs pretty very nicely, but once in a while i will notice the computer freeze with whatever i am doing and the hard drive activity light go solid green. This seems to happen about once a day. Now, it generally freezes for about 10 - 30 seconds and then resumes fine. Today it just froze all together and a hard reset was necessary. I have read people having this issue before but that was more on the older SSDs that were running older controllers that didn't really support TRIM very well or at all. My SSD and DVDROM are both plugged into the Intel SATA 6 interface on the motherboard. Other than these freezes once a day or so my system performs pretty much in line with the benches i've been seeing for most of these components online.
I'm not really sure where to start trouble shooting this. I believe its been doing this ever since i built it, and my experience with SSDs start with this machine.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit as well, and this install is pretty clean. Only a couple weeks old.
Any advice on where i should be looking/starting?
4 answers Last reply
More about vertex 240gb
  1. Find out if there are any firmware updates for your ssd and your motherboard.

Here is a link to an article about optimizing Windows for use with a solid state drive:

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/
  2. JohnnyLucky said:
    Find out if there are any firmware updates for your ssd and your motherboard.

Here is a link to an article about optimizing Windows for use with a solid state drive:

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

I did look for firmware updates for the drive before and OCZ has nothing for it. I will go through the optimizations on the website you suggested (when i have a moment after work of course. :) ) but i have checked out similar articles before and they didn't really offer much tangible benefit. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
  3. go to OCZ's forums and read the known workarounds for the freezing issue you are seeing here. There are a few known issues so far and the biggest one is to enable hotswapping for all ports in the bios as the mobo comes with the setting disabled which is causing some sort of legacy mode that the Sandforce controller does not like.

The other more obscure fixes are to set the drive to never power down in the power options along with a known LPM reg hack that's necessary for some using the Intel drivers. has something to do with the ports timing out due to some screwy power mgmt settings that Intel implemented for some mobo's.
  4. I just recently built my sandy bridge system and my system use to freeze as well just like yours...Until i increase the voltage on my ram...I don't think it's your SSD..
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage