Western digital 500gb my book hard drive broken :(

chris111179

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
When I was moving my Western digital 500gb portible hard drive i dropped it with the usb cord still pluged in it broke the adapter to plug in the harddrive into the computer clean off, but their is a series of pins on the side of the harddrive is their an adapter for it? i really need to get my documents off from it.

Yes, there is an adapter which will plug in directly to the hard drive. Here it is: http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39

The manual and instructions that come with this product are very clear. And, this product can be used for laptop drives (2.5") as well as desktop drives (3.5"). The WD external that you have is 3.5"

Plug it in and it will work exactly like an external drive (without the case of course). Retrieve your documents and then decide how best to utilize the drive (maybe as an add-on internal?)

chris111179

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
umm yes i thinks thats what im looking for but the plug in on the harddrive it self is only a 8 pin. is their any you can find that are a bit cheaper maby some on amazon, thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much for your time helping me figuring this out. im trying to get some pics, bear with me..... not technology inclined

chris111179

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
12513_hdd.jpg

EDIT!!!!! I found 2 screws on top where the old usb port was, the power button and the power inlet. Now i see all of the pins so now i see all the pins on the picture, but how can i power op the drive to plug in the adapter to get all my stuff out? becuase i had to remove the little sircut board that had all the stuff listed above.
Also can i just copy all of my files on my hardrive onto my desktop on my labtop. then tranfter them to another flash drive or do you have to have another harddrive to copy it too.

You can copy the files to any storage media of your choice. And later transfer them to any other media of your choice.