6950 artifacting in Crysis 2?

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hey all,

Several weeks back I overclocked my Sapphire HD 6950 2GB and today while playing crysis 2 I noticed that I sometimes get little black patches flicker on the screen when looking at certain areas of maps and after explosions, falling shattered glass etc sometimes also shows as small black patches. Would this be artifacting from pushing the GPU too far or is it more likely to be driver issues or bugs in ther game?

Ive never seen anything like this in any other game or benchmark and I dont think the cards ever gone over 65 - 70'C (according to Sapphire Trixx) including when I've been running Furmark. I have the card clocked at 880mhz (core) and 1375mhz (memory) at 1.143V.

Let me know if you have any suggestions :)

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
increase voltages a tiny bit at a time, if that doesn't help restore to factory defaults and start over imo. If it's unstable it doesn't mean it will artifact in all games, sometimes it will only be a specific game(s)...

I got those flashing black patches in WoW overclocking my GTX580, they went away after tweaking voltages up a tad.

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
try 1.181 which should give you about 1.176 on gpu-z sensor.

see if the artifacts disappears.

The original voltage for the 6970 to work at 880/1375 is 1.175v anyways.

some graphic cards get luck to have 880/1375 operating at 1.106v.

I have mine to work @ 1.203v 1000core/1500 memory.

Would not recommend anything over 1.25v(highest i've gone w/ 80C max furmark)

also shouldn't push the memory over 1525, and core over 1025 if you intend to overclock it hard.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I had the same problem for a while, but it went away when I updated the drivers. Make sure that you're running the newest drivers. I would also use a temperature monitoring program like MSI Afterburner to see what your temps are in game. It may simply be that your gpu is getting to hot. You could easily fix that by increasing the fan speed (which you can easily do in MSI afterburner. You might even be able to do that from the Catalyst Control Panel....)

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Sorry for the late reply guys, haven't really had time to do too much testing lately.
I notice that CCC 11.8 is out now so I'll try that in a few days once our bandwidth renews and see if that helps.

As for temps, according to Sapphire Trixx and GPU-Z temps are usually in the mid 60's when playing Crysis 2 so I dont think that's the problem.

Otherwise I'll have more of a look at playing around with the voltage when I get the time :)

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
If the game artefacts it means your GPU is pickup up damage. Drop all OC's and restart the overclock. Oh, and use MSI Afterburner for overclocking, you can't really get a more user-friendly GUI to OC with.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I updated to CCC 11.8 the other day but I haven't actually had any problems with artifacting since my first post on this thread which is a bit strange, but hey I'm not complaining :)

As for OC tools I think I'm going to stick with Trixx for the moment as I can OC much higher in Trixx without changing any files and I love the custom fan control settings. Thanks for the replies everyone, will let you know if I have any more problems.