Sign in with
Your question

Noob needs help with SSD question

Last response: in Storage
April 30, 2011 4:21:15 AM

Greetings,
After a few months of visiting the site I gathered enough information to put a list of parts for my first build. Confident that my selections would work together for a fine new build I ordered my parts from Newegg earlier in the week and it all arrived today.

I've run into a "little headache" with the SSD that I ordered ..... The build is a desktop unit with an Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Mobo ,i2500k Cpu and a Cooler Master HAF 922 case .

To my dismay, the SSD that I ordered -Crucial 2.5 inch 64GB SSD C300DKT CTFDDAC06MAG-1G1CCA is for a notebook PC My bad- didn't do enough homework.

Can this drive be used for a desk top Mobo's and if so what type of adaptor connectors would I need to bail me out to successfully be able to use it's full capabilities? It comes with a adaptor for harddrive clonnig but the other end is USB...

Or do I need to return it- take my beating and order the correct SSD?

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : noob ssd question

a c 143 G Storage
April 30, 2011 1:50:58 PM

1.) The Crucial C300 is a perfect SSD for a desktop, so you didn't choose wrong (most SSD's are 2.5" :D  ).

2.) You plug in the SATA data cable and the SATA power cable to the SSD and connect the SATA data cable to the motherboard, just like any other hard drive. There is no special adapter needed for that.

3.) You need to purchase a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, such as this LIAN LI HD-322 Internal 2.5" HDD / SSD Mounting Kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!