Help with OC Athlon 440

guner7

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Hello,

If this is the wrong section I was in, admin please move it to the appropriate area as I really can't find and not sure where to post this question.

I am very new to OC and this system as well is my very first build.
Athlon x3 440, M4N68T-M V2, 4GB corsair DDR3, window 7 64bit.

I've read through the guide here, http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/10...-friendly.html, and was trying to OC my cpu bit by bit.

It is fine for me to hit 220Mhz ref clock with cpu multi x15, NB multi x9 and Ram 553Mhz. (not sure as well if it was a correct way to do so). But when I reach 230 MHZ, it will fail log into windows. Time to increase the vcore? My bios didn't show what is the current vcore, it was 'Auto' all the time. CPUz show it was 1.128 in idle, but will bump to 1.46 under Prime95 testing. So how should I raise the vcore actually? Was the fail boot into window has something to do with Ram stuff?

FYI, I'd raise the vcore by 0.025 at a time when it refuse boot into windows, but it remain faulty even the vcore reach 1.45. I afraid I'll eventually damage the cpu before I know what I'm doing, and do it right.

Can please someone help me with this OC? I may not push this OC too hard just enough for me to learn something new.

Thanks.

Solution
Depending on how user friendly your Bios is I would start out by reseting you board back to factory settings, then I would not even worry about volteges just yet , work on stepping up the Ref clock until you get a unstable boot up , and then bump it back down a bit , run Burn in test at full setting for the Ram and Cpu. I believe that you have a locked multiplier? yes?. anyways leave everything on auto but your ref clock and work with that until stable. Next I would try playing with your Hyper thread link this is the link between Cpu and Ram. I would only concentrate on one overclock at a time re : CPU , Get a stable run out of that then , put it back to factory settings then work on finding a stable overclock for your ram. Then i would...

JDRUM

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Depending on how user friendly your Bios is I would start out by reseting you board back to factory settings, then I would not even worry about volteges just yet , work on stepping up the Ref clock until you get a unstable boot up , and then bump it back down a bit , run Burn in test at full setting for the Ram and Cpu. I believe that you have a locked multiplier? yes?. anyways leave everything on auto but your ref clock and work with that until stable. Next I would try playing with your Hyper thread link this is the link between Cpu and Ram. I would only concentrate on one overclock at a time re : CPU , Get a stable run out of that then , put it back to factory settings then work on finding a stable overclock for your ram. Then i would try a simple bump up of both until you get a crash then bump it back down and see how your setting works for both ram and cpu together. Run either Burn in test or AIDA64 to keep a better eye on everything. ? let me know how it goes Ill be happy to help.

Solution

guner7

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
You're right, the cpu has locked multiplier.
Thanks for laying out the basic and a clear steps to how OC should proceed. This will serve as better understood note for me.

However, I had already stop OC on this rig as I felt my mobo isn't made for it, not even a bit...
But I'll definitely do that on my next rig. ;)