Advise on new laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 2, 2004 2:25:26 AM

I am currently in the process of deciding which laptop to buy to replace my
desktop. The main features I am looking for are:
Good graphics (see previous post)
Mobile CPU > 2.6GHz
At least 512MB RAM
Good quality screen
CDRW
At least 3 USB2 ports

Not too fussed about battery life as it will be used near a wall socket and
not bothered about wireless lan as I have cables in place and can always buy
the adapters if needed.

Budget of around £1500 (US$2659) but could stretch to £1700 ($3014) if it
would be worth the extra money as I am wanting something to last for at
least 2 and a half years. What brands should I be looking at as far as build
quality/support/product life is concerned?

So what do you think is the best buy based on all that?

Thanks for your advice

Daniel

xbox live gt: poobaboon

More about : advise laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 2:32:15 PM

> I am currently in the process of deciding which laptop to buy to replace
my
> desktop. The main features I am looking for are:
> Good graphics (see previous post)
> Mobile CPU > 2.6GHz

And when You go to buy a new car

Engine > 6000 U/Min

At my WDS content creation benchmark,
a 1.6 GHz Centrino is faster than a 3.06 GHz P4 HT

> Not too fussed about battery life as it will be used near a wall socket
and
> not bothered about wireless lan as I have cables in place and can always
buy
> the adapters if needed.

And annoying noise?

Have You ever gejoyied the sound of silence while working
on a computer?

Quiet! Silence! Nothing to disturb Your thoughts!

Best You buy a fast and silent notebook, a Centrino,
for example Acer Travelmate 663 LCI

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization

Check Acer 1700 series.

Regards,

K.Polak
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 6:34:47 PM

> Check Acer 1700 series.

He asked for a notebook, not a pesudo "notebook" with desktop CPU

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 12:30:54 PM

"Roland Mösl" <founder@pege.org> wrote in message
> > I am currently in the process of deciding which laptop to buy to replace
> my
> > desktop. The main features I am looking for are:
> > Good graphics (see previous post)
> > Mobile CPU > 2.6GHz
>
> And when You go to buy a new car
>
> Engine > 6000 U/Min
> And annoying noise?

Don't draw the comparison to cars... some of us have a real weak spot for
cars that can wail up to 8000+ rpm and probably would make it a buying
condition. Nothing sounds better than a Ferrari on full boil!

Still, I heartily agree on the Pentium-M

Stephen
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 12:36:44 PM

> > Check Acer 1700 series.
>
> He asked for a notebook, not a pesudo "notebook" with desktop CPU

He asked for "laptop to buy to replace my desktop".

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 12:36:45 PM

"Krystian Polak" <kuzda@wp.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Roland Mösl" <founder@pege.org> wrote in message
> > > Check Acer 1700 series.
> >
> > He asked for a notebook, not a pesudo "notebook" with desktop CPU
>
> He asked for "laptop to buy to replace my desktop".

You mean it has to be slow and noisy?

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 12:57:35 PM

"Stephen F." <fergusonNOSPAM@bluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Roland Mösl" <founder@pege.org> wrote in message
> > > I am currently in the process of deciding which laptop to buy to
replace
> > my
> > > desktop. The main features I am looking for are:
> > > Good graphics (see previous post)
> > > Mobile CPU > 2.6GHz
> >
> > And when You go to buy a new car
> >
> > Engine > 6000 U/Min
> > And annoying noise?
> >

> Don't draw the comparison to cars... some of us have a real weak spot for
> cars that can wail up to 8000+ rpm and probably would make it a buying
> condition.

My new Seat Alhambra has a 1.9 Litre TDI Diesel engine
115 hp at 4000 U/Min. 315 Nm Torque.

It's a low noise car with very high fuel economy
for a 7 seat minivan
85 to 100 mph on German highways at 34 mpg

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 10:59:59 PM

As I said, I cannot see any inconvenient noise and is enough quick for me to
do 3D job.

Give him your advice and let other peole give him their advices.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2004 1:40:20 AM

On Sat, 1 May 2004 22:25:26 +0100, Daniel
<daniel@nospamhalliwell1.plus.com> wrote:

> So what do you think is the best buy based on all that?

The Fujitsu Lifebook N series is a great desktop replacement. It's
insanely powerful, has an orgasmic screen, and good 3D hardware. Battery
life is two to three hours, but well, you can't have it all! I'm buying
the older N3010. I had two in a row with a damaged screen but I'm blaming
that on the store, and this time I've ordered directly from Fujitsu. I'll
let you know how the screen turns out on it...

http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesb...

Also check out this guide on CNet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4521-6527_7-5021302-1.html?tag=...

a b D Laptop
May 10, 2004 4:38:07 PM

"spaghetti" <spaghetti@aspyre.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:o pr7rf9io80ipbra@alice.mshome.net...
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 22:25:26 +0100, Daniel
> <daniel@nospamhalliwell1.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > So what do you think is the best buy based on all that?
>
> The Fujitsu Lifebook N series is a great desktop replacement.

This is not a notebook

This is a Pseudo "Notebook" with desktop CPU.

I tested a similar from Fujitsu
http://notebook.pege.org/benchmarks/content-creation-be...

and it was even slower than a 1.6 GHz Pentium-M Centrino

Intel has good reason to stop further development of the P4 line
and to base all future CPUs on the Pentium-M

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
May 11, 2004 12:30:19 PM

FROM MY POSTING IN ANOTHER THREAD

I just went through the exercise of researching laptop brands. Here is
what I found (more information than you asked for)-

(a) Dell- DON'T BUY (You get what you pay for. Poor quality product
but great warranty and sometimes good customer service. You could get
lucky and
get a good laptop... but that would be purely by chance)

(b) Gateway- Same as above except that customer service is poor and
chances of getting a good laptop are greatly reduced

(c) eMachines- Now part of Gateway. Infamous for shoddy workmanship
but claims they are *trying* to improve. I won't bet on it. Is one of
the few companies that has laptops with 64-bit chips.

(d) Compaq/HP- Haven't heard good things about it either.

(e) Sony- Good product but poor customer service and warranty. So if
you buy this brand, make sure you get warranty from a third party
reseller

(f) IBM- Have heard only good things about the product, customer
service and warranty. Doesn't seem to have features like DVD-RW. Price
slightly high end but product worth the price. Rated among the top 2
companies in Laptop reliability and customer satisfaction survey of PC
World

(g) Toshiba (the brand I went with)- Have heard good things about the
product. Customer service used to "not-so-good" till 1999-2000 time
frame but things have totally turned around now. Rated among the top 2
companies in Laptop reliability and customer satisfaction survey of PC
World

(h) Fujitsu- Machines are good but the only reason I didn't go with
this is because I couldn't get enough feedback on customer service and
warranty. I also could not find too many product reviews of Fujitsu
laptops. But whatever (few) reviews I have read have been positive.

If you are not looking for brand name laptops, then check out Sager,
Alienware, Acer etc.

Hope this helps
May 11, 2004 4:47:04 PM

On 11 May 2004 08:30:19 -0700, Kamal <kamald2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

> (h) Fujitsu- Machines are good but the only reason I didn't go with
> this is because I couldn't get enough feedback on customer service and
> warranty. I also could not find too many product reviews of Fujitsu
> laptops. But whatever (few) reviews I have read have been positive.

Fujitsu's support seems to be great. The many times I've called I've never
had to wait on hold and always got someone who was kind and helpful (and
who obviously wasn't in some other country!). However, I'm still having
problems with them (see my earlier post).

a b D Laptop
May 11, 2004 7:44:42 PM

Kamal wrote:

> FROM MY POSTING IN ANOTHER THREAD
>
> I just went through the exercise of researching laptop brands. Here is
> what I found (more information than you asked for)-
>
> (a) Dell- DON'T BUY (You get what you pay for. Poor quality product
> but great warranty and sometimes good customer service. You could get
> lucky and
> get a good laptop... but that would be purely by chance)
>
> <snip>

In defense of Dell...

If you read any of the Dell boards, you'll see very FEW complaints
about their products, especially the "business" lines, which include
Dell's Latitude laptops.

The biggest complaint about Dell appears to be their outsourcing of
customer support, a problem which is being addressed.

Remember, this little review of Kamal's is purely his/her opinion,
and not fact.

For that matter, so are my comments! <g>

Larry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2004 12:54:30 AM

Lawrence Glasser wrote:

> Kamal wrote:
> >
> > FROM MY POSTING IN ANOTHER THREAD
> >
> > I just went through the exercise of researching laptop brands. Here is
> > what I found (more information than you asked for)-
> >
> > (a) Dell- DON'T BUY (You get what you pay for. Poor quality product
> > but great warranty and sometimes good customer service. You could get
> > lucky and
> > get a good laptop... but that would be purely by chance)
> >
> > <snip>
>
> In defense of Dell...
>
> If you read any of the Dell boards, you'll see very FEW complaints
> about their products, especially the "business" lines, which include
> Dell's Latitude laptops.
>
> The biggest complaint about Dell appears to be their outsourcing of
> customer support, a problem which is being addressed.
>
> Remember, this little review of Kamal's is purely his/her opinion,
> and not fact.
>
> For that matter, so are my comments! <g>
>
> Larry

A minor correction... That should've been "... outsourcing of technical
support, ..."

Larry
May 19, 2004 8:05:39 AM

Since you went to the trouble to post your conclusions, it would have been
helpful if you had also provided the basis for those conclusions. As
written, it is mere opinion.
!