I just swapped a Pentium D 945 processor (dual core) into my MS7222v3.1 MB with v5.5 Bios update.
I had written an Excel loop to see how much faster the dual core might be, and to my surprise, what the Celeron did in 26.2 minutes, it took the Pentium D 46.3 mnutes to accomplish. Is it just me, or does that seem counter intuititive?
The benchmark for the Celeron was after upgrading the Bios, and the only thing changed was the processor. I also ran some benchmarks on the processor, and it's coming in about equivialent to a Pentium 4 - 1.7Ghz. (Roughly ½ the clock speed of the chip.)
Any ideas what can be done to rectify this apparent problem, or is this chip just a dog?
I think it's correct. I've put a PDF of the cpu-z screens at http://www.RGPilling.ca/cpudata.pdf if you want to take a look at it. (The MB actually has 2Gb of RAM, but I didn't see any sense in duplicating that screen.)
The actual chips of RAM that I have in the MB are 1x1Gb and 1x2Gb. Unfortunately, the MB will only handle 1Gb per slot, thus the 2nd one is used as a 1Gb for all intents & purposes. The chips are both PC2-5300. I haven't set anything specifically for the RAM speed, that's just what comes up. (It's all the same as when I was running the Celeron processor, except that it all runs slower now.)
Two things that I would consider aside from those already mentioned:
1. If You just swapped CPU from single core to dual core, You are probably still using uniprocessor HAL instead of multiprocessor which makes You only use on core of Pentium D while other is doing nothing. This would explain why You do not get any improvement but not why Your performance is cut in half. Check task manager if it shows two graphs for CPU or only just one. Also there is a way to change HAL from uniprocessor to multiprocessor without reinstall I would recommend to reinstall Windows when changing from single core to multiple.
2. Pentim D probably needs more power and either PSU or motherboard cannot provide enough juice for it so it is working with errors which are selfdetectable and not critical so it keeps looping doing the same thing until it does it without error.
Thanks for all the advice. You have the 2 chips bang on (from what I remember). Actually, I've had the chip in and out so many times, it's likely spinning from the turnarounds. Each time, I've cleaned the chip & the heatsink with alcohol, and then reapplied the cement. The pattern from the cement comes out even each time before removal, so I think I'm getting it right.
I'll give it one more try, and then I think I'll go back to the Celeron if it doesn't improve. I'm a Chartered Accountant, and with the amount of time I've spent on this "quick fix", I could have earned enough money to buy 3 or 4 new units. Dang I hate my curiosity!!!