Problems with Sims 2

I got a used copy of the Sims 2 and tried installing it. I kept
getting error messages about being unable to transfer files from the
DVD and this kept happening until I followed the directions from the
EA site telling me how to change my DVD-ROM from DMA transfer mode to
PIO mode.

I got the game installed and then installed the official patch from
the EA site. Tried running the game and it kept locking up my PC
after reaching the point where the EA logo flashes on the screen &
says "challenge everything".

So I uninstalled the game & tried installing it again & got the error
message again about not being able to transfer files. I just gave up
at that point.

I'm running a Windows XP machine with all updates, a 60 GIG HD with 45
GIGS free space, 384 mb RAM, but an older video card Nvidia GeForce2
MX driver version 5.2.1.6. The latest drivers from the Nvidia site
cause my PC get the BSOD upon boot-up saying there is a hardware
parity error. My DVD drive is the original Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-116
with a driver supplies by MS dated 7/1/2001 version 5.1.2535.0. There
are no updated drivers available on Compaq's website for the DVD drive
and the video card driver they offer is older than what I'm using now.

Is there a problem with the game DVD or is it my machine? The game
DVD has no scratches & the previous owner says they were able to play
it without issue. I don't understand why I'd have problems installing
the game because my DVD-ROM should be able to play the game DVD
without issue. I understand that I might not have enough memory or a
new enough video card to play it.

Any advice?
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Strider wrote:

> It's probably not your video card. I've played it with an old Geforce
> 2 card and it works but is very slow and jerky.

So what could be causing the problems then? Any ideas? My DVD drive
doesn't have any other problems playing movie DVDs or other software I
have on DVD.

Also, any suggestions for updating to a new video card? I don't want
an expensive one, just one that will play the Sims 2 & work on an older

strider

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message

>>Is there a problem with the game DVD or is it my machine? The game
>>DVD has no scratches & the previous owner says they were able to play
>>it without issue. I don't understand why I'd have problems installing
>>the game because my DVD-ROM should be able to play the game DVD
>>without issue. I understand that I might not have enough memory or a
>>new enough video card to play it.
>

> It's probably not your video card. I've played it with an old Geforce
> 2 card and it works but is very slow and jerky.

Might be your monitor?
Some cannot handle the high resolution that the game tries to start in.
They run out of memory etc. Try changing the monitor settings to lower ones.

Skeas

Dreamspinner3 <dreamspinner3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running a Windows XP machine with all updates, a 60 GIG HD with 45
> GIGS free space, 384 mb RAM, but an older video card Nvidia GeForce2
> MX driver version 5.2.1.6. The latest drivers from the Nvidia site
> cause my PC get the BSOD upon boot-up saying there is a hardware
> parity error. My DVD drive is the original Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-116
> with a driver supplies by MS dated 7/1/2001 version 5.1.2535.0. There
> are no updated drivers available on Compaq's website for the DVD drive
> and the video card driver they offer is older than what I'm using now.
>
> Is there a problem with the game DVD or is it my machine? The game
> DVD has no scratches & the previous owner says they were able to play
> it without issue. I don't understand why I'd have problems installing
> the game because my DVD-ROM should be able to play the game DVD
> without issue. I understand that I might not have enough memory or a
> new enough video card to play it.
>
> Any advice?

My advice, it's that you have no ram enough... I have 512 M and is not
enough. The game is slow and I must choice the low parameters for
graphic. I think that my sound problems may come from there too...

--

*** Des Souris et des Pommes ***

*** Think Different ***

strider

On 27 Jun 2005 12:00:33 -0700, "dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Strider wrote:
>>
>> It's probably not your video card. I've played it with an old Geforce
>> 2 card and it works but is very slow and jerky.
>
>So what could be causing the problems then? Any ideas? My DVD drive
>doesn't have any other problems playing movie DVDs or other software I
>have on DVD.

If you have problems installing the game it's usually either the DVD
player, the DVD itself or something in windows. I tried once to
install the game on my old "test" machine and it came up with
read-errors all the time, then I took the DVD drive out and put it in
another machine and it installed without a problem. Then I took the
DVD drive, put it back in my test machine, reinstalled windows and it
installed without any trouble.

However, reinstalling windows is something to be tried only as a last
resort and I wouldn't recommend it. If your machine came up with a
parity error it seems to me that you already have a hardware problem.
It's hard to tell what your problem is without having seen your
machine, it could be anything, sorry.

>Also, any suggestions for updating to a new video card? I don't want
>an expensive one, just one that will play the Sims 2 & work on an older

Guardian Pegasus is our video card expert, I suggest you ask him.

strider

>> Is there a problem with the game DVD or is it my machine? The game
>> DVD has no scratches & the previous owner says they were able to play
>> it without issue. I don't understand why I'd have problems installing
>> the game because my DVD-ROM should be able to play the game DVD
>> without issue. I understand that I might not have enough memory or a
>> new enough video card to play it.
>>
>> Any advice?
>

>My advice, it's that you have no ram enough... I have 512 M and is not
>enough. The game is slow and I must choice the low parameters for
>graphic. I think that my sound problems may come from there too...

Yes, but these were problems with installing the game unless my
English is even worse than I thought. Even if there isn't enough
memory to play the game it should still install.

Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

> Yes, but these were problems with installing the game unless my
> English is even worse than I thought. Even if there isn't enough
> memory to play the game it should still install.

Lol
Sorry it's *my* english which is very bad I didn't understand that you
had an install problem (I read too quickly) so I rectify : I have no
advice for your problem ;-)

--

*** Des Souris et des Pommes ***

*** Think Different ***

strider

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:26:57 +0200, Viconia@alussinan.org (Michelle.)
wrote:

>Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>

>> Yes, but these were problems with installing the game unless my
>> English is even worse than I thought. Even if there isn't enough
>> memory to play the game it should still install.
>
>Lol
>Sorry it's *my* english which is very bad I didn't understand that you
>had an install problem (I read too quickly) so I rectify : I have no
>advice for your problem ;-)

Neither do I as it wasn't MY problem, it was Dreamspinner3 who had the
problem I was just replying to it:)