Choiceof NAS forhome network

bobbyinpa

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I have two computers, a desktop and a tablet that I connect using the wireless network. I am looking for the best way to maintain my video library and all my photo and of course tax and revenue files. I am looking at two devices, NetGear ReadyNAS ultra 6 and the Synolgy DS1511+. Both offer continuous backup and make my files available in a number of ways. I would like opinions on either choice or if you feel there is a choice I am missing please do pipe in. I want reliability and safety mostly with some ease of use thrown in. Learing is not a chore for me. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have had only good experience with Synology, so I could recommend that one. I personally use a DS 207, in RAID 1. not hot-swappable, which to me does not matter, but built as a tank. Also the 209 is good, have it in another location. Keep in mind the differences between RAID types, make sure data is recoverable after a worst-case scenario. I use RAID 1 after getting burned with a RAID 5 setup in a QNAP enclosure, the network controller on the enclosure itself died on me and the data became inaccessible. Also, keep in mind that the size of HDD should not be too large, they will likely fail before they get filled with data. That's according to your library size and setup, of course.

FireWire2

Distinguished

How big of space do you need?

For under 4TB you can use this $99.00 NAS:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266120-32-best-solution-less