Sign in with
Your question

Is there any point to a factory overclock?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2009 9:41:52 PM

..such as the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 285 AMP! Edition? I mean, aren't they just doing what you could do yourself before you buy it, and then charge extra?

If so, lame, if not - you gain something extra, and that's worth paying for!

If you know, speak up, so I can consider it for my decision.

Thanks in advance,

Ottosen.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2009 9:46:54 PM

In most cases, a factory overclock isn't worth the price increase over the non OC version.

But, if the factory OC version is the same, then it is covered by the companies warranty, so you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty by OCing the card.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2009 9:49:51 PM

well, the OC's they do are not that impressive, many of the stock cards when OC'ed could hit the speeds of the OC card and even higher

it just that the OC card is guaranteed at the speeds they advertise, so with the stock card, you may not be able to go any higher

btw, i think they charge way too much more for their factory OC cards
Related resources
August 15, 2009 10:01:16 PM

Well the thing is, I had 2 GTX 285 from asus with this Super ML cap that supposedly gives better oc capibilites and lower temperatures, but they have sooo much coil squeal, that I have to send them back, and I'm trying to find a replacement.

I have a feeling that if I just get 2 new of the same, the whole situation will repeat itself.
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 15, 2009 10:20:16 PM

sometime the factory OC card comes with better cooling. Depends on the card and manufacturer so you would need to do your research.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2009 11:04:06 PM

Stock OC is OC via bios. If you use riva tuner or CCC its just a software OC and it loads the profile how you set it to. IMO its not worth the $$$
August 15, 2009 11:12:18 PM

Hi, they only advantage is that you get OC + warranty. gl
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2009 12:00:32 AM

daship said:
Stock OC is OC via bios. If you use riva tuner or CCC its just a software OC and it loads the profile how you set it to. IMO its not worth the $$$

You CAN flash in a moded BIOS with the OC if you wish.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2009 12:12:19 AM

Really depends on the card. There are some overclocked ones like the XFX XXX edition was quiet an overclock that would be hard for most people to get on their own without knowing what they were doing (and given it was on air cooling as well)

other time it really isn't worth it as almost all graphics cards (or motherboards.) come with seriously easy to use overclocking tools that are just moving slider bars. Many companies also still cover you if you overclock so long as you don't do anything stupid.
August 16, 2009 1:24:59 AM

No not really in my opinion waste of money you can do it yourself with simple guides
August 16, 2009 3:59:16 AM

Just use brands that support overclocking and you should be fine. XFX and evga pretty much support it and I think they are the only ones that do.
August 16, 2009 4:49:45 AM

chef7734 said:
Just use brands that support overclocking and you should be fine. XFX and evga pretty much support it and I think they are the only ones that do.

You mean for the sake of the warranty? Cause as far as I've experienced, they don't overclock better than any other GTX285 brand card really.
August 16, 2009 4:50:42 AM

ottosen said:
You mean for the sake of the warranty? Cause as far as I've experienced, they don't overclock better than any other GTX285 brand card really.

Yes that would be brands that support over clocking in their warranty.
August 16, 2009 4:53:09 AM

Wow..fast reply :D  Why would anyone be up at this hour! It's 6.50 am here :) 

But thanks for all the answers guys! I think I've changed my mind, and I'd either go for the Gainward cause of the 2 coolers, or the Palit also with 2 coolers but also 2 GB ram.

The Palit is only 38 $ more, but with twice the amount of ram..hmm!

PS: Does your XFX's squeal, chef7734? When you run games
August 16, 2009 5:02:50 AM

ottosen said:
Wow..fast reply :D  Why would anyone be up at this hour! It's 6.50 am here :) 

But thanks for all the answers guys! I think I've changed my mind, and I'd either go for the Gainward cause of the 2 coolers, or the Palit also with 2 coolers but also 2 GB ram.

The Palit is only 38 $ more, but with twice the amount of ram..hmm!

PS: Does your XFX's squeal, chef7734? When you run games

Not with all games. Pretty much only crysis taxes it enough for coil noise that is heard above the fans.
!