Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I replace my XP Pro's backup after Win 2K install?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 4, 2012 6:04:36 AM

I have a ThinkPad T42 arriving this week. The installed OS is XP Pro SP3. I bought this notebook in order to have both Win 2000 Pro & XP Pro together, on a system that has drivers for both. The 40GB hard drive should be OK, if needed, there are several 60GB 7200 rpm hard drives available on Amazon/eBay.

What I plan to do is a full defrag of XP Pro, shrink the install by 10GB, backup (image) the install. Then install Win 2K Pro on a 10GB partition (the 1st one), completely update it, all the way to the unofficial SP5. After that, I'll reinstall XP Pro from the backup that I made. Will I need to work the command line to get the dual boot to work, and if so, what commands should I use?

Will I have problems with this, or will I have to reinstall XP Pro from scratch also? It was just installed fresh before purchase, with all updated drivers & IBM utilities.

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Cat

Best solution

January 4, 2012 6:19:35 PM

The main issue I see is that the current XP install is in the C partition, but when you reinstall it from a backup it will not boot because it will now be in the D partition. You would NOT believe how many places in the registry the full boot drive path is stored!

So, you will need to perform a full reinstall of XP.
January 4, 2012 7:31:50 PM

Best answer selected by catilley1092.
Score
Related resources
January 4, 2012 7:36:52 PM

Thanks, PhilFrisbie! I was concerned about that.

What I'll do is backup the install anyway, just in case I want to remove Win 2K, download all of the IBM drivers & utilities (prior to doing anything), and go from there. I know how to setup a dual boot. No big deal, just some work, mabye a day or two.

Thanks again!

Cat

Score
January 4, 2012 8:20:10 PM

catilley1092 said:
Thanks, PhilFrisbie! I was concerned about that.

What I'll do is backup the install anyway, just in case I want to remove Win 2K, download all of the IBM drivers & utilities (prior to doing anything), and go from there. I know how to setup a dual boot. No big deal, just some work, mabye a day or two.

Thanks again!

Cat

Sounds like a good plan.
Score
January 4, 2012 8:23:21 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!