Problem with computer freeze

spavek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
I recently came into the problem of my computer freezing up. I can be on the computer for about 10-15 minutes before all the programs won't respond. I can still move the mouse around just fine but the hard drive sounds like its trying to access something but can't/won't. After a couple minutes of it doing this the screen will go black and i'm left with nothing but a white cursor that I can still move around.

This didnt happen until I installed the RTM of Windows 7. Beforehand I already had the RC 7201 version installed and it worked just fine. I tried reinstalling the 7201 version but it is still doing this.

Any ideas on what it might be?

System build:

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte P35DS3L
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB
4GB G. Skill DDR2
Nvidia 8800gts

Are you doing anything in safe mode? What programs cause the lockup? ANy programs?

Could possibly be a hard drive issue, but I have a hunch it could be overheating or possibly a driver issue.
Which geforce driver are you using? Maybe your card doesn't like the latest? You might want to roll back to a previous driver. Safe mode doesn't load all the drivers so that's why I suspect it could be a culprit.

spavek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
It doesnt matter what program I am using. Firefox, VLC, IE. It just starts to freeze up. In safe mode all I am doing is browsing currently to figure out what the problem is. But I guess I can try the drivers. They are currently whatever is installed by the OS.

I haven't had any problems with the hard drive. I have a monitor on my temps and they are all fine.