Stopping program from starting at bootup

a b α HP
July 18, 2004 2:12:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program that
automatically checks for updates to Works.
How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to disable) I
unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps starting.
Thanks
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 18, 2004 3:19:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If its not in the "Startup" folder (you can delete), then check the
Works Options for a checkbox to turn on/off - if not there, then check
with the gurus in the "works" newsgroups, and lastly, if all else
fails, you can delete the key in the registry that tells it to start.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
"JA D" <pejd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 0CfdUHbEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
> WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program
that
> automatically checks for updates to Works.
> How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to
disable) I
> unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps
starting.
> Thanks

July 18, 2004 5:48:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

Why not use msconfig? That is where it is stemming from and is just a GUI
reference to your runkeys. To have it not run, uncheck it. If you want the
listing removed after doing so, run the script below. Note: Unchecking
entries via msconfig/startup does not have any impact on the program itself.

Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)

Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit

Added info:

wkdetect - wkdetect.exe - Process Information
Process File: wkdetect or wkdetect.exe
Process Name: Wkdetect
Works updates when you are connected to the Internet.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: Yes

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"JA D" <pejd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 0CfdUHbEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
> WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program that
> automatically checks for updates to Works.
> How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to disable)
> unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps starting.
> Thanks

a b α HP
July 20, 2004 1:03:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Kelly
I deleted the key at
and it stopped the update from starting
THanks again

news:o q$SBNJbEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Why not use msconfig? That is where it is stemming from and is just a GUI
> reference to your runkeys. To have it not run, uncheck it. If you want
the
> listing removed after doing so, run the script below. Note: Unchecking
> entries via msconfig/startup does not have any impact on the program
itself.

> Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)
>
> Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> Added info:
>
> wkdetect - wkdetect.exe - Process Information
> Process File: wkdetect or wkdetect.exe
> Process Name: Wkdetect
> Works updates when you are connected to the Internet.
> Company: Microsoft Corp.
> System Process: Yes
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "JA D" <pejd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o 0CfdUHbEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > MS Works came installed on my hp pavillion using XP Home.
> > WKDetect.exe automatically starts at bootup (this is the program that
> > automatically checks for updates to Works.
> > How do I make this stop (preferably w/o having to us msconfig to
disable)
> > unchecked auto check for updates in the program, but it keeps starting.
> > Thanks

July 20, 2004 7:47:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Great, glad to hear it. :o )

--

!