Alwayzwatchin

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I have a Dell Precision T7400 Workstation with 3.4 GHz Dual Xeon 5492,32GB RAM,1000GB SATA Drive,150GB SATA bootable drive,NVIDIA Quadrro FX4800 1.5 GB and XP 64 OS.Whenever i use 3DS Max 9 the system does not use more than 12-13 GB of RAM.How do i get it to use at least 28 GB considering that i spent a fortune on the high end variety for rendering?

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Most applications i know as of today don't use so much of ram.... In fact the ordinary everyday desktop systems don't make much of a difference between 6 gb and 8 gb

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If the task manager shows all 32GB available, then your 3DS Max 9 program just does not need that much. This is better than not having enough memory and forcing page swaps to the hard drive. You cannot force a program to load dummy data into ram.

Alwayzwatchin

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I ran a benchmark test and it runs quite smoothly with 3D Animation Scenes and all showing Max usage of Memory and CPU.Its only the 3DS Max i gues thats the main problem.I have another Workstation - assembled - Dual Core 2 Extreme CPU3.2 GHz,16GB RAM ECC,1000 GB SATA HDD,Nvidia Quadro 3700 1GB.It runs the same 3DS Max and the same files and renders them in no time at all.

1-Is it the Dell Workstation itself or too much RAM?
2-Is there a way to configure Max 9 with VRAY to use all the Maximum of the 32 GB RAM?

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
ram is like a kitchen counter top.. some dishes dont require 300ft of counter to prepare.. even for a banquet.

that's obviously a cheezy analogy

and why are you using windows xp 64bit thats the most horrid os since windows me.

put windows 7 64bit on there.

Dariusz

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
what reneder engine do you use ? meybe u got limits there, if no then ur scene is simply not heavy enought to use more ram

^ Agreement.

I like the anaology. I always liken it to your actual desk. It's your 'workspace'. Just because you have a 500 foot desk, doesn't mean that you'll use more than 2 or 3 feet of it.

You may also want to try disable your page file\virtual memory. That will force everything into RAM, which you have plent\overkill of.

I just don't think the program uses that much RAM. Maybe if you work with some larger projects... But I'm not familiar with the program.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Alot of RAM is good for disk cache; lowering the need to access the disk since the data is kept in RAM instead. Especially if your system has no SSD and relies on static data on disk, with a non-sequential access pattern, alot of RAM can certainly help.

But 32GB is quite alot, and it depends on your application whether it can utilize this large amount of RAM effectively.

physicsbreaklaws

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

If you want to use all that ram you will have to run allot of programs at once but ask yourself this are

you going to use all those programs at once........lol your best bet is to let some of your friends have some of your extra ram if

possible or just wait till windows 8 comes out and spend more money to use more ram he he

Do not do this. Many applications will crash if virtual memory is unavailable, even if you have enough physical memory to store all of your data.

http://serverfault.com/questions/23621/any-benefit-or-detriment-from-removing-a-pagefile-on-an-8gb-ram-machine

That being said, you may not be using that much memory. My machine carries 24GB of memory for CFD mesh generation. I don't always use all of it, but it's by no means an issue.

Architectureguy

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I had rendered in Max 2011 using Mental Ray, and Revit 2010 using the Accurender engine. My Dell T5400 has 32 Gb of Ram also and I don't come close to using it all. I've got the Quadro 4600 768mb graphics card. Max 2011 uses about 8-10gb depending on the model. Revit will go up to about 12gb of usage, but Accurender isn't as efficient of a rendering engine as Mentral Ray or Vray. Since then I have upgarded to 2012 Revit and Max both running Mental Ray to render. Max usage I see is maybe 9gb on a really complex model with lots of light refraction.

The 1.5 on the 4800 FX card you won't really utilize either unless you upgrade Max and start rendering in Quicksilver or iRay which actually use your GPU to render with.