Operating System Question

Hey guys, I am in the process of making a gaming computer. And was wondering what you guys think about an OS. Currently I have Windows XP 32 bit, but I would eventually like to upgrade to Windows 7. I see on newegg that I can get windwos vista 64 bit with a free upgrade to Windows 7 ($110) and I was kind of confused with the offer. I am sure windows 7 will come out for ~$200 at least, why are they offering such a good deal? Is there something I am missing?

O btw, important system specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 955
GPU: ATI 4890
4 gigs of ddr3 ram
5 answers Last reply
More about operating system question
  1. It's part of Microsoft's campaign to push 7. Basically anyone who buys a copy of Vista from now until the launch of 7 will get a free upgrade to Windows 7.
  2. They want consumers to continue to buy PCs until the official release of Windows 7. If they didn't offer the free upgrade, a large chunk of people would hold off their purchase until Oct.
  3. part of the price difference is retail vs OEM copies too .

the licenses are different , even if the OS is identical
  4. So for someone like me who has XP Pro 32 bit, the best path for gaming with 4GB of memory is buy Vista 64 bit w/ free Windows 7 upgrade? I've read so many conflicting opinions about which OS is best for gaming - XP 64, Vista 64, WIndows 7 - my head is spinning.
  5. I use Vista 64 Home Premium for gaming. Works well but I've never benchmarked it against anything else. A couple of things to keep in mind:
    - Upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 will be an incremental upgrade while XP to Windows 7 is reported to be a full re-install.
    - There is a family pack of 3 licenses for Windows 7 coming out in Oct which is attractive if you have more than one PC. The price will be around $150. You can download Windows 7 in the interim (until Aug 20).
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Windows 7 Systems