Sign in with
Your question

External drive is spinning but not being recognized

Last response: in Storage
April 30, 2011 5:26:45 AM

Hello,
my hard drive on one computer stopped working so i took it out and have it hooked up to another laptop to retrieve the files, the failed disk is spinning but the second laptop is not recognizing the disk and nothing is comin up, what can i do to get the files back
a b G Storage
April 30, 2011 9:25:37 AM

jake28 said:
Hello,
my hard drive on one computer stopped working so i took it out and have it hooked up to another laptop to retrieve the files, the failed disk is spinning but the second laptop is not recognizing the disk and nothing is comin up, what can i do to get the files back

I would like to suggest you for a Data Recovery vendor. That will be risk free and comfortable.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 295 G Storage
May 2, 2011 4:26:31 PM

Akashdeep said:
I would like to suggest you for a Data Recovery vendor. That will be risk free and comfortable.

You have to tell me what lab you use for data recovery. Mine always tells me it's perfectly possible that they can't recover any data, and the price is far from comfortable!

Jake, there are a lot of cases on the forums where someone did a scan at home and recovered data. Look for posts by our member FreeDataRecovery. That name is a hint if ever I saw one. The idea is to hope that the disk's structure was trashed but individual blocks can still be read and re-assembled.
m
l
May 2, 2011 5:35:47 PM

Before you do something as extreme as contacting a data recovery vendor (because they usually do charge in the $1000's) see if you get any luck from the following hints:

- What are the specs of your external HD, may be easier to help.
- I'm assuming that your external drive uses both a power connector and a USB connector. Since the power connector is working, have you tried using a different USB cord?

- This may be a last resort, but what has worked for me in the past, to take apart the external drive enclosure, and install the actual hard-drive into my computer.
m
l
!