New to the scene - Corsair H60

usmaak

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hi,

I put in an H60 over the weekend. I am very new to all of this, and haven't overclocked at all yet. The main reason that I did it was to get rid of the stupid, loud stock cooler. It is definitely more quiet than that, so mission accomplished there...

My question is about the idle temps of this cooler. I made sure that I had everything installed according to the directions. Everything is plugged in correctly. I did not use any special thermal paste. Just what the H60 came with. I made sure to completely clean the CPU before putting the heatsink onto it. My computer is in a midtower type of case. Motherboard is an MSI P67A-C43. I have a fan pulling in on the side and one pulling in on the front. The ambient temp in my house is currently 78 degrees F. My CPU idle temps are between 39 and 41 C as read by AIDA64. One of the cores usually shows one or two degrees higher than the others. I stress tested it by using the system stability test in AIDA. It pushes the CPU to 100 percent. The temperature bounced around in the upper 50s.

Can someone tell me if these are normal temps? The idle temp is only a couple of degrees cooler than with the stock cooler. But the temps when the system is under stress are between 10 and 12 degrees cooler.

Thanks!

That's what you should expect to see; good coolers can dissipate more heat under higher heat loads (i.e. higher CPU load). Each core will vary slightly from one another.

My Cooler Master Hyper 212+ used to max out at ~52-55C, and my current LC loop keeps it at about the same (though it dropped my GPU temps significantly).

usmaak

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks. I wasn't sure if those idle temps were good. I'm glad to hear that they're as they should be. And I was wrong about my ambient temp. It's more like 81 up here now.

Now all I need to do is get a couple of good quality fans to give push pull a try. The fan that came with the H60 is ok, but it does whine a bit when it really spins up.