Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please Explain P55/H55/H57

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2010 11:08:00 PM

If all the new intel i3 and i5 CPU will work in an P55 motherboard, why do we now have the H55 and H57 motherboards? Under what conditions would I maybe choose one of them over a P55?

More about : explain p55 h55 h57

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2010 11:30:00 PM

H55 and H57 have onboard, integrated graphics. So they are ideal for people who do not need a discrete GPU. Also, they cannot run SLI/CF in x8,x8 mode as the P55 can.

Some additional information- There will be a Q57. The H and Q-series of chipsets feature what Intel calls its Flexible Display Interface (FDI). This is basically a link between the CPU and the chipset that passes along video output. H5x/Q57 motherboards will have a video out on board so you can use Clarkdale’s integrated graphics.

Support for Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology is probably the main reason you’ll want H57 over H55. The difference between H57 and Q57 boils down to security and management features. The H-series is for consumers, the Q-series is for corporate customers.

Check this out for more details: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=370...
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2010 8:14:07 PM

Best answer selected by dndhatcher.
Related resources
January 21, 2010 2:06:40 PM

Actually, you can run SLI/Crossfire at x8 mode with H55 and H57 motherboards (1x PCIe at x16 or 2x PCIe at x8, x8) since their specifications are not very different from P55. The only difference is that H55 and H57 have outputs for VGA, DVI and HDMI and support for Intel's IGP with Core i3 CPUs. It means that you can run graphics without having to buy video card since you would have 32nm Integrated Graphics Core on Core i3 CPU.
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2010 8:04:40 PM

Everything I'd read said you couldn't CF/SLI with the new chipsets. So I went out and looked at New Egg. There is currently one H57 board that is certified for SLI and "CrossFireX": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So I went digging again. Most articles just said it couldnt' be done. Then I found this: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,702559/Intel-H55-H57...

They explain that the 16 lanes running into the CPU cannot be split. So you cannot have 1x16 or 2x8. From the processor's lanes. However, the PCH has its own set of lanes. The H55 only has 6, so it could not do x8,x8. But it is possible for the H57 and Q57 to run x8,x8. It's just that one of the x8 would be running directly to the process, the other x8 would be running through the PCH.

In addition to having to run through the PCH, those lanes suffer from a lowered bandwidth. Yes Intel has spec'd them as PCIe v2.0 lanes. But it only allows them to run at 2.5 GT/s. This is half the normal 5.0. It will be interesting to see a performance comparison as to how well or poorly that functions. Block diagram: http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/323192.pdf

Why get a chip and motherboard with integrated graphics if you're not going to use it?I'm sure the rule of thumb for the 1156 socket will continue to be: H5x, great if you want integrated graphics. More than likely P55 otherwise. P55 almost certainly for CF/SLI.
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2010 1:19:55 AM

That ASUS board just didn't seem right so I did a little more checking. It doesn't use H57 for CF/SLI, so the theory about running SLI/CF through the chipset still hasn't been introduced on any board.

It turns out that ASUS board doesn't allow SLI/CF for all chips. It only allows it for the Lynnfield chips. So if you have this board and an i5 750, i7 860, i7 870, then you can use SLI/CF. But if you get one of the new Clarkdale chips - i3's or i5 6xx's - which the H57 chipset is really intended for, then you can not CF/SLI with this board.

The remaining question is why someone would buy an i5 750, or an i7 860 / 870, and then spend $200 on an H57 motherboard.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=CadI5xNLwMYopFyJ&...
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2010 4:11:40 PM

Thanks for the followup. Its kind of a hybrid H57/P55 board.

The one thing I could see happening is someone starting with a cheap Clarksdale and single GPU then later upgrading to a linfield and crossfire. Unfortunately right now Clarksdale isnt cheap enough to make that very practical.
January 23, 2010 1:10:03 PM

Despite what the articles said but the Technical Specs tells different thing like: 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode) and Crossfire and SLI supported for ASUS P7H57D-V EVO motherboard.

Here are some of P7H57D-V EVO's technical specifications:

Expansion Slots:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1 (5GT/s, blue slot)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s, gray slots)
2 x PCI
*Dual x8 mode is only supported by Intel non-Integrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors. For more detail please visit

Multi-GPU Support:

Supports ATI® Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
*SLI™ and CrossFireX™ mode are available only for Intel non-iIntegrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors.

Actually, H57 is slightly cheaper than P55 motherboard (based on UK's scan.co.uk website). This might explain why some people want to buy H57 over P55 and use it with Core i7 860. H57 is designed for Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 so it isn't a problem if you wanted to use Core i5 750 or Core i7 860/870 with H57 motherboard since it support LGA 1156 socket and its specs isn't very different from P55 motherboard's technical specs.

From scan.co.uk website:

P7P55D-E EVO = £159.27

P7H57D-V EVO = £149.87
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2010 1:25:50 PM

Perhaps you missed my most recent post. The one after I linked to the article. That motherboard does not allow for SLI/CF for any CPU. If you get one of the new Clarkdale chips you can NOT use this board in SLI / CF. The information you copied and pasted says the same thing. You have to have a Lynnfield chip - i.e. the i5 750, i7 860 or i7 870: "*Dual x8 mode is only supported by Intel non-Integrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors." This H57 chipset motherboard may be cheaper by 10 quid than one P55 board, but it is more expensive than most P55 boards.
January 23, 2010 1:29:14 PM

ekoostik said:
Perhaps you missed my most recent post. The one after I linked to the article. That motherboard does not allow for SLI/CF for any CPU. If you get one of the new Clarkdale chips you can NOT use this board in SLI / CF. The information you copied and pasted says the same thing. You have to have a Lynnfield chip - i.e. the i5 750, i7 860 or i7 870: "*Dual x8 mode is only supported by Intel non-Integrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors." This $200 H57 chipset motherboard is more expensive than most P55 boards.

Infact, I did not read your articles and I almost did not read your posts either but I read the technical specs of P7H57D-V EVO. I don't mind how other people thinks but I was saying what I suppose to say based on technical specs just like what technicians normally do.

Like I said earlier and I think you missed my point, in technical perspective, it does not make sense to say H57 does not support Crossfire/SLI at x8 mode since its technical specs said that it actually support Crossfire/SLI at x8 mode. If you don't want me to say these technical specs of H57 correctly then what exactly do you want me to say?

It is pretty obvious isn't it? You definitely need video cards and a non IGP CPUs in order to use Crossfire/SLI at x8 mode because Integrated Graphics of Core i3 CPUs will not work with video cards and the specs also said that H57 does not support Hybrid Crossfire or Hybrid SLI.

H57 motherboard is also a Lynnfield motherboard because it support the same Lynnfield LGA 1156 socket that P55 does. H57 supports all Lynnfield CPUs included Clarkdale CPUs with IGP support. Look at the tecnical specs of H57 and you would understand why I said this....

Talking about price comparison, the scan.co.uk tells another story like P7H57D-V EVO is actually slightly cheaper than P7P55D-E EVO which is a fact.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2010 2:00:03 PM

I'm not trying to argue with you. In fact, you and I agree that:
The P7H57D-V EVO is cheaper than P7P55D-E EVO.
It is possible for the P7H57D-V EVO to run CF / SLI.

All I am trying to point out is that the P7H57D-V EVO cannot run CF/SLI for any CPU that you put into it. And I am not getting this information from the article. I am getting the information from the technical spec which you posted. Quoting from the spec you posted:
Quote:
*Dual x8 mode is only supported by Intel non-Integrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors.
*SLI™ and CrossFireX™ mode are available only for Intel non-iIntegrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors.

This means that it can run CF/SLI. But only with the processors that have non-integrated graphics - the Clarkdale chips (i3's and i5 6xx's) have integrated graphics and therefore, as the spec states, they cannot run SLI and CrossFireX mode.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm agreeing with a number of things you said. I'm just pointing out another detail in what the specs say. I don't want to keep going back and forth about this so unless there's a question I'm not going to post again about this board.
January 23, 2010 2:03:34 PM

ekoostik said:
Quoting from the spec you posted:
Quote:
*Dual x8 mode is only supported by Intel non-Integrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors.

This means that it can run CF/SLI. But only with the processors that have non-integrated graphics - the Clarkdale chips (i3's and i5 6xx's) have integrated graphics and therefore, as the spec states, they cannot run SLI and CrossFireX mode.

Again, (it is too obvious and redundant to say that :heink: ) of course, you definitely need video cards and a non IGP CPUs in order to use Crossfire/SLI at x8 mode because Integrated Graphics of Core i3 CPUs will not work with video card(s) and the specs also said that H57 does not support Hybrid Crossfire or Hybrid SLI.

I am not argueing either. :heink:  What you said is too obvious and it is too redundant to say that since most of us already know that GPUs won't work with Core i3's IGP on H57 motherboard (which could cause conflict) so crossfire/sli or using single video card would not work when IGP is enable or when you are using Core i3 CPU. Like I said earlier, H57 + Core i3 CPUs with IGP is good for those who does not want to use video card or doing crossfire/sli so they don't have to spend more money to buy video card(s).

Anyway, I disagree with your early post that you stated that H57 does not support Crossfire/SLI. The specs said that they do if you are planning to use video cards and not IGP.
Well, there might be very few dumb people who would buy video card(s) and an IGP Core i3 CPU + H57. Who would be so dumb to use both IGP and video card when hybrid crossfire/hybrid sli are not supported and buying products without reading its specs first? :heink: 

You cannot definitely run crossfire/sli when there is no video card(s) present or when you have blank PCIe slots and an IGP turned on. :ouch:  So what exactly are you trying to prove? Proving that we cannot crossfire/sli with H57 when the PCIe slots are actually blank and the IGP was turned on? Come on! :D 
January 25, 2010 10:44:02 PM

ekoostik said:
H55 and H57 have onboard, integrated graphics. So they are ideal for people who do not need a discrete GPU. Also, they cannot run SLI/CF in x8,x8 mode as the P55 can.

Definitely the H5x series motherboard don't have onboard integrated graphics, as it is integrated into the CPU now. It only have those video output for you to connect : ;) 
January 26, 2010 8:34:41 AM

j0079 said:
Definitely the H5x series motherboard don't have onboard integrated graphics, as it is integrated into the CPU now. It only have those video output for you to connect : ;) 

BINGO! :D 
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2010 6:46:56 PM

SerMac said:
So, you're telling me Intel is lying about its h55 chipset?
read below:
http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=41728

The way I understand it an integrated GPU is not part of the core chipset. The chipset is just noted as capable of handling an integrated GPU or not.
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2010 7:02:41 PM

Right. SerMac, as you pointed out the Intel spec says that the chipset has integrated graphics. And this is how I phrased my earlier answer. I probably should have said it allows for the use of integrated graphics. The i3 and i5 6xx chips contain the GPU. But the two go hand in hand. You can't use the i3 and i5 6xx GPU without an H55/H57/Q57 chipset, and you can't use the graphics enabled by the H55/H57/Q57 without an i3 or i5 6xx CPU.

The H and Q-series of chipsets feature what Intel calls its Flexible Display Interface (FDI). This is basically a link between the CPU and the chipset that passes along video output. H5x/Q57 motherboards will have a video out on board so you can use Clarkdale’s integrated graphics.
February 6, 2010 12:53:20 AM

ekoostik said:
Right. SerMac, as you pointed out the Intel spec says that the chipset has integrated graphics. And this is how I phrased my earlier answer. I probably should have said it allows for the use of integrated graphics. The i3 and i5 6xx chips contain the GPU. But the two go hand in hand. You can't use the i3 and i5 6xx GPU without an H55/H57/Q57 chipset, and you can't use the graphics enabled by the H55/H57/Q57 without an i3 or i5 6xx CPU.

The H and Q-series of chipsets feature what Intel calls its Flexible Display Interface (FDI). This is basically a link between the CPU and the chipset that passes along video output. H5x/Q57 motherboards will have a video out on board so you can use Clarkdale’s integrated graphics.

Ok, now I get it: these Clarkdale CPUs have what they call the GMA HD GPU, dependent on the use with the H5x/Q57 chipset. Thank you guys, specially ekoostik, for your clear explanation.
Unfortunately, all this computer stuff is so expensive where I live, that we have to plan buying something that will last for several years, so I decided to buy the DH55TC and the I3 540, planning on upgrading it to the i7, as soon as the prices allow me to. Now I know I'll have to buy a video card too (by that time, perhaps I'll have free time to enjoy some gaming too, and it'll be worth it).
Thanks a lot
April 10, 2010 1:29:49 AM

Techno-boy said:
Again, (it is too obvious and redundant to say that :heink: ) of course, you definitely need video cards and a non IGP CPUs in order to use Crossfire/SLI at x8 mode because Integrated Graphics of Core i3 CPUs will not work with video card(s) and the specs also said that H57 does not support Hybrid Crossfire or Hybrid SLI.

I am not argueing either. :heink:  What you said is too obvious and it is too redundant to say that since most of us already know that GPUs won't work with Core i3's IGP on H57 motherboard (which could cause conflict) so crossfire/sli or using single video card would not work when IGP is enable or when you are using Core i3 CPU. Like I said earlier, H57 + Core i3 CPUs with IGP is good for those who does not want to use video card or doing crossfire/sli so they don't have to spend more money to buy video card(s).

Anyway, I disagree with your early post that you stated that H57 does not support Crossfire/SLI. The specs said that they do if you are planning to use video cards and not IGP.
Well, there might be very few dumb people who would buy video card(s) and an IGP Core i3 CPU + H57. Who would be so dumb to use both IGP and video card when hybrid crossfire/hybrid sli are not supported and buying products without reading its specs first? :heink: 

You cannot definitely run crossfire/sli when there is no video card(s) present or when you have blank PCIe slots and an IGP turned on. :ouch:  So what exactly are you trying to prove? Proving that we cannot crossfire/sli with H57 when the PCIe slots are actually blank and the IGP was turned on? Come on! :D 

Just for the record I didn't know about the Clarkdale/Linfield differences before I found this thread.

When posting remember that "everyone" doesn't know "everything." If we did then we would not need to come to these forums.

This is intended for all posters, not just Techno-boy. I just picked his comment to attach this too.
April 17, 2010 2:21:16 PM

BlueCat57 said:
Just for the record I didn't know about the Clarkdale/Linfield differences before I found this thread.

When posting remember that "everyone" doesn't know "everything." If we did then we would need to come to these forums.

This is intended for all posters, not just Techno-boy. I just picked his comment to attach this too.

You talk as if you are my grandfather, lol! Pay attention to what I posted. It looks like you haven't even read it. My last post isn't even stating about the Clarkdale and Lynnfield differences and when did my last post state that I believe everyone knows everything in this world? Please prove that. You are twisting my post in such a negative way. Stop it. :o 

Looks like you don't even know what you were saying. You are darn wrong. It is actually the opposite of what you stated. If we knew everything then we would NOT even need to come to these forums or read the products' specs before buying them. We would have been like God or something. Your wrong opinion could also be for a record, my dear friend. :ouch: 

What I meant was that people only need to simply read the specs of the products before they buy them or else they would risk to get something that does not even work and spending too much than they really should especially when it comes to these electronic products which could be very expensive but yeah, I do admit that there are also very few stupid people or newbies who would buy wrong products simply because they did not read the specs and had to rely too much with hardware forum instead of reading specs from websites like newegg or from the products' websites. ;) 

It is hard for me to even believe that there could be idiots buying an Intel 6-core CPU and try to plug it into a Core i3 motherboard as an example and spending so much money on it. Anyway, these idiots could really exist in this world so you are also right but don't twist my post like that. :o 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 2:58:19 PM

Techno-boy said:
You talk as if you are my grandfather, lol! Pay attention to what I posted. It looks like you haven't even read it. My last post isn't even stating about the Clarkdale and Lynnfield differences and when did my last post state that I believe everyone knows everything in this world? Please prove that. You are twisting my post in such a negative way. Stop it. :o 

Looks like you don't even know what you were saying. You are darn wrong. It is actually the opposite of what you stated. If we knew everything then we would NOT even need to come to these forums or read the products' specs before buying them. We would have been like God or something. Your wrong opinion could also be for a record, my dear friend. :ouch: 

:o 

You cant be serious right? You know why there is no response? It is simply because people are rolling their eyes. In saying it is redundant to state facts that are otherwise unknown to others is to assume that everyone is omniscient.

If we were all as technologically adept as you are than we wouldn't need to come here to ask and learn.

July 20, 2010 10:44:05 PM

i have a very limited (almost non-existant) knowledge of this but.... if i understand, would i be correct in saying that i7 860 cpu used with the h57 MB would allow 2 xfx hd5850's to run in crossfire?
July 27, 2010 10:29:23 PM

If i use the P7H57D-V EVO motherboard from ASUS, with a Clarkdale CPU like i5 650. I'll able to have "on board" graphics.

My question is, i basicly have these spec, board and CPU. If later a wanna to put an discrete graphic card, i can? (simply on, no dual cards, nothing like that). But not with de dual connection, in the moment who i have de Clarkdale CPU on the board and not a Lynnfield.
July 28, 2010 12:13:46 AM

Check out the most recent Tom's "Best Graphics Cards" article. At the end of the article there is a table that ranks graphics cards and on board graphics.

I don't recall if the onboard CPU graphics are listed. If they are not then try to find an article about your particular CPU that compares the onboard graphics with either a motherboard graphics chip or a discrete card. In general the best motherboard graphics chip is three levels below a reasonably priced discrete graphics card.

If you are looking for an entry level discrete graphics card that will get you up to gaming level I think you should be able to do that for around $100. I suggest deciding on two or three models that are available in your country and then wait for a sale on one of them.
October 5, 2010 11:57:16 PM

Hi there!

Im planning of building an i7 870, h57/p55 + 4/8 gb ram + some gpu... firstly for pro.photo.editing + 3d.rendering + some gaming (hl2, crysis, call of juarez, etc..), all in all, a nice setup that will handle my needs the next 3-5 years.

The question is, Im trying to figure how to make this build, saving as much money without loosing as much performance.

I've read about the P7P55D-E Premium, a nice motherboard but is the most expensive in my country (norway)... getting a price of 2347 nok. (norwegian crowns) <-- use xe.com to check usd/gbp. but is something like 400 USD!, while the P7H57D-V EVO is 1260 nok. that converts about.. 215 USD!

So Im having a save of almost 50% choosing between them!.. and thats a lot, when I read that the cheaper one, would do the same (practically) as the more expensive one!

ps. I'll be getting the i7 870 over the 860 because the difference is only 13-14 US dollar!! (about 8 british pounds?)... the i7 870 costs here in norway almost 400 USD. (2311 nok)

ps2. Im also dedicating a HD to installing OSX, for testing purposes only! :p  <-- no BS!.. I really like Win7 64bit, and it works with the software I need. But some times I have to write a tutorial or someone sends me a file that just runs on a specific osX software, so would be nice to have. If anyone knows of compatibility issues with this hardware, please let me know!

Thanks all!
-B-
October 6, 2010 12:20:52 AM

Hi Ben,

You may want to start a new thread for this in a different forum. I think there is a new build forum. The reason is that this thread is marked as "Solved" so it won't get as many views as a new thread. I see you are a newcomer so you'll need to figure out how to start a thread. There is a pretty good tutorial on designing systems in the new build forum and everyone will be very helpful. Do European vendors do "Black Friday" type sales? These are sales with deep discounts to kick off the Christmas buying season. These are around Thanksgiving in the US. Newegg has some really great deals then. Good luck.
October 6, 2010 7:25:22 PM

thanks to all for your replies!.. you are right, I may start a new thread.

Black Friday?... heh, no. Here are sales every now and then, but never good enough. Norway is the most expensive country in Europe (or World?), and not beeing in the CEE (EEC? = Economic European Comunity), makes buying in other countries a pain in the ass (and wallet). we must almost double or triple the price on import! :( 

I falled in love with the Chevy Camaro SS 2010 model, that is under 30k USD in the states.. if I wanted this in Norway they charged me over 90k USD!! :(  I ended up with an used Alfa Romeo 156 2001mod. pretty nice one though!... (paid 9k USD with not so bad mileage) :p 

May 13, 2011 12:17:37 PM

ekoostik said:

Some additional information- There will be a Q57. The H and Q-series of chipsets feature what Intel calls its Flexible Display Interface (FDI). This is basically a link between the CPU and the chipset that passes along video output. H5x/Q57 motherboards will have a video out on board so you can use Clarkdale’s integrated graphics.

Support for Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology is probably the main reason you’ll want H57 over H55. The difference between H57 and Q57 boils down to security and management features. The H-series is for consumers, the Q-series is for corporate customers.

Check this out for more details: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=370...

cheers :) 
January 30, 2012 11:22:54 PM

Hi all,

Justa question inside this great discussion:

So if I had a P7P55-M with i3 550 I couldn't have a SLI due to my CPU or it's possible?

Thanks in advance!
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 30, 2012 11:42:35 PM

Hi there Old Pilot,

Open a new question thread on your problem, that is the best way to get helped : )
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 30, 2012 11:42:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!