The missing icon thing...

Last response: in Video Games
June 27, 2005 4:09:29 PM

Help! My computer refuses point blank to extract any zips (or as winrar)
from the uni CD .. OR any backedup CD Zip Sim packages.

Pathways as: extracting Objects file to: University\ TSData\Res\Objects...
as usual.

Zips saved for other programs (XenoDream, Bryce files etc) perfectly normal.
What is going on?

Granny - miffed

More about : missing icon thing

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:11:48 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:09:29 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
<marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Help! My computer refuses point blank to extract any zips (or as winrar)
>from the uni CD .. OR any backedup CD Zip Sim packages.
>
>Pathways as: extracting Objects file to: University\ TSData\Res\Objects...
>as usual.
>
>Zips saved for other programs (XenoDream, Bryce files etc) perfectly normal.
>What is going on?

Dunno for sure... tried copying them to your harddrive first?
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:14:40 PM

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:09:29 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
> <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Help! My computer refuses point blank to extract any zips (or as winrar)
>>from the uni CD .. OR any backedup CD Zip Sim packages.
>>
>>Pathways as: extracting Objects file to: University\ TSData\Res\Objects...
>>as usual.
>>
>>Zips saved for other programs (XenoDream, Bryce files etc) perfectly
>>normal.
>>What is going on?
>
> Dunno for sure... tried copying them to your harddrive first?

Actually, I solved the problem by using the Window-squash programme and
doing just what you said. drag/drop.

But this doesn;t explain why both winzip and winrar should both tell me
'there is nothing in the file' when I try to extract to the correct folder.
Only Sim files. Both mine, and their originals, if on a CD.
I must be missing a trick somewhere...

GG.
June 28, 2005 8:18:43 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:14:40 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
<marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>But this doesn;t explain why both winzip and winrar should both tell me
>'there is nothing in the file' when I try to extract to the correct folder.
>Only Sim files. Both mine, and their originals, if on a CD.
>I must be missing a trick somewhere...

My guess would be something to do with your Windows settings or system
memory. It takes a good deal of memory to load such a large archive
into memory in order to extract it, which I believe it does in the
case of the CD. Thus my suggestion to move it to the drive :-)
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:56:15 AM

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:14:40 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
> <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>But this doesn;t explain why both winzip and winrar should both tell me
>>'there is nothing in the file' when I try to extract to the correct
>>folder.
>>Only Sim files. Both mine, and their originals, if on a CD.
>>I must be missing a trick somewhere...
>
> My guess would be something to do with your Windows settings or system
> memory. It takes a good deal of memory to load such a large archive
> into memory in order to extract it, which I believe it does in the
> case of the CD. Thus my suggestion to move it to the drive :-)

Yes, I understand what you mean. But - it is working now BTW, as I .. oh..
backtracked... reversed.. You know... restored!!! to last friday. Everything
okay.
Strange though. Why both zip programs should object to just Sim zipz and
nothing else and only from a CD. Most peculiar. I don;t have the energy to
try and track down the reason just now. 8((

Today looks set to be hot. 8(((
For the UK, that is.
Granny.
!