Strange prob with my key board :(

x1y1z1

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi frnds

im using both windows 7 and windows xp .. im using ps 2 keyboard ... the problem is really strange that when i logged into xp my system is not accepting any input from the keyboard mouse is working fine on xp ... when i pressing keys i can hear a strange sound from my cpu ...only num lock ,caps lock and scroll lock keys are working.... where as the same keyboard is working fine on windows 7 ... i don't understand what the prob is ????

nhagc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I am having a similar problem but I can't even log on. I have tried unplugging and replugging both the mouse and the keyboard. Since they are both PS2 I even tried plugging in a USB mouse and it still didn't work, even though I've used it on this machine before so I know the drivers are on there (I borrowed it to use on my Windows 7 machine.). I am about to reload the OS but I wanted to check on the net first to see it I can get away without having to reload. The funny thing is, it was working fine, I walked away and came back the next day, and it didn't work.

Possible causes:
1- virus infection
2- driver corruption

Suggestions:
1- Run virus and malware scans from Windows 7,
2- Run checkdsk, defragg the XP partition
3- Use a USB keyboard or PS2 to USB adapter
4- Reintall the XP System

My old computer had similar problems.. The mouse stopped working after 10-20 minutes of inactivity.. a USB adapter solved it temporarily. Later the keyboard had the same symptoms and temporary solution. Later on it would only boot cold... and finally failed completely. This took about a month and half from beggining to end... the motherboard turned out to be damaged. The strange thing is the same keyboard intermittently failed on another computer where I was also using the same Power Supply... replacing the PSU solved that one but no such luck on the first computer, that one definetely had a ruined motherboard.

If you have PS2 or USB keyboard use to reinstall the OS, that may be your best option but if you don't you'll probably need a new motherboard.. you may be able to solve the problem with a PCI card with PS/2 ports... there's no guarantee it would definetely solve the problem but $10.00-$15.00 is a small price to pay as compared to a new motherboard, the following OS reinstall, reinstalling drivers, etc. Also consider the PSU condition because a weak one can cause similar problems (based on my own experience).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124045
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124061