The missing icon thing...

Help! My computer refuses point blank to extract any zips (or as winrar)
from the uni CD .. OR any backedup CD Zip Sim packages.

Pathways as: extracting Objects file to: University\ TSData\Res\Objects...
as usual.

Zips saved for other programs (XenoDream, Bryce files etc) perfectly normal.
What is going on?

Granny - miffed
4 answers Last reply
More about missing icon thing

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:09:29 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
    <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Help! My computer refuses point blank to extract any zips (or as winrar)
    >from the uni CD .. OR any backedup CD Zip Sim packages.
    >
    >Pathways as: extracting Objects file to: University\ TSData\Res\Objects...
    >as usual.
    >
    >Zips saved for other programs (XenoDream, Bryce files etc) perfectly normal.
    >What is going on?

    Dunno for sure... tried copying them to your harddrive first?

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:09:29 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
    > <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Help! My computer refuses point blank to extract any zips (or as winrar)
    >>from the uni CD .. OR any backedup CD Zip Sim packages.
    >>
    >>Pathways as: extracting Objects file to: University\ TSData\Res\Objects...
    >>as usual.
    >>
    >>Zips saved for other programs (XenoDream, Bryce files etc) perfectly
    >>normal.
    >>What is going on?
    >
    > Dunno for sure... tried copying them to your harddrive first?

    Actually, I solved the problem by using the Window-squash programme and
    doing just what you said. drag/drop.

    But this doesn;t explain why both winzip and winrar should both tell me
    'there is nothing in the file' when I try to extract to the correct folder.
    Only Sim files. Both mine, and their originals, if on a CD.
    I must be missing a trick somewhere...

    GG.

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:14:40 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
    <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >But this doesn;t explain why both winzip and winrar should both tell me
    >'there is nothing in the file' when I try to extract to the correct folder.
    >Only Sim files. Both mine, and their originals, if on a CD.
    >I must be missing a trick somewhere...

    My guess would be something to do with your Windows settings or system
    memory. It takes a good deal of memory to load such a large archive
    into memory in order to extract it, which I believe it does in the
    case of the CD. Thus my suggestion to move it to the drive :-)

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:14:40 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
    > <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>But this doesn;t explain why both winzip and winrar should both tell me
    >>'there is nothing in the file' when I try to extract to the correct
    >>folder.
    >>Only Sim files. Both mine, and their originals, if on a CD.
    >>I must be missing a trick somewhere...
    >
    > My guess would be something to do with your Windows settings or system
    > memory. It takes a good deal of memory to load such a large archive
    > into memory in order to extract it, which I believe it does in the
    > case of the CD. Thus my suggestion to move it to the drive :-)

    Yes, I understand what you mean. But - it is working now BTW, as I .. oh..
    backtracked... reversed.. You know... restored!!! to last friday. Everything
    okay.
    Strange though. Why both zip programs should object to just Sim zipz and
    nothing else and only from a CD. Most peculiar. I don;t have the energy to
    try and track down the reason just now. 8((

    Today looks set to be hot. 8(((
    For the UK, that is.
    Granny.

Computers CD-Rom Video Games