Phenom II x4 955 Overclocking...

Hi guys, I'm about to overclock my phenom II 955 to 3.8Ghz or 4Ghz (hopefully) stable and I'm looking for a suitable air cooling solution. Budget is around $60 plus and the heatsink should be durable (up to 2 years, perhaps), quiet and able to keep temp under 60 celcius degree at load. I know that's a lot to ask for :D but I now have some on my mind:
1. Xigmatek Dark Knight
2. Cooler Master V8
3. Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
4. Zalman CPNS 9700 Led
...
I've been through some reviews and figured out those Megahalems, True would be the best, yet they seemed to be out of my range.
So if you have any other suggestion, I would be really appreciated. :love:
Mobo: Asus Crosshair III
Case: CM Storm Sniper
15 answers Last reply
More about phenom overclocking
  1. I like this one, but they're all great:
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    See this review:
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2419&page=5
  2. The Corsair h50 (what i have) isnt anythin special at idle ('bout 35C) but it never goes past 50C at load (1.35 Voltage, at speeds up to 3.6 ghz). Thats its main benifit, low load temps.
  3. Kindly thanks for both of your suggestions.

    1. I dont get quite familiar with the Hyper 212, so I guess I gotta do more research on it.
    2. Correct me if I'm wrong but H50 is a liquid cooling system, isn't it? and I don't really wanna touch my hand on something with liquid. :D
  4. goldbranch said:
    Kindly thanks for both of your suggestions.

    1. I dont get quite familiar with the Hyper 212, so I guess I gotta do more research on it.
    2. Correct me if I'm wrong but H50 is a liquid cooling system, isn't it? and I don't really wanna touch my hand on something with liquid. :D


    Its a self contained liquid cooler, which means no maintenance at all.
  5. yannifb said:
    Its a self contained liquid cooler, which means no maintenance at all.


    OK, got it, and one more thing, you said it keeps your CPU under 50 celcius degree at load (1.35v)
    So should it keep my rig under 60 C if I tend to push up to 1.5v - 1.55v?
  6. goldbranch said:
    OK, got it, and one more thing, you said it keeps your CPU under 50 celcius degree at load (1.35v)
    So should it keep my rig under 60 C if I tend to push up to 1.5v - 1.55v?


    Well it should keep it uner 60... But you really dont need voltages that high like everyone says you do, hell you can reach 3.4ghz stable at 1.225. You only need to go to 1.55 if you try to reach 4.0 Ghz
  7. obsidian86 said:


    The Corsair h50 does cool better than an air cooler for longer periods of time, which is also another benefit of liquid cooling. But those air coolers are also very large.
  8. well if you haven't got space the h50 is ok i guess but it would have to be a huge improvement over the best air coolers to get me to even look at it, but maybe v2 will be better,
  9. yannifb said:
    Well it should keep it uner 60... But you really dont need voltages that high like everyone says you do, hell you can reach 3.4ghz stable at 1.225. You only need to go to 1.55 if you try to reach 4.0 Ghz


    Yea, that's what I'm looking for.
    After I reach 3.8Ghz stable, I'm gonna give a try for 4Ghz. :love:
  10. By the way, I'm using CM Storm Sniper case, so I guess space for big coolers is not a problem.
    I checked the frostytech site for ranking frequently, but really not sure which cooler may keep my amd 955 3.8 stable under 60C at load.
  11. obsidian86 said:


    So you suggest Rosewill 120 and Cogage True Spirit.
    I heard about the True Spirit. However, since it's kind of new, I've not read many feedbacks from it.
    Rosewill 120, gotta do more research :(
  12. I've read somewhere that a cooler master v8 with a different fan modded would keep amd 955 4.0GHz around 56-58C at load using Prime95.
    Is that true?:)
  13. This is the result I had, posted it here on tom's
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=29&post=257724&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

    In a nutshell, my H50 is kicking my air cooler's ass, 23C idle and 40.5C under Prime Blended. It's a Q8200 2.33 OCed to 3.02. H50 is my new recommendtion to all my friends...
  14. I have my 955BE @4Ghz and completely stable with my H50 in push pull config. 1.488V. Max temp around 52c (maxed out) on a warm day (about 28-31c ambient) and about 8-10c above room temp when idle.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Phenom Product