Which catalyst to download for xp 64 bit

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
i am trying to find which version of catalyst is better for windows xp 64bit edition?
Thanks!!

I have a sus hd4870x2 graphic card with tripple fans.

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Nope, don't use those. Use the 9.8 drivers on AMD's blog, apparently up to 50% increase in certain games with your X2.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/08/14/what%E2%80%99s-a-good-title-for-a-quakecon-blog/

Supposedly they'll be available from the site mactronix posted tomorrow, but you can get them early.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

I never owned an ATI before, I just did a clean xp install right now i will install first

NT framework, direct x9 and java. then the ati driver and catalyst,

but is it better to install the driver and catalyst off AMD website even my card is made by Asus?

I have had various cards from differant people, Powercolor/Sapphire/His etc. I have always used the ATI site for my drivers. the ones linked to are legit, they were "leaked" at a convention by a senior AMD guy, however i havent used them myself yet.
Make sure your Windows install is up to date first if your .net framework isnt up to date the drivers wont install.

Mactronix

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

thanks v much, what is the latest net framework availble today for xp64bit i have downloaded 2.0 but is there a newyer one? do you also mean windows installer needed to update it..

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Do you use any of ASUS's utility programs, like their SmartDoctor or GamerOSD? These applications are generally incompatible with the latest drivers from AMD. If you use those tools (SmartDoctor has very good fan speed regulation), you'll need to download the compatible version of all utilities and the corresponding Catalyst drivers from ASUS.

If you just need drivers and don't care about the other software ASUS has, get the latest from AMD.