Stopping program from starting at bootup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program that
automatically checks for updates to Works.
How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to disable) I
unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps starting.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about stopping program starting bootup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If its not in the "Startup" folder (you can delete), then check the
    Works Options for a checkbox to turn on/off - if not there, then check
    with the gurus in the "works" newsgroups, and lastly, if all else
    fails, you can delete the key in the registry that tells it to start.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    "JA D" <pejd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
    > WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program
    that
    > automatically checks for updates to Works.
    > How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to
    disable) I
    > unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps
    starting.
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    Why not use msconfig? That is where it is stemming from and is just a GUI
    reference to your runkeys. To have it not run, uncheck it. If you want the
    listing removed after doing so, run the script below. Note: Unchecking
    entries via msconfig/startup does not have any impact on the program itself.

    Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)

    Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit

    Added info:

    wkdetect - wkdetect.exe - Process Information
    Process File: wkdetect or wkdetect.exe
    Process Name: Wkdetect
    Works updates when you are connected to the Internet.
    Company: Microsoft Corp.
    System Process: Yes

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "JA D" <pejd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
    > WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program that
    > automatically checks for updates to Works.
    > How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to disable)
    > unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps starting.
    > Thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks Kelly
    I deleted the key at
    and it stopped the update from starting
    THanks again

    > Hi,
    >
    > Why not use msconfig? That is where it is stemming from and is just a GUI
    > reference to your runkeys. To have it not run, uncheck it. If you want
    the
    > listing removed after doing so, run the script below. Note: Unchecking
    > entries via msconfig/startup does not have any impact on the program
    itself.

    > Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)
    >
    > Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > Added info:
    >
    > wkdetect - wkdetect.exe - Process Information
    > Process File: wkdetect or wkdetect.exe
    > Process Name: Wkdetect
    > Works updates when you are connected to the Internet.
    > Company: Microsoft Corp.
    > System Process: Yes
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "JA D" <pejd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
    > > WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program that
    > > automatically checks for updates to Works.
    > > How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to
    disable)
    > > unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps starting.
    > > Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Great, glad to hear it. :o)

    --

    > Thanks Kelly
    > I deleted the key at
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > and it stopped the update from starting
    > THanks again

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Why not use msconfig? That is where it is stemming from and is just a
    >> GUI
    >> reference to your runkeys. To have it not run, uncheck it. If you want
    > the
    >> listing removed after doing so, run the script below. Note: Unchecking
    >> entries via msconfig/startup does not have any impact on the program
    > itself.
    >>
    >> Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)
    >>
    >> Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> Added info:
    >>
    >> wkdetect - wkdetect.exe - Process Information
    >> Process File: wkdetect or wkdetect.exe
    >> Process Name: Wkdetect
    >> Works updates when you are connected to the Internet.
    >> Company: Microsoft Corp.
    >> System Process: Yes
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "JA D" <pejd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
    >> > WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program that
    >> > automatically checks for updates to Works.
    >> > How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to
    > disable)
    >> > unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps starting.
    >> > Thanks

Configuration Hewlett Packard Microsoft Windows XP