Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Marvell controller - need for Windows driver?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Controller
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 29, 2011 10:29:42 AM

I am planning to install a Vertex 3 240 GB SSD on the onboard Marvell Controller (which has two SATA3 ports) as to the main motherboard only has SATA2.

However, do I need drivers for the Marvell running inside Windows (using Win7 Enterprise) or do I only have to connect the drive and start?

When looking in Device Manager I have not found any device which looks like the Marvell controller, but I do not know if it is supposed to be there? (The SSD itself is not attached yet.)

Motherboard is Asus P7P55D-E LX.

More about : marvell controller windows driver

a c 348 V Motherboard
a c 122 G Storage
April 29, 2011 1:55:09 PM

If the Marvell SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS, the drivers are likely already loaded and all you need to do is install the SSD. Windows should locate any needed additional drivers at that point.

If the Marvell SATA controller is not enabled in the BIOS, do so and Windows should install the needed drivers.

Good luck!
m
l
a b G Storage
April 29, 2011 1:56:59 PM

For single drive installs Windows uses the default MSAHCI drivers and you can just install the Marvell drivers after the fact if you want them by running the exe.

If installing an OS to a raided volume you will need to extract the Marvell driver(read the mobo manual) to enable Windows to see the array.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 29, 2011 2:01:55 PM

PS. the Marvell storage controller will not show up in device mgr unless the driver is installed(raided or not).
m
l
April 29, 2011 3:41:05 PM

groberts101 said:
PS. the Marvell storage controller will not show up in device mgr unless the driver is installed (raided or not).

With "driver", do you here mean a software device driver or the SSD drive itself?

I will not use any RAID, just connecting the drive as a AHCI single device.
m
l
a c 241 V Motherboard
a c 143 G Storage
April 29, 2011 4:22:43 PM

You want to install the Marvell driver that came with the Motherboard CD or go to ASUS website, download the latest version and install.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P5...

Quote:
SATA drop down box:
Marvell 9123/9120 Controller Driver V1.0.0.1042 for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)
m
l
a b G Storage
April 29, 2011 5:37:17 PM

ricno said:
With "driver", do you here mean a software device driver or the SSD drive itself?

I will not use any RAID, just connecting the drive as a AHCI single device.

All I was saying is that the device mgr won't show the Marvell in the device mgr under storage controllers unless any Marvell driver is installed.

So for example, if you just install Windows to the drive then the active driver used for the SSD will not be listed in the device mgr under storage controllers and you will see the driver used for it under ide ata/atapi.

If you decide to install the Marvell driver after the install then you will no longer see the active driver used(MSAHCI) under ide ata/atapi as it would then be listed under the storage controllers(as Marvell).

Installing the Marvell driver just swaps the way device mgr shows the current driver used for the SSD, is all.
m
l
April 29, 2011 6:46:52 PM

tecmo34 said:
You want to install the Marvell driver that came with the Motherboard CD or go to ASUS website, download the latest version and install.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P5...

Quote:
SATA drop down box:
Marvell 9123/9120 Controller Driver V1.0.0.1042 for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

The installation package wants to install a Marvell console and the Marvell Magni driver. Is this correct? It seems not really right from the names..?
m
l
a c 241 V Motherboard
a c 143 G Storage
April 29, 2011 7:11:19 PM

It looks to be the right file based on the download. I would install from the CD and see what files are installed. The file on ASUS should be the most current but I have never installed a Marvell controller, so I can't say with 100% certainty, if that is accurate drivers being installed (it sounds correct to me :D  ).
m
l