GTX285 SLI - 2GB or 1GB each card?

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I know I've made some threads the past days, but there's just so many questions that pop when you're looking at new hardware!

I hear the RAM is a lot slower on the 2GB versions, and I'm not sure if a total of 4GB of RAM is needed at all?

The money difference isn't significant, so it shouldn't be a ruling factor. The total difference is 55$ for 2 cards with 2GB contra 2 cards with 1GB.

I'll be playing at 1920*1080, preferably as high details as possible, and perhaps some very heavy loaded games such as big MMO's (crowded places), or just the good ol' high detailed FPS :)

What say yee?

Thanks in advance,

Ottosen

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I know it doesn't. I simply asked whether or not that the 2GB version was slower than the 1GB version really. I mean, is the extra ram better than the sacrificed speed or not?

The price difference is irrelevant.

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Yeah you're right about that mousemonkey, kinda silly of me, but just prior to this thread I read an article/review that explained what you're pointing out, so I did know! I just forgot to use my newly acquired knowledge :D

cjl: I was looking at the Palit GeForce GTX 285 2GB ( NE3TX285FT345 ).

Right off I'd say no, as even 1G of RAM can be more than needed in some game situations, and the tighter speeds would be better IMO, however the missing element of importance here is what is the system this is going into, regarding whether you're running a 32bit or 64bit operating system and how much system memory is expected to support these 2 cards in the first place, that does make a difference, in suggestions to you.

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I'll be using 64 bit of course, and I'll either have 6GB or 12GB of ram..Probably just 6GB, but someone said something about a huge performance boost by having a lot of ram, and then disabling the page file..still trying to figure that one out.

I'm starting to get the gist of it though..2x2GB is too much seems to be the general opinion.

Morning Al, I second that!

I think your gist is correct!

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
The annoying thing is, that I have 2 GTX285 right now, from asus with this super ml cap thingy, but the coil squeal is just too much, so I'm getting two new, and the dual fan solution from either Palit or Gainward seems cool.

One thing though, would it in any way hinder or hurt my performance, by having the 2 GB version from Palit?

The Palit 2GB appears to have the same memory clock as the 1GB model (within a few percent), so it should perform at least equal to the 1GB in almost all cases. It would not perform noticeably better than the 1GB though - at that resolution, there is simply no real gain to be had from massive video memory.

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Okay, so for a more complex question, at least to me. When you're standard in a MMO, in some big city, let's say Ironforge in World of Warcraft, to mention something everybody knows, and it's taking forever to load, or the FPS drops a lot cause there's such a huge amount of people. What's the bottleneck there? Typically..

I figured it was the lack of RAM on the GFX.

ottosen

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
It's a stupid thang anyway! I think I have just about all the information I need now, my new system shall be king!

That is actually relative to your internet type, speed and the lowest PING you can possibly run, its almost impossible to help you, if you do not supply all the pertinent information to the problem, there is a lot of excellent people here at THGF, that will help you to 100% completion of solving your problem or question but we're not mind readers.

Everyone is running different systems, different ISPs, different internet connections and speeds, without all the details and specs, helping you is a shot in the dark at best.

Hi Al, all is well, would be a lot better if the economy was'nt in such bad shape, but hopefully it will get better not worse.

I hope you and your family are all in good health !!! Ry